Electrical problems

507wayne

Greetings
I just picked up a Mantua 0-4-0 Switcher on ebay . I thoroughly cleaned the wheels, but when I run it , it goes real good backwards but slow and erratic forwards, regardless of which way I put it on the track. I hope there is a genius out there that can help me with this problem.
Thanks
WJR

0-4-0

There is definitely someone out there that knows more about this, but iffen I recomember correctly, it is driven by a worm gear. Many Mantuas had it on a slant and a screw held it in place from the bottom. An adjustment by loosening or tightening that screw can make a world of difference. That could make it run good one way, but bind up the other.. It may just need a TOUCH of grease on that gear, too.

Of course on the other hand, I may not know what I'm talking about either.

Lynn

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
As lynn suggests, it could be that the motor mount is not secure, and the motor shifts when switching from forward to reverse. This could cause the gears to mesh correctly one way, but not the other.

A look inside seems to be in order. Take your time, and take notes/pictures if you have not done this before!

Andrew

507wayne

Thank you gentlemen . The grease and the screw adjustments have made it the little engine that can.
WJR:thumb:

runs

Fantastic!! It took me a week or so of tinkering and tweaking to learn that. Glad I could finally pass it on.

Lynn