EL local

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Wow, Gary!
This is great getting to see all this!
The structures & bridges look fantastic!
Looking forward to seeing much more!
The boxcar looks great, & in truth is quite realistic...I remember that by the time ConRail came on the scene, a lot of the ailing Penn Central's equipment actually looked that bad! Great model!

p.s. I know what you mean about showing pictures on here...ever since I got my camera, & started posting pics, I've felt like there's been a fire under my rear end to keep me going! I don't think I've evr been as diligent at building a layout as I have been for the last 7 months.
So I'm doing my part here to prod you along! :D

Keep 'em comin' Gary! :)

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
All right now, photo has been reduced to 89k, should work now. This is a bridge over the Passaic river in Garfield NJ, on the Erie's Dundee branch. Track runs down the street for about 4 blocks from the mainline, crosses river on this wood trestle right next to the concrete road bridge which I was standing when I took this photo. I have other shots I could ask to have scanned if anyone would like to see them. This bridge will be about 1.5 feet in front of the deck girder in the fisrt photo of this thread. BTW, beyond the deck girder bridge in that photo you can see where there will be a small dam. Let's see if this works now.

Attachments

• trainpic2.jpg
    trainpic2.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 66

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
I have a question...
There's Gary "H" Pfeil, who has 34 posts, & then there's just plain Gary Pfeil, who has 246 posts...
Are you two working together on this layout?:D :D :D

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
I wanted to make it harder for those betting in the pool for who gets to 1000 posts next. Actually, I rarely post from home (will more now due to posting photos) and when I tried the first time from home I "joined" again because I couldn't figure out how to post with my membership here at work. I have unintentionally inflated the membership ranks!

Gary

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hmmmm,
You haven't by any chance studied Kentucky politics have you? :D :rolleyes: :D
We've been known to have dead people, mule teams, & well-trained bird dogs vote in state elections (it's my opinion, we've actually elected a few of those from time to time...), so suffice it to say that someone who votes twice...hey, where I come from, that's nothin' ! :D

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Charlie,
In Chicago, the saying is "vote early, vote often".

Gary,
Judging from the height of the dirt in the trestle bents, the Passaic must run high ocasionally. The dirt, and the dead branch are interesting details that would make the model scene come alive.
Pete

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Pete, I have other pictures of the bridge after torrential rains where the water is brown with the stirred up sediment. The entire length of the bridge has branches up against it. I want to model the river in this manner, I added the 1" high "waterfall" (I plan to use a piece of 1" quarterround there) to allow the river to exhibit more sediment in its lower reaches than deeper into the scene, where I want to use the more common coloring. An as yet undetermined industy will be riverside there, something to suit the area, such as a silk mill like the ones in Paterson, which used power from the river. What I think will make the scene interesting is its depth, three railroad bridges, one road bridge and some riverfront industries in about 6 feet. And the scene extends unbroken by backdrop another 8 feet. When I get a better camera, I should be able to take shots from the next aisle over, to place the bridges in about the middle of a 20' deep scene. About the trestle: I would have thought a real bridge of this type would have kept its bents out of the water, on piers of some type. It seems odd that the wood goes directly to bedrock.

Gary