Electric Loco

CN1

Some picture I ran across today. Looks like the "old days" were the "best days". If only I had a time machine......I would be RICH:D :D :D :D :D :D :D ;)

prr6.jpg

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
CN1
Awesome pictures of the pennsylvania and penn central electric's. I saw them and i was just amazed by them. Again Awesome pictures.

interurban

Drooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool:D

quote Tom PM
Great photos. I wish a few of these were available in HO.

Now you know why we juice jacks have to scratch build:D

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
Ralph,
It is a E40 (New Haven EP-5). Penn Central rostered eight former New Haven EP-5 passenger locomotives. Known by crews as "Jets," these locomotives were built in 1955 for the NH, wore the "McGinnis" paint scheme, and were numbered in the 370-series. After the PC merger the eight surviving units were reclassed as E40s, numbered 4970-4977, and were painted PC black. They were originally slated for passenger service, but they proved to be unreliable, so they were put into freight service. Six E40s survived to Conrail, but were retired by the end of 1977.

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
Ralph, Here is some information on the FF-2 if you need to know about them. Just thought i would let you know about them too.

The Pennsy bought seven (7) giant Class Y1 2-C+C-2 electric boxcabs (plus a Y-1a) from GN's Cascade Mountain service for only $220,000, reclassifying them as FF2 and using them for drag-speed pusher service (they had friction bearings and the Y-1a was a hangar queen for spares). These were reputedly the only Pennsy electrics with both pans up at the same time. The seventh one was used for parts to fix the other FF-2's if they ever need parts replaced.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
LS,

Thanks for the info! Interesting stuff and much appreciated! The E40 fascinates me although is sure pales in comparison to the venerable GG1. :)
Ralph

geep15

OK, you went & did it- showed a pic of my favorite electric motor- a GG1! Why, we even have a GG1 in Texas (at the Age of Steam Museum in Dallas- painted in Pennsy Brunswick green, no less).:thumb:

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
The GG-1 is one of the best electic's the Pennsylvania Railroad has ever had. It surely did it's job and it is a shame that it got retired. I would do anything to see one run again on the old PRR.

This is a postcard from my collection showing the erection floor at the Westinghouse plant in PA. The large box cabs were of the type used by roads such as The Milwaukee and Northern Pacific.

Attachments

• westinghouse main works.jpg
    westinghouse main works.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 44
And what line-up could be better than this? Another postcard from my collection. This was taken, by the way, at Sunnyside Yards in Long Island City.

Attachments

• gg1s.jpg
    gg1s.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 34