Engine ID please

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by aartwmich, Dec 10, 2002.

1. trainrobber

trainrobber New Member

I'm almost positive that your 0-4-0 switcher is a Varney judging from the valve assembly and more importantly the drawbar. As for cleaning up the brushes and contacts, pick up a can of "electical parts cleaner" used for degriming electonics. I get mine at Home Depot and it works great. Best part is that you only have to remove the shell, but it does require you to re-lube the engine. Have fun

2. Mike R

Mike R Member

Sean, assuming you don't have time to read this thread, would you care for a small wager on what make the engine is? Say a couple of hundred $ or so???:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    regards / Mike;) ;)
  3. aartwmich

aartwmich Member

LOL Mike R :D

Sean..if you read back thru the thread..you will see that we discovered(*I* didnt read the bottom of the engine!) that the engine is a Mantua
  4. trainrobber

trainrobber New Member

Go figure, 3 days hooked up to "the guage" and already I'm making an +*# of myself. I should have known with the loco lacking those typical Varney WIRE contacts to the wheels that it wasn't a Varney, just a little hasty. My apollogies, I don't mean to build up such a "good" reputation right away. LOL
  5. trainrobber

trainrobber New Member

Mike, maybe I'll catch you on the next one?
  6. Mike R

Mike R Member

Hello Sean..... and welcome !....you sure might get me on the next one, as there's definitely equipment out there I cannot readily identify !
    regards / Mike:D :D :D
  7. TR-Flyer

TR-Flyer Member

Just came back to this thread today. Glad to see that trains are helping to bring people together. Too bad about TF's golf game. Looks like you lost a winner in Aart'y there Tom. Unfortunately, i don’t' golf and i'm happily married, so i can't "take advantage" of Ms. Aart's fine qualities either. Just have to content myself with being train buddies on The Gauge.

But, back on subject, i think, well, at least the LAST topic of discussion. I haven't noticed that the dust collects any worse. And the benefits of reduced oxidation are outstanding. OF course, my modules are stored in a garage or attic in SC so dust is pretty radical. I vacuum my modules before i take them to the shows.