Electro-uncoupling magnets

espee

Dec 16, 2005
Does anyone know of any under the track electro-uncoupling magnets that are available or can be made? I have tried to modify a Kadee Electric with heavy steel washers but without great luck.

I would prefer to have nothing visible. Any help is appreciated.

espee

Dec 16, 2005
Electro-magnets

I'll try your suggestions.

Since I posted I have had some luck modifying a Kadee electric. I added 4 heavy metal washers on each side and energized with 24 volts AC. It only works with HO scale size couplers but it works flawlessly....actually much better than than the original and it's totally hidden under the track. I think this is the ticket. I plan to convert totally to scale size couplers anyway.

CalFlash

Oct 31, 2004
central Florida
There was an article on building them around a piece of steel keystock and steel plates. They worked pretty good and you could leave them on for awhile (unlike Kadees) so you didn't have to push a button at an exact moment. Model Railroader, September 1976 page 80 Electromechanical ramp for Kadee uncouplers MAY be the article but I can't guarentee it. Model Railroader, December 1996 page 56 had a review on Cuda Technologies electromagnet uncoupler which followed this design. They even had circuitry available to shut them off with a variable delay. Unfortunately, I don't think they're still available. I only have one
cry.gif
and wish I had more
tongue.gif