EMD Switcher ID

jon-monon

Anyone know who made this model? I don't see any markings on it indicating who made it. Or which EMD it is (i.e. SW-????)? It has the EMD logo on one of the truck side frames. Runs great, but I could use a few parts as you might tell :)

jon

Attachments

• emdapart.jpg
    emdapart.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 284

jon-monon

Maybe a 1500? She's got the opening behind the third door and the double flush headlamp with lighted number boards on each side:

emd1500.jpg

But I'm no expert on these rascals and I wonder if other ones have these features.

Hey Mr. Tingoat! How do ya like my new camera (last post)??? :D :D :D

jon

According to Railspot database, the NS #2293 is an SW1500, purchased by IT in March 1970.
So, if the model is faithful to the prototype, you are the proud owner of an +30 years old SW1500! :)

rockislandmike

If I'm not mistaken, a number of units looked very similar, with the two smokestacks. So SW1500 is definitely a possibility, but so are SW1200, NW2, and MP15 (all of which had two smokestacks).

As for being true to the prototype, I wouldn't bet on that, particularly for models built prior to 1995 or so.

jon-monon

Thanks for the input, folks! I've mulled over quite a few photo's and it seems to me that the openings on the side are unique to the SW-1500. It sure runs smoothly after clean-up of the drivers with a little goo gone.

Now the hard question is, who might have manufactured this model? That's why I show the guts in the pic, just hoping someone recognises that model. Got it on e-bay:

e-bay ad

But the ad has no real description.

jon

IMRL393

A search of various maker sites and Walthers shows that the only current SW 1500 maker seems to be Athearn, who does make an SW1500 in NS black & white (part # 3904). Atlas does not seem to have made one for at least the last 2-3 years, Kato and Stewart never have made this loco, and Walthers lists only the Athearn.

So ... either it's an Athearn or a very out of production model!

- George

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
Fooling these old eyes....

Originally posted by jon-monon Hey Mr. Tingoat! How do ya like my new camera (last post)??? :D :D :D

jon

If I'm not mistaken, it looks like you used your scanner to take the picture. :eek:

New camera or not, the image is much sharper!

The model is a nice one. NS livery is very attractive. Have fun and enjoy it.

jon-monon

Thanks for the help. That's what I thunk: Athern. I wasn't schmardt enough to go to walthers and look, I looked around at the sites of all the manufacturers I could think of. Athern looked most likely, but I was thrown by looking at the available parts, they list a "power truck" which to me means a motor on a truck, and as you can tell by the picture, it's a single frame mounted motor powering both trucks. Maybe hty're just listed as power trucks or they changed the design. If I can get some side frames, I'll make my own rails and I'll have my money's worth :)

jon

jon-monon

Yep, it's Anthern. 2 bucks at the local hobby shop got me a set of four new sideframes which snapped handsomly into place.

ty, jon

jon-monon

Re: Fooling these old eyes....

Originally posted by TinGoat

If I'm not mistaken, it looks like you used your scanner to take the picture. :eek:

New camera or not, the image is much sharper!

The model is a nice one. NS livery is very attractive. Have fun and enjoy it.

You're right, I was just teasing about it being my new camera (where the hecks the viewfinder on this new thing??? :D :D ). Anyway, another trip back to the hobby shop yielded some new railings. It looks a lot nicer with railings. I'll need to pull them off and paint them, then it should look great!

BTW: What's best for securing the small uprights to the long horizontal rail? A drop of glue or solder or ???

Attachments

• emdrailsm.jpg
    emdrailsm.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 210

Tankertoad70

I have a pair of these here puppies. Athearn released 'em in 1990, and they were state of the art. Once broken in, they run beautifully. Can't beat an Athearn for price for the quality of what ya get.:)

WP 709

I hate to be a rivet counter, but the handrails should be black with the ends in white. Great engines, those Athearn SW1500's. I got the magic Athearn when I bought my WP 1502 when they came out. It runs as good as my Kato's! It runs right along my Atlas Alco switchers in the yard and just as smooth. I think I got the golden Athearn. Some of my Athearn are turds, some are ok, but NO Athearn I have ever seen ran half that good. I guess I just got lucky! :cool:

Hey, I was looking for some SW1500s recently. Does Athern still make 'em? The local hobby shops don't carry them. The NS one pictured with the flexicoil trucks is exactly what I want (except I want it in SP paint). Anyone know where the critters can be found?

Tom F

WP 709

Those things are everywhere, especially in SP paint. Something is direly wrong if that shop doesn't carry them. Look at other area shops, e-Bay or in MR ads for mail order shops. They're definately out there.;)

msh

Tom - go to 1stplacehobbies.com - I got my CN there. Powered for $28 and Dummies for $18. Lots of roads to choose from.

Thanks guys... I went to three stores here and not a one of 'em had any. The owner was not at the shop I have been going to for about 20 years and the kid behind the counter didn't even know what a SW1500 was (Lord help me...) :rolleyes:
Phoenix, unfortunately, is a bit of a backwater when it comes to RR hobby shops. No big monsters like other large cities. I hear the one at McCormick Ranch RR park is a bit bigger, but that is 30 miles from me and I'm lazy...:D
I stopped into a big'un out in LA a few weeks ago and the help had to slap me to bring me out of my shock. I walked in the front door and froze...:p I thought I had died and gone to heaven... After they slapped me and I came to, I spent WAY too much money. Hmm, maybe living in a RR model hobby shop backwater isn't so bad after all. At least here, I still have a few bucks left for food and rent...:D

Tom F

babydot94513

Member in training
Originally posted by WP 709
Those things are everywhere, especially in SP paint. Something is direly wrong if that shop doesn't carry them. Look at other area shops, e-Bay or in MR ads for mail order shops. They're definately out there.;)

Yep, everywhere - in SP that is. Just Trains in Concord, Ca. has SW1500's as does RailRoad Hobbies in Roseville, Ca. The one I have came from DE who got it via E-Bay.

jon-monon

Originally posted by WP 709
I hate to be a rivet counter, but the handrails should be black with the ends in white.

Thanks for pointing that out. I'm not very picky 'bout such matters, but as a professional ribbet inspector, I probably should be. It will probably fall prey to the Paulsen-Knudson line and get some new paint, if they ever settle on a standard paint scheme :D :D :D I've seen these rascals as you describe
ns2293at.jpg
and some with yellow handrails
ns2290av.jpg

It's also too new for my 50's plans, so it might get kitbashed.