1. Ladies & gentlemen, I would like to announce that there is a new photo gallery section. You can create your own personal photo gallery (to include setting up your own albums). You can even post videos. You can also post and share photos in the galleries of others (if that person allows such), as well . ENJOY!!!

Engine 18 BCoFD...

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by shaygetz, Feb 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

On my module thread, I made reference to modifying a fire truck model to look something like the one my late father drove as a Firefighter--- http://www.the-gauge.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7012

Starting with a picture of a similar piece of equipment called an Ariel Snorkel, I now had an idea of the basic details and paint scheme. Thankfully, I won't have to replicate the white stripe or the snorkel as they came after his retirement.

Attached Files:

2. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

I found this at a flea market, a promo piece from Readers Digest of all things, and a "freebie" light bar that comes with the box from a line of children's shoes. It has three LEDs that flash marque style off of 2 AA batteries.

Attached Files:

3. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

The clear domes replicated older BCoFD lighting very well. Careful removal of the solder gave me 3 easy to relocate bulbs. I learned not to be afraid of applying too much heat as these things took quite a beating during my "explorer" phase. Using leftover wires from DCC decoder projects, I extended each light circuit to it's proper location. On the rear, to reduce the number of exposed wires, I used the wire handrail as part of the circuit, extending it into the tank body. Ther I soldered a feeder wire to it, then soldered one side of the LEDs to either end of the hand rail as shown. I used steel for the hand rail, I HIGHLY recommend using brass for its ease of soldering.

Attached Files:

4. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

The circuit board fit perfectly in the tank, with the wires coming down behind the rear wheels. I used shrink tubing to secure everything.

Attached Files:

5. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Then I tested to make sure...

Attached Files:

6. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

that it all...

Attached Files:

7. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

...worked. If you scroll these 3 frames up and down reeeeally fast, you'll get some idea of the effect:p ;) Onward to the paintshop....

Attached Files:

8. Ray Marinaccio

Ray Marinaccio Active Member

Another neat project. :thumb: :thumb:
  9. CN1

CN1 Active Member

Cooool:thumb:

Great job, awesome:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I try scrolling up-&-down real fast, as you suggested, but the only thing I saw was an ad that kept saying "Buy more stuff at your LHS":confused: :D :D :D :D :D
  10. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Nuts, you weren't 'sposed to actually SEE the ad, you were 'sposed to be hypnotically driven to DO the ad:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
  11. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Well shaygetz
    you never know what you will find EH!
    Readers Digest HMMMMM
    Thanks for the how to.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.