Edwards Machine Shop

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
This old building was once a water powered grist mill before Johnathan"Catt"Edwards invested in it to make it a machine shop. Now it is a thriving business with its main customer being the MAT truck factory in Michigan. The M.A.T. carries the production efforts to the interchange at the Sarnia/Port Huron border where the GVR takes over and carries the goods to the MAT truck plant. This is a very efficient "JIT" delivery system based on NAFTA and requires very good understanding between the two railroads. Only one thing may stop this excellent method and that is those lobbyists in Washington who have nothing better to do than persuade a few congressmen to put a heafty tariff on thes goods moving between Canada and the United States. If such a tariff is allowed by the US government it could mean the closing of the MAT truck plant throwing hundreds of hard working people into the unemployment lines. Please tell your congressman to not support such a tariff.
This is an N-gauge scratchbuilt effort based on an ad for a FSM HO kit in MR. The kit is listed at $175 but mine cost less than 25cents.

eba00157592f00000034.jpg

The second picture shows a CP freight car at the loading dock.
eba00157592f00000035.jpg

Next is the one end of the structure showing the sign.
eba00157592f00000036.jpg

This is the "street" side of the building.
eba00157592f00000037.jpg

The last view is from the other end.
eba00157592f00000038.jpg

The building has a footprint of 6inches by 5inches and is 6.5 inches tall. Yes it is made out of cardboard. One whole cereal box and some pieces of a cardboard carton. I made it while watching winter olympics.

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
That really is good Robin, no, it's better than that... It's unique!

Now that is modelling at its best.... using whatever is to hand and making something no one else has. You've created a building with real character. I like it!!

btw .... I made offers a few congressmen couldn't refuse to kill the tariff thingie so that machine shop has a good life to look forward to..:)

Errol

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
Wow, Robin! That is FANTASTIC! I love the detailing!

How exactly did you build it? I mean, is it made of strips of cardboard, or are the walls solid sheets? It really looks like board and batten siding. And how exactly did you paint it? It looks so real!

-Rory

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Rory, the siding is strips of paper glued to the cardboard. Tedious stuff. I painted it with two slightly different beige acrylic paint. The kind in those little bottles sold at craft stores. I didn't mix them thoroughly so as I painted it came out looking somewhat weathered. The roof was painted in english ivy green then overcoated with a thinned coat of beige