Ebayers can be pretty stupid

Ravensfan

Just sounding off a little bit here, I hope nobody gets offended. I started checking out ebay thinking that I might be able to pick up some stuff at cheaper rates to fill up my table with HO stuff, mostly getting track, and I noticed how some people just have no idea what they are doing. When I put bids in, I have a good idea of what new plus tax or shipping would cost, so I'm not going to bid on something used and pay full retail, yet I continually see bidders jacking up prices to exceed retail. What a bunch of dopes! Sometimes I feel like sending the bidders an email and telling them where they can get the same thing, new, for less.

On the other hand, I got some EZ track recently for less than half the price it would have cost me to buy new, including shipping. I think I'm addicted to this hobby now.

jon-monon

Try getting something that's unique or a little bit rare in the US, sheesh, took me months to get a Fleischmann switcher for a reasonable price, then only because it was listed as broken. I had my Dawg fix it.

Ben H

"Don't Know What is Worth -- But I Can Get On Ebay"

I to have been amazed by what some people will pay for a item. Even people who have been buying on Ebay. Yes I have had some good deals and yes I have paid more for a used item only because it was rare to me.

Recently I was out bid on a PDA by 10 people who keep going higher until they surpassed the price Dell would sell it to you with shipping added. These people still had to put shipping on to their final cost.

In the group of 10 only 4 had ever bought on Ebay before. Scary but nice if you are the seller.

Ravensfan, I think it is the other way around, it is the people that buy the article for full price that are the stupid ones. People selling stuff can put on a any price that they hope to get and only the smart modeler who, like you and many more of us, do their research before bidding realize that it is over priced & do not bid. As I stated it is the stupid ones who bid on the high price ones, then whine about it later. Buyer beware !!
Just one persons opinion.. Ron..

Vic

Hi Ravens, Yes you are right...there just seems to be a "I gotta have it at any cost" mentality there.....I love it!!!......When I can buy a dinner plate for $1.00 at a yardsale and sell it on eBay for $100!!!:eek: :D especially when I knew it was worth no more than $10!!!:D :D and would have been happy to have gotten half of that!!:D I never have "done" train on eBay but from what I've seen I think I ought to start!!:D

MCL_RDG

I love stupid people...

I love stupid people, they're so funny. Like a little puppy chasing a ball across a waxed kitchen floor and slides head fitst into a wall. At least the puppy does it because it's a puppy.

Was it P.T. Barnum that said, "There's a sucker born evey minute."?:eek:

Mark

brakie

Time and again I stand in awl of the bids for a common car or locomotive..I really like the terms Rare Athearn!,Hard to find!,old Athearn,ect,ect. Folks,These hard to find cars can be found in most hobby shops for the full retail price for less then $7.00.Yet,I seen some cars go as high as 30.00..I often wondered what the buyer thought when he saw this"Rare ect" Athearn car in his LHS?

I am yet to use e bay,as I don't see that many great prices or a really good deals.:D

That's why sellers like auctions. When I was a kid living in a farming community, we used to go to the Saturday auction for family entertainment. Entertainment from watching people buy junk, not from buying anything ourselves.

I've since seen the same thing at art auctions. Some people can't wait to bid, get into a competition with other bidders, and run the price up to the point where the dumbest bidder gets the prize.

And yes, I've seen stuff on eBay go for far more than it could possibly be worth to anyone, but it's a good place to look, because every once in a while something can be picked up for a reasonable price. It's a matter of "let the buyer beware."

