Emergency, I WANT, Gimmie Gimmie...

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by Stev0, Aug 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Sebret, quoting 4chan is not good. That is one nasty site.

Hey Chris, you back from France, good holiday?

SEBRET Member

Trust me paulhbell, I know the crazy that is 4chan, it's my homepage after all. but the wiki is separate and just a collection of crafts, nothing to do with the site. trust me, i don't want to encourage anyone to go there unless you can handle alot of "offenses".

but the wiki is a go.
  3. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

I'd like to know how much a person pays to print a free model. That's what I am talking about.

Here in Canada, the Canadian Dollar is near par (despite the fact that we are still being gouged with the same items cheaper in the states).

I think it costs me about 80cents or 0.80USD to print one page in 4 color laser on 60lb coverstock (non-laminated). It's a reasonable weight paper that has a slightly smooth surface and takes color rather well. The laser print is such that the color holds up and is quite bright.

The reason. I don't want to empty my inkjets on color heavy models as I cannot afford a color laser printer.
  4. KCStephens

KCStephens Member

Free is free for me! :mrgreen:... I'm luckey enough to have access to a color laser printer at work.. I do however supply my own card stock.
  5. dbench

dbench New Member

Hello there everyone. I actually just stumbled across this site recently in my searches for free models online. I have paid for kits in the past and have no problem doing so, but I figure there are so many free model sites out there, why not use them? For me, part of the fun is surfing around and searching for new models, which is how I found this site. :) I would just like to say that I totally agree that it is unfair and selfish for "newbies" to come in and start asking people to design a model for them. That's essentially like asking a stranger to do something for you for free, while taking up their valuable time and effort. I go to school for game design, so I know that the 3D modeling process can be tedious, let alone unfolding it in Pepakura! I just don't have the time right now to design my own models, so I search online. Since I joined this forum, I've found lots of great information on creating models, as well as some great designs so this post is basically my way of saying hi, and thanks to the guys who have put in lots of hard work so the rest of us can enjoy the fruits of their labor.
  6. zealousy

zealousy Member

I agree with dbench. Asking for a link or some place you can find an already available free model is one thing but asking to design one for you for free is plain rude.
  7. nebeltex

nebeltex Member

this is not really rocket surgery.

hint #1 for this site..... search function. if your quest is not satisfied by the search function, politely ask. if it does not involve a pirate site, we'll point you in the right direction. phisers need only glance at my avatar to get an idea of how i handle bad guys, if they are lucky. if not, they deal with the LAW.
  8. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

Stevo, I also tried to estimate the average per-page cost of printing models on a typical inkjet. There are so many user-specific variables involved (brand of printer, type of ink used, density of graphics, etc), so I just tried to get a general figure.

For ink useage I based my estimates on my own Cannon Pixma inkjet. For ink and cardstock costs I used rough averages of prices on the internet.

The figure I came up with was roughly 80 cents per page, about 3/4 of that cost being ink.
  9. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Nowadays if I want something free, I design it myself(though I do accept help when texturing; I still hate that part). Usually the only way I find a free model is if I stumble upon it here or on the net someplace.
  10. the micromodels builder

the micromodels builder Card Model Designer

Hobbies cost money. *lol* If you really like a hobby, you got to be willing to spend some $$$ on it.
  11. For those of us on a fixed income the "Free" models avaialbale here and on the net are a blessing. Everytime I check out a pay site with every intention of buying something I get scared off by the outrageous shipping charges. Then couple that with the cost of the model and you are really up there. So I just leave disappointed.

I stick pretty much to free models and I am eternally grateful for those designers who make their art available to those of us who can't afford it. As for the cost of ink and paper, I have a Canon Pixima and I use refillable cartridges. Very cheap. So I can print all I want without breaking the bank.

I am an old timer, so I don't have the energy getting all righteous over the newbees not understanding the system. How they are selfish just wanting to take take take. They are just excited like a kid with a new toy. So much they never new about. I didn't always understand it but I learned much the way they are learning. So I feed them a model here and there as they request because I can't design. So it is my way of giving back. My way of saying thanks to the designers by getting their art out there where it can be appreciated. I assume that is what they want. Why else would they be doing it for free?

So for those of you who like to bitch just remember "You were a newbee once too". I built my first model before many of you were born. As to the old farts like myself, I dont hear them bitching much either. Must be we just mellow with age. (Kind of like a good steak. They stuck a fork in me a few years ago but I wan't quite done yet ) Life is too short my modeling brothers. In the end we are all here for the same reason. It's a great hobby and eco friendly. Welcome to the "green" land of modeling.
  12. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

I would have to say just to toss my 2 cents into this thread that..

