Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by dhanners, Nov 3, 2006.

  1. dhanners

    dhanners Member

    I added three photos of my latest, an Energia-Buran in 1/96th scale, to "dhanners' gallery." Hope all y'all like it....

    The model is a combination of two kits. Most of the Energia and all the Buran comes from a kit designed by Leo Cherkashyn and offered on the Lower Hudson Valley Challenger Center website. Some of the boosters and a few other bits and pieces come from an unpublished and unfinished kit designed by Ton Noteboom.

    Most of it is 67-pound paper, but for the corrugated sections of the core stage (the interstage and a section of the bottom) I used a white corrugated paper I found at an art supply store. I also used a metallic silver paper for the engine nozzles.

    I added various detail throughout, based on reference photos I could find online.

    So there you have it....

    David Hanners
    St. Paul, MN
  2. sdk2knbk

    sdk2knbk Guest

  3. jparenti

    jparenti Member

    Very nice! Excellent detailing job. I built the Buran from jleslie's site when it came out, but I stalled on the Energia. The bottom of the core section gave me fits -- couldn't get the cylinders to sit parallel with the body tube. :mad:
  4. jasco

    jasco Member

    Typically beautiful work, David! I was gawping around your gallery and I saw your Delta II Gravity Probe model. I just completed a version of this myself and wondered how you made the wiring tunnels on the sides of the rocket rounded per the prototype. I tried forming the printed tunnels around a piece of string using white glue and came up with a gloppy mess. I ulimately gave up on the rounded tunnels and made triple-thickness flat ones. How do you do it?????????
  5. dhanners

    dhanners Member

    There are a couple of different methods I use for making the systems tunnels, Jasco. I think the method I used on the Gravity Probe B Delta II was to form the paper around half-round pieces of styrene or wood. I've been able to get half-round styrene and wood in various sizes at my local hobby shop. It is important to print out the piece for the tunnel on a thinner piece of paper than cardstock. It is easier to form that way. If I'm feeling lazy, I'll just glue the paper to the styrene or wood, then glue the whole assembly to the model. (And I'll admit I feel guilty when I use styrene. Not so much with the wood, though. I figure wood is what is used to make paper, so the model is still 100-percent "organic.")

    On the systems tunnels for the Delta II rockets, I've taken to ditching the ones Erik offers and making my own. (Nothing against Erik's excellent work. I just find my process easier.) I use the "Draw" function in Word to make a big rectangle, and then "pick up" the blue color from Erik's rocket to create the fill color. I print that out, then cut it into strips wide enough to curve over the half-round styrene or wood piece.

    Next, I make another blue box and, again using "Draw," lay thin white lines (and, on the Delta II tunnels, red lines in some places) at the appropriate width. I use Erik's pieces as a reference. I print that out and cut long, thin strips that wind up looking, from top to bottom, white-blue-white. These strips are then cut into short lengths which I glue at appropriate intervals on the tunnel, again using Erik's parts as reference. This gives it a 3D feel.

    The other method I use for tunnels is to laminate several pieces of poster board to get the thickness that I want, then I cut it into thin strips that are the width of the system tunnel. (And it is easier to cut laminated poster board when the glue is still wet.) Once the glue is dry, I lay the piece on my work mat and sand the upper edges to get a round-ish shape. If the tunnel is plain white or a solid color, I can glue an appropriate piece of paper over the tunnel and shape it. If it involves more colors -- like the Delta II tunnels -- then I just design it using "Draw."

    Hope that helps....
  6. jasco

    jasco Member

    Very interesting. It didn't occur to me to use Word to make new parts. I'll have to experiment a little on "picking up" the blue from the pdf, but I guess it can be done! I work in the printing industry and had some tubes made up that are exactly the right diameter for the main rocket body, and I found that cardboard Kotex tampon tubes (!) are exactly right for the SRBs. Think I'll try another one of the DeltaIIs. I live in the Chicago rural/soon to be suburban area and there isn't a decent hobby shop for miles. The one I found had only one or two sizes of rocket tubes and neither was useful for this project. Thanks for the tips!
  7. Hans Christian

    Hans Christian Active Member

    Typical David Hanners Masterpiece :-D

    I have to get back into building again... my thesis is starting to get nutty...

Share This Page