Engine Mfg.???

highflyinguy

Dec 6, 2006
Longmont Colorado
I have just restarted my n-scale train activities after a 5 year lay-off. I find myself with a 2-8-2 USRA Mikado but don't know the manufacturer. The tender is hard wired to the engine and has pickups on the tender. I have a parts page but it dose not mention the manufactrer.
My desire is for it to pull a few newly purchased Overland passenger cars which are new from Athern (Old Roundhouse) with knuckle couplers. The Mikado tender has a Rapido coupler and I wisch to make the tender and cars compatible as far as couplers.
Anyone have a guess who made the engine and how I can get the right couplers on the engine or cars?

woodone

Feb 7, 2007
Phoenix, AZ.
Jerry,
Don't know if this might help, Atlas imported (Rivarossi) Mikados. If it is a Rivarossi the name Rivarossi will be in real small skrip on the back of the motor. There are no other IDs on them as far has I can see. I have one and that is the only mfg mark that I see.
woodone

umtrr-author

Dec 19, 2003
Visit site
Bachmann and Kato have also made Mikados. The description sounds a bit like a Bachmann. However, they aren't hardwired; maybe someone made that change.

Didn't Con-Cor import the Rivarossi steamers after Atlas ended that arrangement?

woodone

Feb 7, 2007
Phoenix, AZ.
Not sure how Bachmann attached the tender to the loco. The Kado is a very differant set up. The draw bar presses in to a opening on the loco, very hard to get apart, unless you are trying to.
Can you post a photo or two? maybe someone will be able to ID it that way.

highflyinguy

Dec 6, 2006
Longmont Colorado
The draw bar is rectangular plastic with wires going thru it, both either engine or tender have be taken apart to get drawbar out.
Don't have any means to take picture. I'm thinking it might be an Atlas.
Will check out their web page and e-mail them to see if I get a response.
Thanks for the replies, Jerry

woodone

Feb 7, 2007
Phoenix, AZ.
Jerry,
I don't think that it is an Atlas. I have two Atlas Mikados, and they both have a metal draw bar with a small spring to get good contact. It sounds like a Kato, not sure.

highflyinguy

Dec 6, 2006
Longmont Colorado
Thanks for leading me in the right direction. It is a Model Power Mikado.
Now to figure out how to replace the Rapido coupler on the tender and I'll be running a new train with Overland passenger cars.
I do have an old boxcar with a Rapido on one end and a knuckle coupler on the other. It will do to run train for the moment. I'll check with my local N sacle supplier near me in Denver, "N Scale Supply" about that.
Can't remember buying that engine but at age 62, 5 years ago seems like a long time ago to have the memory kick in.
Thanks again, Jerry