Edging/Facia

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
I am looking to build about a 6 to 8" edge around 3 sides of my layout and I am open to suggestions about what material will best suit my needs. I don't have a lot of tools, so can't get too fancy. :eek:

Bob

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
I'm wondering that if I use masonite I might be able to get the local lumber company to strip a sheet around the edges that would give me about 2 eight foot sections and 2 three foot sections if I had it cut to create a 6" high piece. I could get all I need out of two sheets that way. Great idea. Thanks very much.

Bob

kadidle

Nov 10, 2005
Vaughn MT
www.rail-exchange.com
I'm planning on using melamine (paneling for showers, also used to make white boards). You can use a utility knife or jigsaw on it, fairly ridgid stuff. The obvious advantage is that you can use a dry erase marker on it for notes, and then wipe it off.

Victorsmalls

Oct 8, 2005
I use 1/4" Birch attaced to my 2x4 frame. The over all measurement of the birch is 1/4"x6"x4'.

I also create my control board from Birch

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
If you're using Masonite, you can rip a 4'x8' sheet into eight 6"x8' strips: that'll give you 128' of edging from two sheets. If you've got something solid to attach it to, use drywall screws, after first countersinking for the screwheads.
I use it for all of my layout facia, plus to close in the storage area under the layout. 1/8" is heavy enough and the "tempered" version is not necessary for this application.

Wayne

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Masonite is an old standby, cheap, ridgid and fairly easy to cut. Lauan plywood is also an easy product to work with. You can buy it at any home center in 1/8" 4' x 8' sheets, or smaller "door skins" for just a bit more per square foot than masonite. I like it because it takes paint a lot better than masonite, and it doesn't have the rough backing that masonite does.

I had my layout wraped in masonite, and found that I put it on way too soon.:rolleyes: Kept taking it off little by little as it got in the way. Now there is none left.:eek: I will use lauan as soon as I think I can, and not a month sooner....:D:D

grumbeast

Jan 13, 2003
Dartmouth, N.S. Canada
www.accesswave.ca
Hi Bob,

Masonite is exactly what I used and I got my local hardware company to rip it for me into 8' x 6 " strips. The only thing I would advise is to frame it up a little where pieces butt up against each other. Oh, and remember to use the shiny side out! :) It takes paint very well and makes the room look so much more inviting.

Graham

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Again, my thanks to all of you for a couple of great ideas, not the least of which is not to put it on too early. I have been busy filling cracks between the foam board with light spackle and when I finish that will begin the track laying process. I figure that just before I am ready to scenick in an area I will do my last bit with the spackle, apply the facia touch and then touch up with the spackle. Anyone see any problems with that approach?

Bob