Engine Pics & Train Stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
UP SD40-2 said:
Umm...ok Miles:rolleyes:...the question IS NOT, how to weather a car, announce1 it's WHAT DOES THE "AVERAGE" MODERN BOXCAR LOOK LIKE TO YOU?:confused:(please read post #448 on page 30 of this thread) with the answer you gave me though, i take it the "average" modern boxcar to YOU is quite beat up:thumb:. THANKS!:D-Deano

sign1 Well., that's what I see on most boxcars wround here, and that's what I noticed missing from your models! :cry: I though a lil' siggestion might help.

As far as how they look around here...They're either VERY old (I saw an "Automated Railway UP box last weekend! :eek: Can't believe they're still out there! And the very new, UNTAGGED(!) ripply, shiny, new Railboxes and CP cars galore! (and this is in the Bay Area, California!

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
oh cripes Miles, i see a ton of "old stuff" run through here:thumb: . haven't seen any 40'ers in YEARS, but 50'ers of old, galore;) . there are some gons that roll through here, i swear you can read NOTHING on them, yet they roll them into the scrap yard 3 times a week:thumb:. i will be taking 1 vacation day a week starting this Friday- till Christmas, i am going to try and get some shots of the local freights on the days off:thumb: . i will post some of the pics i am able to take:D . :D -Deano

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Fuel Tanker?

anyone know what this tanker is? a fuel tanker?:confused: i have NEVER seen this before, and am curious as to what it is. is this a common thing seen by any of you folks? THANKS!:D -Deano View attachment 31078

Attachments

• up6841c..JPG
    up6841c..JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 68

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
Yep, that looks like a fuel tender to me.. BN actually started using those back in the 1980's... They would have a tanker car rebuilt to be a tender (some with a saddle-tank across the top to carry lube for a flange-lubrication system) and it would be spliced in between two locos outfitted to draw fuel from it.

bnft28_47b2.jpg

Pretty neat!

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Dean, I seem to recall reading in Trains magazine, some years ago, about Burlington Northern experimenting with the use of a tank car as a fuel tender for diesels. I don't have the magazines any more, so I can't say if it was to extend the range between refueling stops, or if it was to take advantage of the situation when fuel prices were low. Or, perhaps this is U.P.'s attempt at trying to re-create the appearance of a "Big Blow".:rolleyes: If that's the case, I believe that the "tender" should be at the rear of the lash-up.:D

Wayne

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
WOW!! Tom and Wayne, THANK YOU!, for the speedy responses:thumb::D . i would LOVE to model the "fuel tender":thumb: . Tom, your good with finding engines:thumb: , any chance in locating ANY pics of the UP tenders? THANKS GUYS!:D -Deano

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
THANK YOU SO MUCH TOM!!!:thumb::thumb::thumb::D Tom, YOU my friend, ARE THE MAN!:thumb: TOTALLY AWESOME SHOTS TO MODEL FROM!!!:D the fuel nozzle and fuel management decals will be a challenge to do, but i am DEFIANTLY going to make one of these:D . THANKS again Tom!:D -Deano

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
LongIslandTom said:
Nah.. You don't need to make your own decals.. Microscale has a set available for HO: 87-978.

Hope this helps, and looking forward to photos of your consists! :thumb:
HOLLEY SMOKES TOM!, your just a fountain of info:thumb: . man, i REALLY owe ya:D , THANKS TOM!!!:D I'm going to Walther's to see if i can find em:thumb: . :D -Deano

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
Wow,:eek: Fuel Tender, I didn't even now they had those,:eek:ops: They are pretty cool!!:thumb:

Deaon, cant wait to see some pics from your vacation O and that fuel tender you do sounds like it will be sweet!!:D :D

Tom, How do you do it, you always come through, and QIUCKLY I might add too :thumb: :thumb:

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Tom
the way you come up with pics and info is truly amazing!!
Deano
That tender will look awesome on one of your trains! Can't wait to see it

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Fantastic Vacation Day!!!

WOW FOLKS!!!:eek: GREAT vacation day for me!:D announce1 SORRY FOLKS, NOT GREAT PICS:(. OK, i got up, grabbed my camera, and set out for a couple spots here in town where i know there are usually freight cars i could get some shots of;) . it was kinda a nasty day out, looked like it would rain any minute, TOTAL overcast all day. i found some cars on my first stop, at a place here in town we call switch-track alley:thumb:. I took some shots of them(pictured below)and checked a couple more spots out...no more luck here in town:( . well after i finished running around town, i decided i would head over to dads, to help him on his layout, BUT WAIT!, i needed 2 medium sized trees to put in the town park on his layout, better head to the hobby shop in Janesville FIRST:thumb:. SO off i went to the LHS in Janesville, not only did i need trees, but i wanted a couple gons and a tanker car to use for the UP fuel tender i want to make:thumb:. i got the trees, and 2 gons, 1 CNW and 1 UP:thumb:, NO luck on the tanker though:( . as i left the LHS, i figured i would stop by WSOR's round house, since it was only a block away...sadly, NOTHING was there, guess the engines were all out to work:(. announce1 THATS IT!!!:curse: I GOT MY CAMERA AND NO GREAT SHOTS:curse:, i said to myself...then it dawned on me, since I'm i Janesville, might as well head over to UP's yard!!!:D announce1 NEXT POST, MY TRIP TO THE UP YARD!!!... View attachment 31113 View attachment 31114 View attachment 31115 View attachment 31116 View attachment 31117

