Engine Identity help please!

vilefileman

Picked this up the other day, And I cant get it to run, nor can I identify it. I just moved from HO to n scale, so this is all new to me. What is the board on top?
What is the make model, etc? It says austria on the bottom.

Rick

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 90
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 77

shaygetz

From the flywheels and circuit board, I'd say it was an 80s Atlas or Kato offering. The loco itself is on the tip of my tongue, I know it's a Alco by the fan on the rear. It'll come to me...about 3:30 in the morning :rolleyes:

hswn

You've got an FA. I believe it was an Atlas model they are a good running loco. I have two the board on top is just picking up power from both trucks and dropping it to the motor. make sure that the motor has good contack with the two strips of copper sticking down from the board. The little metal pieces on either side on the top are part of an upgradeing they were bought seperate to add wait the up grade kit also included an axle with tracktion tires. One of my two was bought second hand the chap had added the wieght but not the tracktion tire. Altough now dated compared with some of the equipment on the market today, these are nice units. I've permently coupled mine back to back, with them drawed in to a more prototyplical spaceing. I've soldered two wires between them to inprove electrical pick up, they have eight wheel pick up but I had been in a modual group in which some people didn't maintain thier track. Now I must finish painting them and then look at converting them to DCC.
Brady