Ebay find

Gil Finn

Aug 28, 2005
Bergoo W Va
I dont generaly post about a new car or engine as a rule but I have been shut up a while and I am a little bored without much else going on.

I decided to share some ebay hunting for projects.

I bought this $8 dash 8 on ebay and it came today.:D

It is my first Walthers engine and I like the detail.

Haven't ran it yet.

I have several Atherans switchers and several Spectrom steamers and diesels.

I repainted those earlier and have some pics on my pic and post index for HO.

Phots on: http://gilfinn.proboards83.com/

Santa Fe Jack

Jul 20, 2006
Lost Almost, New Mexico
Netiquette

planeshavings42 said:
SOUND'S LIKE A HECK OF A DEAL YOU MADE, THAT KIND DOESN'T COME ALONG VERY OFTEN, KEEP US POSTED ON HOW IT RUNS. announce1 BY THE BY, I TRULY LIKE YOUR EPITAPH,

we are one nation under God in whom I still trust. ME TOO MY FRIEND!!! :thumb:

Please, please, there is no need to shout. As a matter of Internet etiquette, posting in all caps is the equivalent of shouting, and bold all caps is yelling at the top of your lungs. announce1Tone it down. Just so you know.

I also would appreciate leaving religious views and such out of these postings. I for one find the "one nation under god" stuff offensive.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Yes it is generally understood that bold type indicates "shouting" online but not everyone knows that. Its good to have a heads up on how we might be perceived so we aren't misunderstood.

Model Railroading appeals to a wide variety of people who otherwise may have very different views and opinions about social, political, and religious issus. The Gauge permits members to include signature quotes and avatars that reflect their individuality. Some may express political, religious, or other interests that might not represent the views of some other members. We ask for mutual tolerance and respect between members in these cases. In general, this is a railroad forum and most of what we post is about trains as it should be. Debates over religion and politics are not within the scope of The Gauge forums and can be pursued in other forums intended for that purpose. so, keep it light, keep it civil, be mindful that we come from all kinds of backgrounds but share a common interest.

Thanks,
Ralph

Santa Fe Jack

Jul 20, 2006
Lost Almost, New Mexico
Exactly, Ralph. I certainly do NOT want to start any kind of religious thread undercurrent. I was trying to politely alert the poster that his statements (especially when shouting) could be offensive to some of us.

Since apparently this is allowed in signatures, I will restrict my own views to mine.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
Good find on that Dash 8. It seems whenever I bid on anything on ebay, what used to be a good deal, get's jacked up beyond belief in the last couple minutes of bidding.
Regarding all caps and bold type.... I've found that lots of people who don't have the greatest of eyesight (my uncle included) use this method because it is easier for them to read.

Santa Fe Jack

Jul 20, 2006
Lost Almost, New Mexico
TrainNut said:
Regarding all caps and bold type.... I've found that lots of people who don't have the greatest of eyesight (my uncle included) use this method because it is easier for them to read.
Good point. This is why browser users can adjust the size of web page elements, including type, to their own liking. That said, the use of all caps and bold is indeed considered to be shouting as a matter of netiquette.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
"Since apparently this is allowed in signatures, I would consider adding my own views to mine, but I'm sure that many would not accept my political and religious views."

Jack The Gauge extends the same priviledges and responsiiblities to you as it does to any member.

Gil Finn said:
Oh crap, here we go.

sign1 I think we're OK here Gil. :)

Once is a while we check in with each other about stuff like this. No sweat.

Now i believe this thread was originally about an $8 Dash 8. Have you had a chance to see how it runs?

Sorry For The Offence

Santa Fe Jack said:
Please, please, there is no need to shout. As a matter of Internet etiquette, posting in all caps is the equivalent of shouting, and bold all caps is yelling at the top of your lungs. announce1Tone it down. Just so you know.

I also would appreciate leaving religious views and such out of these postings. I for one find the "one nation under god" stuff offensive.

SORRY SANTA FE JACK, SOME OF US DON'T SEE SO WELL ANYMORE, AND THE BOLD LARGE PRINT IS NECESSARY, ALSO AS TO MY BELIEF IN GOD, YOU DON'T HAVE TO READ ANYTHING ON THE GAUGE YOU DON'T WANT TO, BUT THIS AMERICA, "LAND OF THE FREE" THANK GOD, AND I STILL HAVE THE RIGHT TO MY OPINION AND A CERTAIN IN-ALIENABLE RIGHT TO MY RELIGIOUS FEELINGS AND OPINIONS!!! announce1

Santa Fe Jack

Jul 20, 2006
Lost Almost, New Mexico
Regarding netiquette

Ralph said:
Yes it is generally understood that bold type indicates "shouting" online but not everyone knows that. Its good to have a heads up on how we might be perceived so we aren't misunderstood.

