Electric Loggers!

jon-monon

I was looking for small diesels in logging and found a boxcab was used by Red River. They also used electrics:

R-203-1.jpg

interurban

Electric works

Hi Jon , I bet the traction ratio to load wieght was better with the box cars;) ooooppps sorry Shamus;)

Are ya gonna build one Jon:rolleyes:

jon-monon

Chris, that side of the family, up in the hills, they ain't so swift, and I'm 'fraid they won't understand electricity. I'm stickin' with diesel and steam for loggin' and we'll let the schmardt ones down in the city, "The Knob," have a try at electric one day.

jon-monon

Not only are there electric loco's up in them hills, here's an electric donkey!

Attachments

• electdonkey.jpg
    electdonkey.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 157

jon-monon

Glad you like it and I'm lookin' forward to seeing it! Fully operational? I know where you can get a motor and pullies!

lassenlogger

Re: Electric Logging

For Those interested:

Well in exploring this form, I discovered this thread and thought I might expand on it just a little:

Jon introduced the photo of Red River Lumber Co's electrics hauling logs. Here is a link to a piece that appeared in the Timberman on the Red River's electric train set.

The West's First Electric Logging Railroad

Also, Jon mentions the diesel that the Red River had, enclosed is a photo of one of the two diesel locomotives owned by the company. The other diesel locomotive was home-built.

p502-01.jpg

There was also an interesting article which recently appeared in the Spring (No 71) 2003 issue of "Tall Timber Short Lines," by Ken Schmelzer titled "Electric Logging In The Woods." A must read for any logging serious logging buff.

Lassen Logger