EMD GP15's

babydot94513

Member in training
Sep 1, 2002
Brentwood, Ca
Visit site
I am a fan of California Northern Railroad whose primary power is the GP15-1' s acquired from CNW in the old SP days.

Does anyone know of any websites that talk about GP15-1's or do any of you know what roads are also using these ex-CNW units besides CFNR?

Gotta love them baby tunnel motors!!!

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
Jeff, don't know if this helps, but MOPAC had quite a number of these puppies as well.

There might be some useful info for you at the "Screaming Eagles" website. Don't have the link here at home, but if you search google for "missouri pacific screaming eagles" you'll find it pretty quick.

The book I'm reading also has a fair writeup on the units in general, "Missouri Pacific Freight Equipment" is the name of it I think. I'll doublecheck tomorrow and edit this response if it isn't (and include the author).

tomfassett

Oct 15, 2002
Chandler, AZ
www.trainweb.org
I know the UP still has a lot of them as they got the MP and CNW units. I don't have a lot of UP pics posted yet (I've been REALLY busy) but there are a dozen or so on my site here:
http://www.trainweb.org/tomfassett/pics/up/up_0-1999.html

I have also seen one on the NS and a bunch on the CSX. I presume these are the former Conrail units as I don't believe either RR ever purchased any new (don't hold me to that...);)

They are pretty common in the Los Angeles area, particularly at the East LA yard. Some can also be seen regularly at Dolores Yard in Carson. They are not as common at Colton, but still show up regularly. And even though I haven't been back for a year, they were also all over the place in Salt Lake City, particularly at North Yard and the (now gone, I believe) City Yard by the old DRGW depot. I don't recall ever seeing any at Roper Yard. I have seen them at Pine Bluff and North Little Rock, but I don't get there often as I live in Arizona...

Tom F

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
The Chessie (c&o) had those units as well. I have 3 of the Walters and find them to be smooth runners.I really like the looks of the GP15. Indeed they do look like baby tunnel motors.

tomfassett

Oct 15, 2002
Chandler, AZ
www.trainweb.org
Chessie had GP15s? Got any pictures? Man, I'd like to see some. Now I have an excuse to buy a couple more in Chessie paint...:p
A lot of my mother's family worked for the Chessie so even though I model the contemporary Southwest, every once in a while a wormhole opens up and a classic Chessie diesel consist appears, then fades into the mist, never to be seen again...;)

Tom F

babydot94513

Member in training
Sep 1, 2002
Brentwood, Ca
Visit site
Does anyone know if Athearn, Atlas or Proto are planning any future production runs of GP15-1's in CFNR colors?

To get one in CFNR, I had to buy a CNW unit and then beg a friend who does super-detailing (of which I know nothing about) to paint and detail it for me.

I want another one but I will not ask someone to do that much work for me again and hope like heck that some manufacturer will step up to the plate and do a special run.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
babydot94513,
Walthers "trainline" # 931-350, is an undec GP15-1 with the internal air filters. This is what the C&NW had in the 44XX series of road numbers. I believe these are 5XX series UP now. Most of the other GP15's did not have the internal filters, so didn't have all the louvers behind the cab.
Pete