Emergency, I WANT, Gimmie Gimmie...

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by Stev0, Aug 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zealousy

zealousy Member

Not really.....the folks around here are some of the best people to ask things from :) Ever so helpful and polite! But it would be nice if you do your own research first and resort to asking if you fail. But this thread is about the crowd who request a model to be designed specefically for that person for free when the subject doesn't have a model available. I don't think anyone here would mind pointing you to a place where you can find something already available.
  2. zealousy

zealousy Member

Well said timhinds!!!
  3. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Yes ... I was a 'newbie' as well, but I didn't ask for models within a few posts of registering. Come to think of it ... I don't think I have ever asked for a model at all if I can remember. Life IS too short, who wants to waste what little we have on people who register to only demand models.

Use the search function. If it's not working out, then and only then, resort to making a post. Consider buying a model if you cannot find a free one yourself. We sit here on this forum preaching about supporting designers and this is the best time to put the money were the mouth is.
  4. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

5. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

Me too. I've never asked for a model 'came close with your speedbuggy though LOL'. I use the search here and on the web in general. I've got my eyes peeled here 'Internet Finds' and new model releases. I sometimes will try to help find a model for someone or if I know a model exists point them to it. Depending on how they ask. If they've done some research and are genuinely interested in the subject 'not just a passing fancy' well I'll do what I can. I too can be annoyed by someone that only asks for models. I've seen it here a few times. Thankfully it's not that often.

I do a lot of modeling (FSX,CG 'blender',Paper,Model Railroading) I've even got some RC (1/10 on and off road). I even wanted to build some large scale tugs too but there isn't a really good place to run them here.

Still think about it from time to time though ;)

I used to work in a hobby store so I would see them come and go in there too. I never sold cardboard models there though. That was nealy 20 years ago now :)

Those wanting models 'Search' here and on the web. If you can't find what your looking for. Find something similar and BUILD IT (boat/plane etc). When you have made a few models built then you will know what goes into one and be better equiped to design the model you want. If you are having troubles in the building or design we're here to help in that area.
  6. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Actually ... someone did ask for Speed Buggy. It was not directed at anyone. I said to myself. Why not?

7. Red

Red Member

Perhaps the experience designers could redirect the person asking for a model, and help them find how to get user friendly software to build the model they want for themselves, with some help on the way.
    Give a man a fish meal and he will ask for another. Teach a man to fish and cook and he will feed himself.
    that said. is there a thread that will get a newbie up and designing for themselves, and maybe there could be a link at the top of the forum with a banana button approach to get the new person started.
  8. THE DC

THE DC Member

A different thought????

I must say that this thread has been enlightening. I'm very new to paper models, only recently discovering the talent and ability involved in creating them and the resulting creations sometimes appearing as, good or even better than, plastic. I'd turned my nose up before but thanks to the works or DWhale, Nothing, and Paragon, I became impressed and excited about the designs offered and the potential for creative enhancement and kit bashing of these designs. I’m still learning the potential of paper, but I’ve liked what I’ve seen.

It was the support and encouragement of some amazing designers that fueled my enthusiasm at low risk, given that the free models were offered. My enthusiasm led to a recognized limitation though; I have a crappy Windows driven machine which is a magnet form every spam in existence and would make the Pythons thrilled! I also have no experience with the software in designing. My current system is dial up, making downloading an endurance test.

Because of the generosity and advice of the previous mentioned members, and others I hate for having neglected to mention, I’ve learned to manage these resource limitations. I have been putting a little aside to buy a Mac and get the software to better surf and to learn to design my own. This is because I had the assumption that newbies learn on the talents and efforts of those before them, but they have the obligation to learn and later contribute to keep this social machine operating. I had assumed I was entering a community and I should pony up as soon as I was able to share; give back to those who'd started me out and offer to the next generation of newbies to keep the enthusiasm going.

Despite my considerable LACK of expertise, my lack of effective equipment, and computer skills, I thought it appropriate to fund a way to give back, currently by making comments, offering resources I have, and eventually designing and sharing.

This seemed an exciting low pressure opportunity, fostered by some talented mentors, a few of which I've mentioned who have been welcoming; jus what I was looking for to divert me from a high pressured & dangerous profession I currently experience.

I hope that newbies feel welcomed, stumble about with their new free kits, and eventually learn to give back. I hope the more experienced members support this awkward process so new ranges of talent and skill are drawn [excuse the pun] into an ever growing data base of downloads.

Don't know, but every once in a while, mentoring and enthusiasm may build a community where cynicism can kill it.

We all are awkward at first. We just hope someone patient and open enough to us leads us into better skill, as we invest in the community, better manners.

Just a thought....

