Enfeild L85A2 AR

Discussion in 'Everything else' started by Nothing, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Nemesis7485

Nemesis7485 Member

Some Royal Marines had the SA-80 on trial during the Falklands war. One complaint that came out of that was the fact that in many cases, they had to hit a "target" multiple times before they went down. This negates the advantage of a bigger round capacity to a degree. Mebbe I'm just old fashioned or biased, even though the 80 is a VERY nice weapon, handling-wise.

I can't believe how well this model is coming together. Looking fantastic allready. I want to get my hands on a copy but, believe it or not, I think this will actually be illegal in the UK. Even plastic toy guns are illegal here if they look realistic.
  2. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Yeah I noticed the 'comma' styled cocking handle.
  3. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

My argument for the larger round in a nutshell, anything hit by a 7.62 bullet stays down and it will punch through cinder blocks and fairly large trees on its way. As for the model being illegal, being a printed work, wouldn't it be covered by the freedom of the press? ;-)
  4. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

yeas ive tried to make this an A2. the upgrade pack i was refering to was for the AFV,carbine,and L86 LSW. thank you everyone for the nice comments.
    finished up the forward section today.
  5. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Nothing...Look real cool. Just thinking to build this model in 1/6 scale and show in my desk :)
  6. Nemesis7485

Nemesis7485 Member

Cor Bliiiiimey! That's awesome, Nothing. I have GOT to get me one of those. Marvelous work, mate. :thumb:
  7. Janx

Janx Member

That looks fantastic Nothing.
  8. shiftdel

shiftdel Member

Hey, I almost missed this one, rarely I look on this forum.

Anyway, you created another masterpiece, Nothing, congrats, again!!
  9. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

thank you everyone. i am taking a break from this subject for a bit as i work on an AK47 but will get back to the varient options soon.
  10. ninja_doc

ninja_doc Member

beautiful design and build. As always.
  11. jgderuvo

jgderuvo Member

Very nicely done. Where's the model at for download?
  12. saiedabdo

saiedabdo New Member

A new and innovative effort and clear
    Where's the model at to download it
  13. Grimsteruk

Grimsteruk New Member

Same as Nemesis7485 I was also serving at the time we switched over from the SLR (the UK version of the FN-FAL) to SA80, same issues too with the thing falling to pieces. The plastic melted if you wore insect repellant, the barrel would bend in cold environments after a few uses, the list was endless and we all wanted our SLR's back. You only really see SLR's in video of wars in Africa now, some South America etc. I guess we sold them all.

Nice job on the model. Is it available?
  14. shiftdel

shiftdel Member

15. Nolan_stevenson44

Nolan_stevenson44 New Member

Hey you doing this off blueprints? Just asking
  16. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Nothing's knowledge of weaponry is incredible. I am sure he has his sources, his works speaks for itself. Must be some good resources though. :)
  17. This is paper?....no way!
  18. RobTACP

RobTACP New Member

Wow, very nice. I am very interested in the 1/1 weapons as it provides some relatively inexpensive wallhangers. Though I am warming up on 1/1 weapons with a sci-fi rifle (Aliens M41A1) I am eager to do some models of actual weapons, L85 among them.

Some of the folks I have had the oppotunity to work with said the L85 was greatly improved over the original that some of you were forced to switch to, but they were all preferring to use our M4 carbine. It was an neat weapon to play around with as the bullpup configuration differs a lot from our M4 carbine.

Regarding the 5.56 vs 7.62 debate, the US military has some greatly improved (regarding ballistic performance) 5.56 rounds in the inventory right now but at the same time they are fielding a lot of modernized M14s and a few SCAR-H chambered for 7.62 because of the longer engagement distances we are encountering in Afghanistan. Just a little $.02 hijack added in there in addition to some praise for a great looking 1/1 build.
  19. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I find that very interesting! Makes sense though. Maybe someday, we can just shoot the enemy from the living room, of course, they'd probably be able to shoot back. There might be an app for that. :)