editing pdfs

Discussion in 'Tips & FAQs' started by sin4peace, Apr 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sin4peace

sin4peace New Member

Is there a way to delete or rearrange a pdf's contents? I'm asking because i want to reduce the paper that I'm using for a model and to make the pdf printable on letter size paper because it is suppose to print with a4 sized paper.
  2. Texman

Texman Guest

Well, there are a couple of different ways to go. 1) My favorite, using Adobe photoshop or elements to print at a percentage of the original size. For your purpose, just hitting size to fit does the trick.

2) The easiest - when you go to print your .pdf, your printer may have some type of preference, or there may be one in Adobe reader, that lets you print to size (scaling option) so you can "fit to page"

Hope this maybe helps

3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Hmmm I think what they really want to do is rearrange the parts at original size so as to not mess up the scale...

This could make a very good tutorial for changing between paper sizes... :)
  4. doctormax

doctormax Member

not sure if gimp opens up PDF files but i do know how to do photoshop. what you do with photoshop is open up the photoshop then find your PDF file can tehn open the different pages. what to do is then use the same DPI when setting up a A4 size, and drag over the PDF file. with some this will take a few different layers but you can then save the different layers as gifs and print out. IS that what you want to know. if gimp can do that it be perfect but have to ask someone who uses gimp really if it can be done in the same manner.
  5. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Another thing you can do if the pdf allows it is to use the Graphics Select Tool in the Acrobat pdf viewer to draw a box around the parts. You then copy the parts, open your graphics editing program and paste the parts into a new page that is the size of your paper, making sure the resolutions are the same. You can then move the parts around to make sure they fit on your size paper without any cropping.

Also, the Graphics Select Tool will allow you to print only the Selected Graphic. Sometimes, if you have center on the page checked, the parts will be centered on the page and will print without cropping. It does not work all of the time, though.

6. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Followup to SCEtoAux.
    If you use the snapshot tool from the adobe reader tools menu, you can copy and past a selected area (or even select each part) into most graphics programs. Simplest is either windows powerpoint or word using the drawing tools and picture formatting menus. Once pasted onto a new page, you can select the picture and use the windows format picture menus to resize to any reasonable percentage of the original (just make sure you lock the aspect ratio on the size page). If you display at 100% on your screen, you can even get fairly good measurements of the parts to determine the original's scale. To change scales just resize by the ratio of the old scale to the new scale. i.e. 1:24 rescaled to 1:48 is 24/48 = .5 or 50%; 1:144 to 1:96 is 144/96 or 150%; etc.
  7. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

Not to throw a wrench into things but if the PDF is locked by the designer doesn't this block any effort to rearrange the contents?
  8. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

If the pdf is password protected, you can still use the snapshot tool. Don't know about locked files. You're not editing/changing the pdf; you're exporting images then resizing them ...

Great questions, best I can think of is to give it a try??

Rereading the orginal question - Adobe has a print option "fit to printable area" that will take care of fitting A4 to letter sized paper. Most printers also offer an option to print at a reduced percentage. Or, just go with two pages per sheet and have your tweezers handy for the little bitty bits.
  9. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

10. CK Styles

CK Styles Senior Member

11. Claus

Claus New Member

GIMP can open PDFs. But inkscape is even better. If the pdf contains vector graphics, it can even edit those.

12. vipers7

vipers7 Member

I use teh free PDFXCHANGE VIEWER. With that you can also determine resolution for the JPG you want to export to. With protected files however it also blocks the jpeg export

13. Tirick

Tirick Member

I've exported to TIFF from PDFExchange Viewer just fine, even from a protected file. GIMP will open a pdf, but not a password protected one. Workflow for me was PDFExchange Viewer-->TIFF-->GIMP. Scaling/cutting is great from there.
  14. Kurt

Kurt New Member

Open office works great for opening and editing PDF's I use it quite a bit. it will open and even allow you to save a copy of a locked PDF so you can edit change it however you want. it is an extra add on to the original install of Open office but the add on is on the same site.
  15. stephenjrider

stephenjrider New Member

You can edit pdfs with Photoshop or Illustrator.
  16. luvecraft

luvecraft New Member

Pdf can be edited in photoshop and Illustrator but the extend of editiing depend on the native software that was used to create the pdf . But if the PDF in question is password protected than it cannot be open by photoshop or illustrator. This is assuming that the PDF is created using Adobe Acrobat. If you need further help PM me yo:)
  17. rmay4

rmay4 New Member

Editing PDF

There are PDF files where the data is locked and can not be edited. There are files that are password protected and can not be opened even to view. As long as you can open (i.e. view the file) many of the graphic editors listed above can be used.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.