Ebay auction "snipers" get my goat

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by hiscopilot, Jan 21, 2007.

1. hiscopilot

hiscopilot Member

Wow, this thread really took off!

I was in such a crummy mood when I posted the first that I pretty much left it alone because I was just plain flipping mad!!!!

Anyway I have been on EBay since 1999 and have had this happen here or there, but in the last year thats how I managed to not buy many items (trying to avoid saying "lost" perhaps "lost out"?). I am not dumb, I don't bid on more than its worth to me. Maybe thate better how its said- it ruffles my feathers because people will outbid you just to outbid you, not because its a great deal or whatnot. The stuff I get on ebay is usually the kind of stuff you find at a yardsale or something so its super cheap and I can't even come close to it in my train store (or other store for other items). As a seller, even though it costs me more, I always put a buy it now price for about 2/3 of its retail value if new, or its going value if not, just to allow people who want the item for the item, not the thrill of winning an auction.

I am known for placing a 3 day auction and if no bids around 12 hours, I extend the auction by a couple of days. etc until I reach the 10 day mark.

If someone were to ever bid more than its worth, I usually offer a discount on shipping or add in an extra goodie- but most of the stuff I sold was handmade, so there was no said value on it.

Anyway, thanks for the empathy and the lessons on how others feel. For those who understood my gripe- :) For those that didn't... oh well... I don't expect everyone to share my feelings so :) to you too!

I tell you what though- my stepdad has an auto dealer license and we go to the auto auction sometimes... you're right about the excitement of a real auction. WOW! Now thats a sight!

Shew, I cannot WAIT for yard sale season again!
  2. CRed

CRed Member

I'd never try to outbid someone just because I could,that's just stupid.I see it though,like when an item is worth so much but is being bid on by alot of people for much more then it's worth then that's probably what's happening.Ah well,let them waste their money if they want to.

If it makes you feel any better hiscopilot,if I saw that you were the high bidder I wouldn't snipe you:thumb:.

I may be selling a few cars here in the near future,if you need some I'll give you a good deal.No more then what I paid for them off E-Bay.

3. hiscopilot

hiscopilot Member

Hey thanks!!!!!!!!

I am looking for dirt cheap engines that resemble members of the Thomas and friends family so I can make other Friends out of them. The ones I got outbid on were 2 that looked a lot like 'Arry and 'Bert and they went together for about $10 with shipping, but they looked like toys, like junk... thats why I wanted them. Oh well, someone else wanted them more. I am better now (I do fit the bill for typical woman sometimes-moody LOL).
  4. Thoroughbreed

Thoroughbreed Member

I've been sniped a few times, and most of the time I'll go back and make these peeps pay their top bid for an item.:D
    Recently, I was sniped for a Illinois Central Duplex Sleeper, and they sniped me with 2 mins left, so I went in andd jacked the price up to $35, they sniped back, and back and forth we went. It didnt bother me to pay that much for the item, but I brt after it was over, they sat back and wondered what they had just done:D. Item costed them $58 including shipping for a Rivarossi duplex sleepersign1
    If someone snipes me, I'll make them pay their highest bid:thumb:

Most of the time I look for "buy it now" to avoid the bidding wars. I bought my NIB Prodigy Advance for $207 inc shipping, and have bought more items from that seller since then.
  5. YmeBP

YmeBP Member

The funny part is most of the stuff IS from yardsales and flea markets.

6. hiscopilot

hiscopilot Member

yeah, but I cant get to every yard sale... :)
  7. jbaakko

jbaakko Active Member

No worries, I'm a hacker, It'll operate properly when I get done with it, and look good too.
  8. Torpedo

Torpedo Member

Yeah, but I'll bet you make it to the Great American Yard Sale every year to make up for those you miss locally. :D:D:D
  9. CRed

CRed Member

Yeah I think I know what you're talking about,they're switchers right?I think I saw a couple last week,one was red and the other was blue I think.They look like cheap dollar store toys.

I have a wife and 13 yr. old daughter so I know what moody is!

10. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

The piano player stopped and everyone is ducking under tables in the saloon! :)
  11. CRed

CRed Member

What makes it really bad is that one just started their monthly cycle while the others is on the down swing,talk about hormonal imbalances!

Fotunantly we have a couple bridges that are high enough up to do the job.sign1

12. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Someone just tried to snipe me....'n I got 'em...woo hoo:thumb:

13. CRed

CRed Member

That's great shaygetz!

That GIF Image is disturbing though!sign1

14. Thoroughbreed

Thoroughbreed Member

HeHe, try A wife and 2 teenage daughters:cry: :curse: :oops: :wave: announce1

now you know why I dissappear to my room:D
  15. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

I fell off my chair when I found that one...:thumb:
  16. sidetracked

sidetracked Member

I just sniped two really cool items myself,,, and three yesterday,,, i love it,,,, to me that is how a auction is supposed to be,,,, bid the most your willing to pay at the last min....,,, never been to a auction that lasted for five days or so,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,st