EMD GP-15 in Waukegan, IL

Discussion in 'The Real Thing- North America' started by KirkV, Feb 3, 2006.

1. KirkV

KirkV New Member

Thirsty switcher gets a drink.

Attached Files:

2. brakie

brakie Active Member

OK..Wheres the pix? :D
  3. KirkV

KirkV New Member

Sorry. It's up now.
  4. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

Great Picture. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  5. babydot94513

babydot94513 Member in training

Interesting to note the reflective chevrons on the point. I do not recall having seen these before on UP power.

6. brakie

brakie Active Member

Nice pictures! Thanks for sharing. :D
  7. railohio

railohio Active Member

How much traffic is on that line in daylight hours? I know Metra keeps them mostly curtailed during the week. Last I knew they only routed coal trains to on-line power plans and locals that way. Are there any through freights moving on that route? I'll be up that way at the end of March and I'd love to get some shots on it; it's one of the few lines in the area I don't have shots of.
  8. KirkV

KirkV New Member

I've been down there several times in the last couple months, usually mid-morning, maybe a total of 2 hours. Each time there was some sort of switching happening. I haven't noticed any through freights. I was also lucky enough to photograph the old SW7 that the power plant uses to herd the coal cars. It disappeared before I could get the long lens on the camera, so the photo is technically wanting, but it was cool to see the old girl still working. It must be at least 50 years old.
  9. railohio

railohio Active Member

Where specifically do the coal trains on that line go? Is there just one generating station south of Milwaukee on the line? I know there are some north of Milwaukee, but I'd assume those trains would stay on the Milwaukee Subdivsion the whole way north. Is all the freight activity concentrated north of Lake Bluff or is there local service south of the junction there as well? Thanks for all the help, I'm really exicited to find someone knowledgeable in the area!
  10. KirkV

KirkV New Member

What I do know is that there is a coal-fired powerplant just a half-mile or so northeast of the yards. I have attached an overhead picture of the plant.

The rest of the traffic info is unknown to me. I am a recently born-again railfan, and have just started to figure things out.

If you have a broadband connection and a fairly good video card, I can strongly recommend downloading Google Earth. It has aerial and satellite imagery from all over the world, and it is free! You can get a good idea of how the yards you visit are laid out before you visit. As an aside, to the southeast of the Waukegan Metra station is an old unused turntable that used to lead to a roundhouse that has since been torn down.

May you always have good traction.

Attached Files:

11. railohio

railohio Active Member

And it also doesn't work with OS X 10.3, either.

I think it's safe to say then you probably can't help with the rest of my questions, then. Thanks for the photos, though! Those are really cool.
  12. b28_82

b28_82 Member

if you have that and can't get good imagery on it try www.local.live.com which is Microsoft's version. You can even get "Birds Eye" in some places which is aerial photos from N,S,E, & W views. Unfortunately its only in certain places and not necessarily big cities. I first noticed it in BFE, PA its also in Corpus Christi, TX and Washington DC/Arlington, VA I could see my sisters house with ease.