Economics decide the interchange

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I've designated an interchange track on my layout and have been wanting to get an unpowered locomotive lettered for another road to interchange with my Penn Central. I ws thinking maybe D&H but then during a visit to my LHS I found this CN GP9 for only $7.99! I figure CN is a realistic interchange with the PC, especially for my vaguely NY/PA region layout. The loco sits at one end of the interchange, supposedly having just delivered some cars.

One question for CN fans: was the zebra stripe paint scheme around in the early 1970's?
Thanks!
Ralph

Attachments

• cn.jpg
    cn.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 101
  • cn.jpg
    cn.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 101

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Cool!

Ralph I must commend you on your excellent choice! As Massey Ferguson is a customer of Kingsport Steel it is quite possible that empty cars may be returning via CN or perhaps finished products such as tractors and combines.

The "wet noodle" logo (which was part of the whole graphics redesign, including the red and zebra stripe livery) was created by Alan Fleming in 1959. It was not in major use though until 1961. Either way - you're covered.

cheers
Val

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Robin,
Thanks for the great CN link! Fans of the road should see this! I found what I was looking for and am pleased to say the scheme is protypic.
Val,
Thanks for the confirmation! I like the idea of interchanging to get you the steel you need. My little folks need tractors so a load of those once in a while should appear on the line as well. I recall in another thread some one suggested you might need something other than coiled steel. Was it bars?
Ralph

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Hi Ralph

I don't remember what was said on that other thread, but I think the foundry will need pig iron, or ingots and scrap steel as well. The coiled steel is of course for the fabricating and stamping plant, and some of that scrap would probably find it's way over to the foundry too.

cheers
Val