Electric motor help

Discussion in 'RC Offroad Forum' started by jlmoreno911, Feb 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlmoreno911

jlmoreno911 Member

How do you know how many turns an electric motor is?
  2. jlmoreno911

jlmoreno911 Member

ANY ONE...
  3. mastmec

mastmec Member

What do you have? The best way is to look it up and find out what it is. It's a guess just by looking at the arm. you can tell if it's a single, double ect. though. But to tell by the arm you would have to take it apart and count the winds.
  4. timrock

timrock Active Member

well,when you buy a motor,they specify what the turns and windings are.
  5. timrock

timrock Active Member

they usualy scratch it somewhere on the can if it is a mod motor.if it is just a non rebuildible stock motor then it would be a 27 turn single.Traxxas just started making 20turn stock motors but they all have a lable that says`20turn Stinger`.
  6. mastmec

mastmec Member

Who scratches it on the can. And there mod. motors that are not rebuildable with fixed timing. so that could look like a stock if theres no lable.
  7. timrock

timrock Active Member

Orinon,Associated,Trinity,Maxtec...you name it.
  8. mastmec

mastmec Member

I have never noticed it before. Where at on the can?
  9. timrock

timrock Active Member

ive found them at different areas all over the cans.only scrathed in once and somtimes they are scratched in before the lable goes on and could be under the lable.
  10. jlmoreno911

jlmoreno911 Member

Its an old motor I got with an RC10T, the motor has no label and that is why Im asking...
  11. jlmoreno911

jlmoreno911 Member

Also...How do you know what the pinion gear is? Do you count the number of teeth it has?

What is the cheapest way to get longer run times? I'm currently getting about 4-6 minutes on a 1700mah 6cell battery charged at 4amps with an old peak charger...

Thanks for the help!
  12. mastmec

mastmec Member

Look on the endbell and see if there is a name on it, look on the end of the can and see if anything is stamped there. What color is the can and endbell?
    The pinion gear should be stamped or count the teeth.
    If your getting 4-6 min. w/1700 thats ok. If you want more, get a larger capacity battery ie. 2000 or 2400.
  13. timrock

timrock Active Member

if the motor came with the kit then it is probably a stock 27 turn single but i think you would get alittle more runtime with a stock motor and a 1700 pack than you get.can you remove the brushes or not?

also i should have mentioned before that on hand wound motors they sratch the # s on the can but they usualy dont with cheap machined wound motors.
  14. jlmoreno911

jlmoreno911 Member

I bought the RC10T from a guy at a local race track several years ago and now the track is closed. He used to race is so I dont think it is a stock 27, unless he would race it in a stock division.

But I'll have to check for any marks and also try to get a pic.

Thanks.
  15. jlmoreno911

jlmoreno911 Member

What else can I do to extend my run time?
  16. mastmec

mastmec Member

Make sure all the bearings are smooth and nothing is binding. Make sure your geared correctly. A lower gear ratio will give you longer run times.
  17. timrock

timrock Active Member

you can actually double run time by hooking up two battery packs parallel.but then you would have the extra weight.
  18. quinnjere

quinnjere Member

or just buy better packs
  19. jlmoreno911

jlmoreno911 Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.