Engine Pics & Train Stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
PART 1 of 2

Steve & Steven, THANKS! guys:D **Steven, yes, there are ONLY 3 RSD-15's left, sad isn't it:cry:. announce1 i thought i too, would jump on the "roll by" band wagon;) . what i tried to do with this set of pics, is make the train pretty prototypical to what runs through here:thumb:. where i live the UP comes from Rockford, out of the Belvedere sub. seems like most of the engines and cars that run through here are on their last leg, for the most part:(. yet the units and cars in Janesville(next to us), come from the Harvard sub, and the equipment is A LOT newer, and in MUCH BETTER shape:thumb: . ANYWAYS, TWO things could make this train 100% more accurate, but sadly, right now i don't have the cars to do it:( . if you took the train i made up, and added 3 OLD BEAT up gondolas, and about 4 OLD BEAT up covered hoppers(mental note:BUY THESE Deanohamr), then THIS TRAIN WOULD BE VERY typical OF WHAT RUNS THROUGH HERE;):D. THANKS!:D -Deano View attachment 30995 View attachment 30996 View attachment 30997 View attachment 30998 View attachment 30999

Attachments

• aaa.JPG
    aaa.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 92
  • bbb.JPG
    bbb.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 95
  • ccc.JPG
    ccc.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 90
  • ddd.JPG
    ddd.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 89
  • eee.JPG
    eee.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 90

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
Been a while since I've seen a train roll through Crystal Lake, but the mainline through Elmhurst, Glen Ellyn, Lombard, etc will have just about any type of freight car you can think of in the same train. Gondola, hopper, covered hopper, autorack, variety of tankers, boxcars, bulkhead, etc. Very cool to see that

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Nice roll-by, Dean, those weathered cars look good with those "feelthy" diesels. The traffic backing up while the train passes is also a nice touch. :thumb: I notice that your Railbox car appears to have wire grabirons: is that from the manufacturer, or are you branching out in your detailing projects?:D

Wayne

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
doctorwayne said:
...:thumb: I notice that your Railbox car appears to have wire grab irons: is that from the manufacturer, or are you branching out in your detailing projects?:D
Wayne
Steven, Wayne and Josh:wave:, THANK YOU!:D i hate to say it though, but the more i looked at the pics, i feel i should have used a different choice of cars to capture the true look of what runs through my hometown:eek:ops: . the engines were "spot on":thumb: , but i should have picked cars i have weathered a little heaver then did for the shoot, to REALLY achieve the TRUE look of what runs through my hometown;). i am amazed at half the equipment that rolls through here, seems like a good part of it should have been scrapped years ago;) . after i get a couple gons, perhaps i will try again:thumb: . **Wayne, the railbox was a kit, yes, i put the grabs on, but they came with the kit(i have an Illinois Terminal box thats the same, i am working on now). ONE of the MANY things i admire about YOUR work is all the GREAT DETAIL you put into ALL your engines and cars:thumb: . the extra work you put into them makes for A VERY REALISTIC LOOK:thumb: , that IS inspirational;) . for now though, i think I'm going to stick with trying to make my engines look as "real", as i can:eek:ops: . once i feel i have achieved that, i am going to try and put the detail in my cars. THANKS! :D -Deano

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Please...

OK FOLKS, i am sorry to throw a barrage of weathering pics at you for the last couple weeks, but your responses/not responding IS REALLY HELPING me out:thumb: . over the last couple weeks, i have studied more pics then i can count;), fact is, i have to ask myself, "what does an average modern box look like"?:confused: what i mean is, in my area, average is about wore out;) . i have put 2 pics of a box below, obviously NOT all rusted out, is this close to what you folks would call "average"? or is it to light, or to dirty, or just about right. OR, perhaps one of the cars i posted in my last "roll by" is close to what YOU would consider "average". announce1 I AM VERY CURIOUS TO SEE just what YOU FOLKS consider to be "average":thumb: . THANKS! :D -Deano View attachment 31036 View attachment 31037

Attachments

• DSC08650a.JPG
    DSC08650a.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC08649b.JPG
    DSC08649b.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 74

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
Deano, that D & RGW Boxcar looks good so far.

As for average, from what I notcied around here, the D &RGW, Rail Box, GWS, and FGE are pretty close to average around here. I have not seen boxcars in a while, I have mostly seen Intermodal trains. But the last time I saw a freight train was about 3 months ago:eek:ops: when I went to the HS in Yorba Linda CA, were there are BNSF tracks

Sorry I couldn't be more of a help.:(

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Deano
looks great!:thumb:
I don't know what is average but in my PERSONAL OPINION that box car looks about right. Having said that...I wouldn't weather anything lighter than that. I just like the way they look when they're weathered on the heavy side;). But I'm also interested in what other think.
Josh: congrats on 1000!......I guess I better pick up the pace!:D

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Doh!! Forgot To Tell Ya...

MilesWestern said:
...sorry, this is unrealated, but look at the graffiti on dis...
SORRY FOLKS, even though graffiti on rail cars IS a fact of life these days:rolleyes:, I HATE IT, and will NEVER put it on ANYTHING I HAVE!;) besides, here at the "Rock Valley Sub", we have ways of dealing with those that try and tag cars or engines on OUR watch...;)tooth1. below is a pic of one instance where the Rock Valley crew caught a punk(on the ground) trying to tag a boxcar:eek:. Bruno, the "hothead engineer" on the crew takes matters into his own hands, as the rest of the crew watchestooth1 . word gets around, and well, we don't have a much of a graffiti problem here:thumb: . :D -Deano View attachment 31038

Attachments

• graph.JPG
    graph.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 255

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
MilesWestern said:
Remember to rist the MOVING parts of the boxcar, such as the hinges, latches, door tracks, ect. Also might want to put rusty dent streaks where they used a forklift to colse the door.http://
Umm...ok Miles:rolleyes:...the question IS NOT, how to weather a car, announce1 it's WHAT DOES THE "AVERAGE" MODERN BOXCAR LOOK LIKE TO YOU?:confused:(please read post #448 on page 30 of this thread) with the answer you gave me though, i take it the "average" modern boxcar to YOU is quite beat up:thumb:. THANKS!:D-Deano

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
It appears to me that Bruno isn't done with the job...looks like the tagger still has some life in him yet. But maybe he got the idea to leave what isn't his alone though and Bruno can turn it down a notch.

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Josh, Steve, Miles, and Steven, a BIG THANKS!, to you guys for answering my weathering question:thumb: . i too, like the equipment weathered a little on the "heavy" side;) . **Steve, Herc, Kurt and g_e_c, THANKS!!:D , for the comments on the "tagger" pic:D . i know the pics a little "barbaric", but the sight of graffiti on train equipment just sickens me:curse: . imagine going out to YOUR CAR to go to work, and then you see graffiti all over it:eek: , are your teeth clenched yet?;):curse: as i mentioned, i know it would be prototypical to put on, but i WILL NEVER, put graffiti on my stuff;) . THANKS!:D -Deano

Status
Not open for further replies.