Electric sub-station

Mike R

Jan 18, 2002
Meaford Ontario Canada
Visit site
Last time I bought a commercial mesh fencing was about 8 or 10 years ago. It's Scale Scenics[ div. of Circuitron] Brass Micro Mesh
#652-3501...if still available.
Expensive though, it was around 6 bucks Canadian back then for 2 strips about 2" by 6".
Made a very realistic fence in H0...probably 'fine enough' for N as well. I tinned it, and soldered it to pre-tinned 1/16 brass tube for posts.
Trick is very much the 'thinnest' paint job possible...and use a flat gray...I brush painted it, and used a hair dryer to keep the openings open..;)
regards / Mike
The tips, modeling, and pictures on this thread are very good.:cool:

swissjohn

Jan 3, 2003
Cheshire, England
myweb.tiscali.co.uk
It's amazing how many versions of nearly the same kit are available :confused:
In this thread we have seen versions from Con Cor and Model Power. In this photo from my old layout is another almost identical substation from the German PIKO company. I wonder who made the original kit ????;)
ae88vans.jpg

John.

Sir_Prize

Mar 4, 2001
Port Charlotte,Florida
Visit site
JUst read a short article on just this subject.
It is/was in the July/August '98 issue of
Nscale. Some nice pictures.

If want I think I can scan & e-mail over to
you. I don't know if you can get a back
issue of it; not costing more than the
model.:rolleyes: ;)

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Originally posted by Sir_Prize If want I think I can scan & e-mail over to you. I don't know if you can get a back issue of it; not costing more than the
model.:rolleyes: ;)
Thanks, let me check with Verne Niner first and see if he has a back issue. We're suppose to get together in another week or two. Otherwise I'll give an email address to send them to.

John,

Yeah, you wonder if there is one mold and they pass it around:D I have seen many different configurations of prototype sub-stations some as simple as a bank of single phase breakers, others with larger breakers and transformers.

Philip,

If you feel the sizzle, or your hair stands on end, then you know what it's like to be in a sub-station. It's been a few years, but I can remember there was so much static electricity that you couldn't touch anything without getting zapped. Hmm, I wonder, could we? Nah, too dangerous.:eek:

D:cool: N

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
On the molds, it was common for firms to transport tooling from country to country rather than kits. (Airfix used to do this.) Probably the duty or shipping was lower on the tooling than on a run of boxed kits; there may also have been tax incentives.
And a lot of model kit tools have a a history of being passed around as companies went in and out of business.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Originally posted by 60103
On the molds, it was common for firms to transport tooling from country to country rather than kits. (Airfix used to do this.) Probably the duty or shipping was lower on the tooling than on a run of boxed kits; there may also have been tax incentives.
And a lot of model kit tools have a a history of being passed around as companies went in and out of business.
Good points, tooling isn't cheap, costing tens of thousands, making parts from tooling cost just pennies. Just a guess, but I bet you can find some of the same parts on different kits. Like the roof of a passenger station might also wind up in a different color on a post office.

Don