It's not a big deal to ask if you are polite about it. Those that are new to the hobby and have little experience are going to do that anyway. Everyone has to start somewhere and free models are perhaps the best way. You can learn from doing both in how they are made and how you take that 'kit' and turn it into a model. New comers should be aware that if it is a free model that someone has worked hard to make such a model and that even though it's free it still took time and effort to design and test the model before release. I have nothing but great admiration for those that design these models. Ever since going online many a moon ago I've yet to see something that someone else has done and not stand in awe of that work. I would never have known about card modeling at all had I not been on the net.

So for other newbies out there and I'm one so I should know LOL

1 - Try to find out as much as you can about the subject you wish to model.
    a) The prototype of the object
    b) Models of the object (you can learn quite a bit from other models that have
    made of that same model you want to make (Paint schemes / Weather effects)

2 - If there isn't to much information online then ask someone related to that object
    either in prototype form or model form (groups on the subject or people you have
    scene making something similar to that which you wish to build
    a) How they built their model (if they bought it as a kit - downloaded or
    designed it themselves)
    b) Then what would it take to do the same thing as you would like to do?
    How much it cost (store purchased from?) Website they got it from?
    What software you need to design one yourself.

If your looking to build something new and don't know the in's and out's of how to design such a model there are many that will be will to 'HELP' you do that. However you should have something to through in the pot yourself. If you have done the research and found out as much as you can then there are those that are willing to help. Don't have your dog eat your homework though .. you need to do some of the leg work yourself. After that your world is a card board oyster.. Waiting to be built..
  13. papastumpy

papastumpy Member

Wise words. After reading these post I would be afraid to ask anything?????????
  14. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Using the search function can reveal quite a bit. Sometimes only the most obscure will not float to the top of the search list.

The whole point of this thread is that there are way too many who register and have first posts asking/demanding models.
  15. ml5716111

ml5716111 Guest

Then make them read the User Guide for new members, before they are allowed to post anything.

Have them sign the EndUserLicenseAgreement :)
  16. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

i agree about the giveme posts, but if someone asks for help locating something i think we should help out our brethern. folks who arent sure where to find stuff yet could be put off buy negative responses and somewhat condenscending remarks.
  17. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

We are only talking about key strokes and a bit of time.. I help whenever I can. I don't mind looking up stuff. Sometimes there request sparks my curiosity.

ml5716111: When they/we register there is a user agreement they have to accept or not accept to get registration key email. If you read it then accept they you have done correctly if not then you have accepted something you don't know about. Just like so many other license and usage documents online though most are common to each other. I know what good behavior is so I'm not worried about myself. Been online for more then half my life now.. (wow). Still everyone is informed of the rules when wanting to register so that has been taken care of.. If they break those rules then there are consequences.. That's where the moderators come in.

So I'm a live and let live kinda fellow. Helping is something I enjoy doing so if I can I do that as much as possible.

Perhaps what would come in handy is a FAQ. Not for Forum etiquette but for Modeling. Perhaps one for each section here at Zealot (put into on document though but divided up). Then if someone asks something that is redundant we could point them to the FAQ. I find that when reading such things you find out tons more then just what you were looking for. Questions that you haven't thought of yet but will in the future as you start down the modeling road. Such document can be even more informative then just answering one question but many.. Or hey maybe a Wiki?

A FAQ could be a good start though. It would be a bit under sighted to say that everyone comes to the table with the same set of skills be it for working online or making models. So a FAQ can cut through all that for a beginner.. I've often thought of consolidating the links together too one links page. As it's an international group we have here we could list the link with topics covered (type of models / Tutorials) and the language the page is in.. So you know what your headed into when you go there. Tie the Links in with the FAQ and then the forums will be free of the Gimme-Gimme thing. They will be able to find what they are looking for quickly and be able ask more probing questions and if not be on there way to where they can get what they are looking for.

Just trying to be helpful
  18. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

We have a Wiki. Link is at top right corner of every page in the blue strip. Lex is the moderator. We have been asking people to write/edit articles for some time now.

19. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

Ok didn't notice that before. Or did but didn't pay attention. In any case I clicked and got a front page full of what looks like spam.. Tons of ads it seems. Don't know how that can happen in a Wiki but that's what it looks like. How do we fix that up?
  20. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

Ok cool I was just going to do that.. I created an account and went back the main page but when I got there it had changed.. :eek: You're fast.. ;) Cool though. I was going to start working on the main page for the Zealot wiki myself. I noticed the 'edit' button on the top - went to get some OJ and then the log in thing by that time you had changed it..

Never worked on a wiki before? Been there lots though so I know it's made up by everyone. Looks like fun.. I didn't know that it was open to everyone to make changes till I went back. Thought you needed permission from page author to make changes. Like the forums or something.

Anyway looks like it could be fun..
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.