Ebay auction "snipers" get my goat

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by hiscopilot, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Torpedo

Torpedo Member

Yeah, there are sure a lot of people gouging on shipping. I don't fall for it and won't bid if the shipping is out of line. They rig the insurance charges too. Often they ship USPS but charge more than the USPS insurance rates for the winning bid value. EBay does nothing about it.

On the few auctions I have run, I always do flate rate shipping via UPS or FedEX for a reasonable fee, which includes insurance.
  2. jbaakko

jbaakko Active Member

Personaly I bid & forget, when I check my email I eaither get "you have won" or "you have been outbid on"...

Works out fine for me!
  3. conrailmike

conrailmike Member

I admit that I snipe most everything I buy on ebay. But like nkp174 said, I only go after it when I know that it's a good deal, or it's something that's out of production and you can't find it anymore.

4. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Me too, case in point, a dirty looking boxlot of trainparts I bought. Potential bidders were having fun nickel and dimeing each other to death. I saw an interesting looking piece in the middle of the picture and sniped the lot in the last seconds for $21 including shipping. When it got to me, my suspicions were confirmed---a mint Sagami remotoring kit that I turned around and resold for $75 w/o shipping. The remainder of the lot had about $40 in parts I could use and another $25 in salable parts. It's how I pay for my hobby and how I stock up on spare parts that more than a couple Gaugers have benefited from in the past. It's fun, legal, part of the game, nobody gets hurt and by golly I do have that part for a 1964 AHM Fairbanks Morse C Liner that I or that feller over in Whereami, NC needs:thumb:

I too, have marveled at what folks were willing to pay for something that could easily be gotten cheaper elsewhere.. I worked for a woman that had rooms full of QVC boxes that she hadn't even opened and wondered if there was some kind of connection to that kind of buying.
  5. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

can your expertese & mass part inevintory help save that loco Cannonball will send ya or will LongIslandMike have a round of Skeet shooting?:D sign1
  6. CRed

CRed Member

Same here.I don't do it just for the hell of it,but if it's a really good deal I go for it.It's a "You win some,you lose some"deal and when I lose I only get upset at myself for not bidding higher then I did.I've lost auctions at the last second by a few cents,now that really makes me angry at myself and not the person that won.I've won my share so I'm happy with the system,other then the gouging on shipping as Torpedo said.

7. YmeBP

YmeBP Member

Sniping for me is like going to vegas or atlantic city :) it adds a little excitement, but if there is something i want and i know what its worth, or better still i know what it's worth to me i just enter it as my max bid and forget about. Honestly i see very little difference in sniping and just entering what you will pay for it. I've won many an auction against snipers and still made out... then again i've lost auctions by a dollar or two and kicked myself.

Funny thing when i sell on ebay i notice that it really evens itself out. I sold a 300 computer part for 5 bux .. goldtoth1 guy didn't even have to snipe it.. no one wanted it. The .. a run of the mill computer part that doesn't even work sells for 140 bux. I was astounded.

I say snipe away if it's legal it's fair.
  8. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

:D :D :D :D ....PULL!!!!....:D :D :D :D

9. CRed

CRed Member

Gosh darn it,I just got outsniped by $.11!heh

Nice item too!
  10. corwinktbt

corwinktbt Old-time steam.

I'm a sniper from long back. I've been using eBay for 10 years and I learned early on that if you bid long before the action is over, you just encourage someone to start a bidding war. Now I generally have two windows open, one at the item, which I refresh, every minute or so and one that has my max bid. About seconds before the close, I bid the max that I want to pay for it and I either get it for less than my max or someone out-bids me in the last few seconds.

When I do find something interesting, I research it to see what the cost would be at various places on the net and factor in the shipping (and yes, many sellers make a good profit on shipping. I know, I’ve sold a bit in the past and I know what a good envelope or box costs and the cost of shipping [what gnaws at me is lots of these guys only ship priority and then a lot of the time, they take their time to get it to the post office anyway.]). When I sell, I only change the actual shipping and the cost of the container which is usually about 5 dollars unless you absolutely need it last year.
    Couple cases in point. A month ago, I had book marked(I also don’t ‘watch’ items to let anyone know someone is interested in it) an 1879 railroad builder’s pictorial dictionary (actually the 1949 reprint). I knew how much it cost from a few places online and factored in the difference in shipping. I bid in the last 20 seconds and still got outbid. Oh well. A few weeks later, I bid on another book in the last 20 seconds and I won it. Still saved $5.
    I do get a thrill watching some of these nuts bidding long after it has gone past what I’d pay for it. It’s amazing seeing something going for 2 to 3 times the price I’d pay at the LHS including state sales tax and including gas for the 90 mile roundtrip. Then I could wonder about the people who bid up on anything that had ‘vintage’ or ‘antique’ in the listing title. Usually the seller knows what it's worth, but hopes to get a higher bid because it is ‘vintage’.
  11. CRed

CRed Member

Yeah I know what you mean,a word I see alot is RARE.That would be fine if it was actually worthy of that description,but I don't think an Athearn Boxcar or Tyco engine is worthy of it.
    funny thing is,alot of the auctions that do that get a ton of bids and all they're bidding on is an old engine or freight car.What a buch of ...uhm,you know whats!

12. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

I see this at TCA meets, too---just because it's old does not mean it's worth anything. That's my best advice to any and all newcomers to The Gauge and to the hobby.
  13. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

just remember, things are only worth what a buyer is willing to pay, if someone bids 900.00 on something then it was worth it to them.
  14. CRed

CRed Member

I think when it comes to E-Bay the key is to be informed, period.Before jumpimg the gun and buying something just because it's described as being "rare" and alot of people are bidding on it do some research,Google is your friend and has saved me money in the past.And even if it is something you want,look around first because you never know,you may find it somewhere else for alot less.Maybe even at your LHS.

15. jbaakko

jbaakko Active Member

So I'm back to siding with you, the damn sniper got my DD40AX! I tried to make a glorious return in 20 seconds to go, bid $60 and the bastard had bid $60, has 3 seconds to try again, and failed!

Guess I keep watching unless someone wants to sell me a Bachmann Spectrum DD40AX for under $60.
  16. YmeBP

YmeBP Member

Not that i'm advertising, but ... automate your sniping .. that way you get to just watch .. kinda like roulette :)

17. dpmohne

dpmohne New Member

If I don't have a bid before the last 10 hours I cancel the auction manually.
  18. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

I think a lot of people look at an Ebay auction as a game to be won or lost instead of a place to purchase something. If you don't believe me, look how many times the term "I won" this or that on Ebay comes up. Look at it this way. You didn't win anything. You paid more than somebody else would.
  19. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

what about for the people like me that dont have time to go back past 10 hours to bid on something, ? i mean there over 19000 for lionel alone. it would take me 10 hours to look through everything to get to an item with more then 10 hours left....lol

20. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

jbaakko: I don't think you missed much by not getting that DD40AX. Somebody donated one to our club. It needs large radius curves and is too light to pull much of a load. I guess you could do what we do. Put it on a siding as a display of what was.