BillS

pcentral

I have seen this "I hate Ebay" thread come up on other RR forums and hoped it wouldn't show up here. I know that is not Ravensfan's intent, but just wait and watch the bashing begin. I have been an Ebayer since the early days and I still find great deals quite a bit. What so many seem to forget is newbies to the hobby (such as RF was not to long ago) don't always know the value of an item. I travel with my layout to train shows throughout CA and talk to alot of people who either don't have a LHS or read any MRR mags. There are many people who also get caught up in the bidding and against better judgement bid more than they plan to. I am personally guilty of this one, that is why I decide how high I will go and bid that to start and don't go back until the auction closes. Last thing I want to add is that I have seen on several occassions these "stupid people" buying things that are overpriced at shows. I will get off the soap box now and let someone else have it. Sorry about the rant but I get a little ruffled when Ebay gets blamed for all that is wrong with peoples buying habits. Steve

Ravensfan

Originally posted by pcentral
I have seen this "I hate Ebay" thread come up on other RR forums and hoped it wouldn't show up here. I know that is not Ravensfan's intent, but just wait and watch the bashing begin. I have been an Ebayer since the early days and I still find great deals quite a bit. What so many seem to forget is newbies to the hobby (such as RF was not to long ago) don't always know the value of an item...

Hey, pcentral, it wasn't meant to be an "I hate Ebay" thread and I don't think it has evolved that way. It was merely my observation about some of the buyers, and I should have it clear that I was referring to buyers. I never said I hate Ebay, just that some people who are uneducated and uninformed can get ripped off. Now, for sellers, ebay can be a great thing to get rid of stuff you don't need or want anymore and get your money back on it.

i done both on e bay bought and sold i had this one time that this seller had a lot of steam locos about 40 of them and he also had a lot of n scale track i put a bid on them both and at the last min the seller pulled the locos off of e-bay then about 2 months later i was at a train show and swap i see a guy selling a box of steam locos and to get to the point it was the same locos i put a bid in on e-bay i talked to the guy and got them for 1/2 of what i would have spent on e-bay as for selling on e-bay i had a mis print loco every thing was worng on it the lettering was messed up and the loco was on recall from the maker only 40 made it out before they found it out i bought it right from the maker for 45.00 and sold it for over 300.00 i also sold a set of ho scale trailer train cars a 10 car set i bought for 150.00 for 275.00 but i found that their is good deals on their if the seller has it where you can just buy it i do that alot..

spitfire

Whoa Scoobyloven take a breath there man! LOL!

It's not just eBay - what about the Walther's website? I ordered from them a couple times myself but then I found the discount places and discovered I could pay up to half Walthers price on many items. And yet it's clear that lots of people are using the Walthers site - and it's great for checking things out, so I'm glad they are. If I had to order from just the discount places without seeing so much as a photo - I wouldn't.

I guess we bargain hunters are entitled to feel a little bit smug from time to time - and have a good laugh over what "some people" will pay!

cheers
:D Val

jon-monon

Well, I think this thread could be wrapped up with a quote from Capt. Kirk, "Beam me up Scotty, there is no intelligent life down here."

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
In my experience (Rating 103-- I've sold 25 items & bought the rest) I've seen it all. I buy mostly Railroadiana - one of a kind collectables.

I have sold things for 30 - 35% more than I had bought them years ago.

My favorite adage about e-Bay?? - There's somebody in another part of the internet - that has no access to stores - that can't live without this item.

My "Pet Peeve"?? - Some Knucklehead that shows us with 35 seconds left in the auction - and outbids me by $1.00!! :mad: :eek: :mad: I don't mind if the person has bid on the item before - but somebody just "passing through" bidding for the first time on the item really gets to me..

e-Bay isn't bad - just like anything on or off the internet - it's not the "entity" it's some of the lesser informed intellectualls that ruin it for everyone else.... :( :(

Ravensfan

Originally posted by N Gauger
My "Pet Peeve"?? - Some Knucklehead that shows us with 35 seconds left in the auction - and outbids me by $1.00!! :mad: :eek: :mad: I don't mind if the person has bid on the item before - but somebody just "passing through" bidding for the first time on the item really gets to me...

HAHAHAHA. I gotta laugh at that one, 'cause I've done it. Although not quite the way you depict. I kept the item in my watch section without bidding and then at the last minute put in a bid. It's not that I came along, it's just that I didn't want anybody to know that I was a potential bidder, possibly driving the price up too high. You should try it sometime. It doesn't always work though.