Attachments

• BB1.JPG
    BB1.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 70
  • BB2.JPG
    BB2.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 75
  • BB3.JPG
    BB3.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 71
  • BB4.JPG
    BB4.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 82
  • BB5.JPG
    BB5.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 79

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
FANTASTIC VACATION DAY!!!...continued

THE UP yard in Janesville is part of the Harvard Sub, and was on the other side of town from the LHS. on my way to the UP yard i was held up by 2 UP MP15DC's at a crossing, YES!!!:thumb: i was glad to see them:D, but not smart enough to get the camera out to get a couple shots:rolleyes:. just as i was coming up to the yard entrance, 2 UP SD40-2's were backing a ballast car train into the yard!!!:D I GOT PICS OF THAT!!!:thumb:. announce1 NOW THE DAY WAS GOING GREAT!!!:thumb: ME at the UP yard...I AM HOME!!!:D the yard was REAL BUSY, i couldn't get as close to everything as i wanted, but i got close enough to HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!:thumb::D announce1 SOME OF THE HIGHLIGHTS; i seen 7 MP15DC's, a TON of DASH-8's & DASH-9's!!!:D , a BUNCH of AC4400's!!!:D , a FEW SD40-2's:D , and 3 GP40's, one was a UP, one was a patched SP, AND ONE WAS A PATCHED RIO GRANDE!!!:D AWESOME!!:thumb: I seen a MULTITUDE of autoracks, hoppers, covered hoppers, 86.5' boxcars, and a few other assorted freight cars!!!:thumb::D. announce1SOME, OF THE PICS OF THE UP YARD ARE BELOW AND IN THE NEXT POST;) ...announce1 AFTER THAT, the 4TH POST: THE TRIP BACK TO DADS! View attachment 31120 View attachment 31121 View attachment 31122 View attachment 31123 View attachment 31124

Attachments

• J1.JPG
    J1.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 69
  • J2.JPG
    J2.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 70
  • J3.JPG
    J3.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 70
  • J4.JPG
    J4.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 70
  • J5.JPG
    J5.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 68

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Fantastic Vacation Day!!!...the End!

SHEEW!!!:eek: I don't know about you folks, but i got so excited over the last 2 posts, i had to stop and have a cigarette!;)tooth1 ANYWAYS, the guys at the yard were starting to give me some dirty looks, so i figured i would hightail it out of there, and head over to dads to and tell him about the day so far, then do some work on his layout:thumb:. i got to dads, and we talked a bit, then dad started doing the ballasting, and i started on the park. NEITHER of us got to far, talked more then anything;) . the day ended for me at his house around 5, had to get home as my son was home from school, and i had to make supper. after that was done i put the CNW gon together, still need to do the UP gon. announce1 PICS BELOW; 1st pic is of a piece of track here in town, WOW, 1948!:thumb: 2nd pic, some of dads ballasting. 3rd & 4th picsannounce1 THE PARK IS NOT DONE, just set up to give you folks a preview of how i want it to look;). the sidewalk going to the statue is only a paper stencil, i need to trace it on styrene, and paint it, NOTHING is glued down, need to do A LOT of work to it yet, and needs people too.:thumb: LAST PIC, the 2 gons o bought today!:D i placed the UP on the CNW so i could get BOTH in the same shot:thumb: . WELL, THATS IT FOLKS! THANKS!:D -Deano View attachment 31129 View attachment 31130 View attachment 31131 View attachment 31132 View attachment 31133

Attachments

• DD1.JPG
    DD1.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 64
  • DD2.JPG
    DD2.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 65
  • DD3.JPG
    DD3.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 64
  • DD4.JPG
    DD4.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 65
  • DD5.JPG
    DD5.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 64

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
UP SD40-2 said:

Hey, Dean, whattheheck kinda wildlife have you got out your way? That's one big bite outa that sign!jawdrop
Looks like you had a good day, especially at your Dad's. The park is coming along nicely. Sometimes when cn nutbar comes to visit, we too spend as much time talking as we do playing trains: either way, it's always an enjoyable get-together.

Wayne

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
THANK YOU Wayne!:D not sure when i will get back to dads to finish the park, next 2-3 weekends are busy for him. as usual though, i WILL post ANY progress made:thumb:. THANK YOU! :D-Deano

Status
Not open for further replies.