Edmonton and Calgary.

Sir_Tainly

Jan 15, 2003
Cambridge, England
Visit site
Hi All, :)

I'm going to be in Calgary and Edmonton for a few days in January next year, basically splitting a week's vacation between the two. What is there to see and do train related that is open in Jan. I realise the rail museum will be closed, :( but since the trip is to see what both cities are like before applying for permanent resident status, I'm sure I'll get a chance to revisit that when it's open. Also are there any model train stores that cater for N Gauge? Would be rather nice to take home some trains! :)

Lastly any Gaugers in those areas who'd like to meet up for a beer, that'd be pretty cool too :)

Regards

Simon

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Both cities have light rail lines (tramways) and they have 2 different styles. Calgary has Heritage Park -- pioneer village place with trains, also 2 storey outhouse.
Edmonton has rail service connection to outside world; Calgary gets land cruise trains.
Special note: Calgary denotes streets by the quadrant of the city they're in e.g. NE, SW, not by direction.

Sir_Tainly

Jan 15, 2003
Cambridge, England
Visit site
Thanks for that David, since I won't have a car for the week, I'm sure I will be using the light rail a fair bit.

By land cruise trains, do you mean the Rocky Mountaineer etc ? I'd love to get some photo's of that as I'd like to model it in N some day.

Simon

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Headed West, Eh?

Well, as usual, there is an open invitation to all and any Gauge members to drop into my place, about 30 minutes west of Edmonton. I'll see to it that the layout is presentable for a tour... :thumb:

PM me, if you're interested...

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
No exclusive N-gauge stores here in Edmonton. No particular places to visit either (although one of the old train stations has been converted into a bar that's pretty fun). The CN mainline cuts through the city just above Yellowhead Trail, always tons of trains to see if you're interested in that.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I see the weather for Edmonton this week includes snow. :cry:
I think the land cruise trains have packed up and gone south for the season.
The Canadian goes through Edmonton; it runs 3 days a week in each direction, but I think both trains go through on one day (one in the morning, one in the evening).

Sir_Tainly

Jan 15, 2003
Cambridge, England
Visit site
rockislandmike: Thanks for that, I'd love to go and get some photo's of real trains but I guess that'll depend on the weather. Don't fancy standing around waiting for a train if it's -51C as I'm told it was last Jan :)

60103: I'll have to see if it's going through and have my camera handy.

Tileguy: Which amazes me, in the UK where we have no space, O is popular, and in Canada where space is a given, N is more popular. :) Maybe it's just the idea that you can really go to town on a project, and don't have to apply compression nearly as much ?