The DC

9. THE DC

THE DC Member

10. bf109

bf109 Member

well said dc !!

this is exactly my point of view
  11. armchair

armchair New Member

I am one of the newer guys and so far I have only done free downloads. They are both good and bad. Some have little or no build info and a few are missing a piece or two. BUT, you get what you pay for and I sure won't complain. I also notice a lot of people seem to want a large model for nothing and then complain about the details. I hope to get some purchase ones in the near future. So far it is a lot of fun.

Armchair aka Glen in Yuma
  12. Lord Manimal

Lord Manimal Member

Since this topic was re-opened, I figure I'd weigh in on this dead horse for two reasons.

Firstly, I need a post count as a new member. This has to be one of the most irritating things for me, as I'm determined to not post complete tripe, but am looking for some inspiration in my own modeling.

Secondly, the "test" forum, that's for new people to learn to utilize the forum, and yet I still must have a substantial post count in order to even post up what I've been working on and contribute something to the discussion.

Initially, I believed that the desire was to "hide" your downloads, i.e. bandwidth conservation, and then I realized that I've been basically trapped here for the past 2 hours looking for something I can contribute to without needing a photo, or a link (which you also cannot do for about 15 wasteful posts). I'm sure I've sucked up a good bit of bandwidth reading over half cardstock modeling postings from 2006 onwards.

Now, before you flame me for being a whiner, or give me the proverbial "if you don't like it leave", I think it merits pointing out that attitudes like the originating poster only serve to make folks like me feel unwelcome; like I have to jump through hoops to appease the mighty forum masters. If some of us get a little short with the hoop jumping, and ask for a "gimmie" from the relationship which this forum has created, we are at fault? By relationship, I mean to say that when we arrive and decide to register, we are immediately given our marching orders to post like fanatics by you, the forum masters, and we, the servile hoop jumpers must comply.

I'm just asking you to re-think this oddball policy that is certainly not saving your bandwidth, as I reload old posts, going back years, trying to decide if I should cast a resurrection spell on a post from long ago and breach good netiquete, or to post useless comments on topics I don't care about, for the sake of seeing what other people have been up to in the hobby.

And before you completely trash me, yes, I'm an experienced paper modeler, although I've not built any life sized Link's or anything (Oh yeah, I can't post links; use your imagination here) and yes, I've got loads to contribute, especially as a major converter of other people's paper models into robo cutter files, for free, for everyone if I judge a model worth the time.
  13. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Since you're new here, I'll give some background... this forum is still under reconstruction. The previous admin dropped a nuke on the settings, and I'm busting trying to reset them to acceptable levels.

This includes learning about 10,000 settings, what they do, and how they affect individual users, threads, posts, forums....

In short; I'm working on it. There's 1 admin and 1 mod currently, so we're understaffed and facing a problem of major fixing.

That said, if I don't know about a problem, I can't fix it.

A friendly shout out for help is more likely to get a positive response than opening with complaints. I appreciate your sticking with it and becoming a regular member.

Stay tuned, and thanks. :thumb:
  14. axel

axel New Member

Newcomers to the hobby, welcome!!
    Ok, a bit of back ground: I started building models as a child, and back then we had to do with whatever model the publishers would think would be a good seller... eventually they decided (at least in my country) that people did not buy paper models and stopped making or distributing them... until the pc and printer time came, and with computers we could print our own models. I downloaded, I printed and I built... and then I got stuck on wanting a model that did not exist. So, I made it.
    We are now our own publishers, we should be also our designers... I know that 3d programs are a bit daunting to tackle at first, but also was the computer when we first got to it... and a lot of times you can go low tech, and avoid 3d modeling entirely.
    I am very glad of the resurgence of card modeling. It has generated a trend, and lots of people are being drawn for the first time to the hobby. In every community there will be rude individuals, but as a whole I think that the more papercrafters the better!
    I will not design a model for someone else (I don’t have the time and have to work , but if I win the lottery or something then I probably would), but will gladly help anyone that wants to learn to design their own.
  15. Lord Manimal

Lord Manimal Member

What country are you from Axel? I thought paper modeling was pretty much a world-wide hobby, as it's cheap, and easy to ship!
  16. axel

axel New Member

I´m from Mexico... and yes, paper modeling has always been a world wide hobby... but until the advent of internet, publishing paper models was not!
    I have to say that things have changed, but very slowly. My country´s customs office has been very difficult to work with for years, and before the internet and credit card payments online the only option for getting a foreign publication was to impose on someone that was travelling outside the country... Even two years ago If I ordered something for amazon one out of three shipments would be delayed and to release them I would have to pay in the post office a tax that was higher than the value of the books (the fact that books are supposed to be tax free in Mexico was not a valid argument). Mind you, I paid, as the 3 shipments plus tax was still a much lower price than to buy the books in mexican bookstores...( that is why I learned english, much cheaper to read!). Now it is supposed to be really tax free, but I haven't ordered since.
    I made the leap into designing paper models, and now one of my models got published on England, so I know the leap is not impossible!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.