Thanks,
Ralph
Again, it is considered rude to use all caps, which indicates shouting. Use of BOLD ALL CAPS is considered exceedingly rude on the 'net, unless it is necessary to make a point (as I just did). If you have trouble reading the text, then simply adjust the text size in your browser. Otherwise, you may be able to read your own text, but not that of others, anyway.

If you were hard of hearing, would you shout when having a conversation? Of course not -- your audience can hear you perfectly well, and you know what you are saying, so there is no need to shout. The same applies here.

What set me off originally was the SHOUTING of the content more than the content itself. (See Ralph's note above about being misunderstood.) I have no problem with our first amendment rights. Just, please be civil and use appropriate etiquette to avoid future misunderstandings and confrontations.
Carry on.

kchronister

Nov 1, 2004
Boiling Springs, PA
Santa Fe Jack said:
Again, it is considered rude to use all caps, which indicates shouting. Use of BOLD ALL CAPS is considered exceedingly rude on the 'net, unless it is necessary to make a point (as I just did). If you have trouble reading the text, then simply adjust the text size in your browser. Otherwise, you may be able to read your own text, but not that of others, anyway.

If you were hard of hearing, would you shout when having a conversation? Of course not -- your audience can hear you perfectly well, and you know what you are saying, so there is no need to shout. The same applies here.

What set me off originally was the SHOUTING of the content more than the content itself. (See Ralph's note above about being misunderstood.) I have no problem with our first amendment rights. Just, please be civil and use appropriate etiquette to avoid future misunderstandings and confrontations.
Carry on.

Now that your horse is extraordinarily dead, Jack, can we get back to talking about trains?

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Are there any advantages of buying the "pay now" price over simply bidding on an item? I've never really seriously considered buying anything - but are there good deals to be had without bidding? I've heard too many times that the last few minutes of the auction are crazy with computer programs raising the price that for days hadn't changed. It's encouraging to hear someone scoring a good deal for a good quality product...good for you!

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
Herc Driver

When I'm a seller, the "buy it now" prices for items the same as or very similar to mine end up setting a cap on the price I'm likely to receive for an item. Very seldom does the bidding go over what a dealer is asking for in "buy it now", and I don't blame the bidders for that. Because I don't have a large stock backing me up, and I don't want to list items more than once, setting a "buy it now" price is of little value to me.

Often the starting bid and the "buy it now" price are very close. This tells me what the seller thinks the item is worth. If it sells, he is either at or under the market price. If it doesn't sell, he is at or above market price. I personally prefer to let eBay buyers tell me what an item is worth.

As a buyer, I mainly use eBay to obtain out-of-production kits and locos that can't be bought at any of the hobby shops I normally use. Before placing a bid, I research what the model has been typically selling for. I decide on the maximum price I am willing to pay for that item, and bid that amount. Most auctions I lose to last-minute sniping. That doesn't bother me, since they paid more than I was willing to. I do win enough to keep my stash of unbuilt kits at a several year level (VBG), and to occasionally discover the wrath of the railraod's CFO (VBF).

I will use a "buy it now" price if it is the item I want, and the price is under my maximum for that item. Haven't seen that yet due to the factors I mentioned above in the setting of "buy it now" prices.

I have scored a couple of times when I did not bid enough to cover the "seller's reserve price". The seller realized he wasn't going to get his reserve price, and offered it to me as the high bidder on a "second chance" basis.

PS I used to fly CG helos for a living, and was maintenance officer for both helos and C-130s at the CG base in Elizabeth City. If I didn't know you flew for the National Guard, I'd readily believe you were one of us.

my thoughts, your choices

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Wow Fred - small world. The CG is great...what a mission nowadays...they get to do a little of everything. Of course the guard is just like being back on active duty USAF again.

I haven't tried ebay out yet but appreciate the information. I'm more worried about the quality of the merchandise...I've heard of great quality products and some that were portrayed as good but really were not. I know...let the buyer beware. Though I'm glad there's a rating system for sellers. And it's encouraging to hear of people getting good values/good quality for their money. If I find the right product - I might give it a try.