Electronic Distribution

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by Atomsk, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Atomsk

Atomsk Member

I've recently moved from free downloads to buying comercial kits. I've already gotten some beauties, like JSC's SS United States, and Edmund Fitzgerald. In fact, they're so nice that I don't want to start building them for fear I might make a mistake.

With downloaded kits, if I muck something up, all I have to do is re-print that page and try again.

If I could get a few commercial kits, that I could print out myself, I could at least get some building experience with these more complex designs, before moving on to my not-so-easily-replacable material.

Which comercial kit publishers offer their products in electronic format, either downloadable or on CD?

(And yes, I already knoow about ModelArt and DN.)
  2. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Wilhelmshaven do several, I have their Fokker Dr 1 and HMS Orkney and I also just received one of the beautifully coloured Dr1 kits from www.paperwarbirds.de . www.paperlab.com do some beautiful little 1:250 small ships ( Darius designed the Orkney mentioned above, too.) Gremir and Wings of Horus, as well as NOBI, all on this site, do ranges of downloadable purchased kits, Barry is doing a build of the Gremir HMS Savage on one of the threads here.

These are just ones on my desk right now; there are loads more. No slight implied by missing others off this list!

Tim P
  3. Darwin

Darwin Member

So far, only airplanes are available as electronic downloads, but Spishop (see our commercial links) has a nice selection. Another site, which I haven't seen mentioned much anymore, is www.paperparadise.com. Only airplanes as electronic downloads....Merek's older designs, mainly in :72 scale, but they scale upward quite nicely. I consider them a nice stepping stone beween the simplicity of Fiddlers Green and the complexity of GPM, Arsenal, et. al.
  4. Huey

Huey Member

www.pmodel.net is a good site to purchase some real "complex" airplanes. though its in Japanese, the models are very good if not outright challenging. you can purchase the models via C-Check which has been discussed somehwere in this forum. be careful though when you get a "database error could not access.." after you purchased a C-Check. wait for a couple of hours and check your email often for the confirmation. I got charged for their error three (3) times (the same number of times I tried and got the error) but I also received the credits for it. No amount of emails to recitfy their error will be answered by customer support. So you end up with more than what you need (you still have to pay for it as it will be charged in your credit card). Pmodels on the other hand, despite their limitation in English, have a very good customer service. (If only they can come out with models more often)
  5. DeWayne

DeWayne Member

If you take a look at my site (shameless plug inserted here), [http://www.teuton.org/dbarnett] you can find model aircraft, a few vehicles, some rolling stock in HO and an Italian Castle.
  6. Horus

Horus Member

http://www.paperwarbirds.com, the original Paperwarbirds have a whole range of kits for download.
    We are currently setting up a new system so that customers won't have to bother with zip passwords anymore.
    We are also compiling a number of CD's at the $20 price point containing model compilations.
  7. Ron

Ron Member

DeWayne, I haven't seen any new stuff from Marek in 1:33 on your site for some time. Will you be continuing that series? I miss those monthly new kits, especially the Great War stuff.

All the best

8. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Have you considered scanning your purchased models and printing them yourself? Once I caught on to that, a whole new world opened up.

You virtually get to "redesign" your own model, since:

1) You are free to scale the model (I scale all my models to 1/25, but that's me), so you can buy virtually any scale.

2) You get to place parts the way you want them (on different kinds and colours of paper), and you get the luxury of adding extra copies of difficult parts rights from the start (plus you can alway just print another sheet if you bungle it).

3) You could even recolour, or at least touch up, parts you would like to see in another colour or shade or marking.

OK, so it takes a little bit more time - but I consider the scaling and rearranging process just as satisfying as the building. You plan and hope for something to turn out really nice; kind of taking the creative process one step further backwards towards original design (which I wold not attempt personally; but I do like rearranging things).

Have a look at the article on "Scaling" on this site, and see if it might inspire you too!

Best, Leif
  9. Gil

Gil Active Member

Discover the wonderful world of full color scanning or why the bought kit never gets cut..., it will open up a whole new attitude to card modeling, guiltless messups on the way to perfection. Combined with Leif's suggestions you should have the best of all Worlds for a card modeler.

Best regards, Gil
  10. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Hi There,

Ahh yess...have u ever hear THAIPAPERWORK somewhere? if u not know THAIPAPERWORK maybe great if u visit at http://thaipaperwork.com

(sound like an advertisement thread but it's ok hehe)