Emergency Paint Stripping

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
yes, the all caps are truely necessary

i was working on repainting one of my models, and it became incredibly clear that i did not do a good job, which really warranted new paint

as it happened, i painted a way to thick coat of paint onto the roof of my model, betthing into to many of the radiators and vents. the platinum mist paint came off easy with regular paint thinner, but i also used acrylic based black testors paint on the roof... and nothing can seem to remove it. I do not have testor's brand paint thinner available. i've had limited success with some tamiya acrylic thinner, but i'm aware that you should really only use a certain brand.

in any case, i have the roof of the model submerged in the tamiya stuff.

it is a resin shell

Please help! I really want this one to come out nice! how do i get it smooth as possible?

thank you for your quick replys

Chris.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Chris,

Sorry to hear of your dilemma... I can't offer much advice other than try a search - this question has been asked lots of times before...

Everything from brake fluid to isopropyl alcohol to pine sol has been suggested as strippers. Which one is best may depend on what's underneath as well as what you painted it with...

Good luck!

Andrew

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
yeah i let it sock for an hour in the Tamiya thinner. it definitely weakend it, but they way i see it, i'm going to need the testors thinner. it shouldn't be a big deal after some scrubbing, whatever is left of the testors should come off. now my onely concern is scrapes (i used a screw driver to get some off, and i think i might have scraped a few places, but i think non of it is to bad, and its nothing that i can't fix with modeler's putty, fine grit wet sand paper, and 40 minutes.

i was just upset, because the shell is $75, lol. not a cheap shell ( its of a GP40FH-2, and those aren't common models)