Bob Collins

I rather enjoy e-Bay. It beats watching TV :D

I have purchased a number of items for what I think is a fair price. Initially I got stung a couple of times. but I have learned to keep my Walthers Reference Book handy. I also usually am looking for something specific, so don't just jump into any old auction. I was able to find all but one of the excursion type UPRR passenger cars I want just taking my time.

I agree with the comments regarding "Rare this or that," "one of a kind." etc. I usually just blow right by those, but on the other hand, I have been able to watch for certain sellers I have dealt with in the past and continue to get what was advertised for a reasonable price.

Maybe we all ought to put our e-Bay names here on the Gauge, that way you'll know exactly who you think is either a "dumb buyer", or like I have done several times myself, bid in the last couple of minutes of an auction. I seem to believe that is why they offer you the opportunity to narrow your search to "items ending today" or "going, going, gone" I figure it all evens out in the end, I've had folks do it to me and I see nothing wrong at all with bidding anytime you are comfortable doing so.

I've been watching for some of the Altas DCC locos and have found one, which is now on my layout, for considerably less than retail. I am also 100 miles from the nearest hobby shop, which I admit has also influenced my decisions.

One of the things that will drive me away from ANY seller is when I see what I consider a jacked up postage and handling charge. I just don't do business with those folks..period:mad: :mad:

But all in all, now that I feel I am better prepared to judge the product I think I do okay on e-Bay.

Bob

N Gauger

Both good points. :) I've done it too when nobody else has bid on the item. But I bid on somethig with at least a few hours left in the bid, if there are other bidders.
You're right - sometimes you get it and sometimes you dont - it all evens out :) :) :)

My name on e-bay is: ngauger

Bob Collins

Since I model on HO, I doubt that we would find ourselves bidding against each other N Gauger. I did have an experience early on though, where I got excited about something I saw on the HO thread, bid on it, won it and when it arrived it was in N gauge. It was only a few dollars and so I just gave it to the local train club who had recently bought an n gauge layout from an estate. All worked out fine. I just never did figure out why the gentleman put his n-gauge cars on the HO gauge thread.

I have no problem telling what my e-Bay name is: catspaw36. If you think I cut you off at the end or did something else you find offensive you know where to find me. I'm not mean, just don't always have six days to wait out an auction so I pick them up at or near the end. Actually, I'd like to know if anyone thinks I've violated any protocol or appear to be less than polite. That would not be my nature and I certainly never go out of my way to offend anyone.

Bob

N Gauger

Originally posted by Bob Collins
Since I model on HO, I doubt that we would find ourselves bidding against each other N Gauger. I did have an experience early on though, where I got excited about something I saw on the HO thread, bid on it, won it and when it arrived it was in N gauge. It was only a few dollars and so I just gave it to the local train club who had recently bought an n gauge layout from an estate. All worked out fine. I just never did figure out why the gentleman put his n-gauge cars on the HO gauge thread.

I have no problem telling what my e-Bay name is: catspaw36. If you think I cut you off at the end or did something else you find offensive you know where to find me. I'm not mean, just don't always have six days to wait out an auction so I pick them up at or near the end. Actually, I'd like to know if anyone thinks I've violated any protocol or appear to be less than polite. That would not be my nature and I certainly never go out of my way to offend anyone.

Bob

I don't buy Ho or N or G - I'm only into Historical Memorabilia. :) :)

I see your points -- it's not by choice - it's by necessity.

I didn't post my name except that it's the same as my name here on the board. :) :) You have every right to bid when & where you choose - just like the rest of us.

My original statement was only to add to the list of uncontrolable things that people do on e-Bay that's not e-Bay's fault. :(

I can't see anywhere you've violated protocal - as there is none - They are all auctions - "May the person with the most money, win" LOL