Ebay auction "snipers" get my goat

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by hiscopilot, Jan 21, 2007.

1. kf4jqd

kf4jqd Active Member

That's life and captitalism! Anyway to win, as long it's legal is fine with me! I've lost to snippers. Oh well. I have a friend that told me to download a snipper program. I never did. As for those sellers who don't like snippers and refuse to sell to the, It's their own lost.

2. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

That works for most things Brian but if your looking for a cheap deal then you have to play the game with the snipers. But then the seller gets it all back with the shipping costs. :)
  3. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

Just be sure that "winning" the auction doesn't become the over-riding goal of your pursuit. Know what you want, know what you are willing to pay, and if you don't "win," there is always the LHS or the online companies.

Chasing down the "lowest price" is not always the wisest decision. Building a relationship with the LHS is usually a good thing.
  4. LoudMusic

LoudMusic Member

Exactly! Why would anyone ever bid less than they were willing to pay? You are going to pay one increment higher than the next highest bidder no matter how many times you and everyone else bids. Bid once.
  5. stripes

stripes Member

I have sold a few items on ebay. Recently I listed an item that was worth $3.50 retail, for $1.75
    Ok, the auction is almost over and along comes someone at the last second and bids $40.00 ????????
    Well guess what! Its been 3 weeks, I have not been paid yet, and some realistic bidder lost out due to some idiot!
    It takes all kinds and ya just got to go with the flow!

6. railohio

railohio Active Member

I've got two open auctions now I'm bidding on. I put in a minimum bid for each and walked away. If someone wants them more than I do then they'll get 'em. No need to babysit anything; I'll get a note in my e-mail saying if I won them or not.
  7. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

The excitement of an auction is to get something for less than you were willing to pay. I've been to many auctions in my time, well before there was a eBay or even a Net, and getting a bargain is absolutely the greatest feeling. That's why people bid in increments. I bought an awfully large amount of electronic parts, office furniture and manufacturing equipment in my time at auctions, stuff that I'd never buy unless I could actually see what it was like first.

Now as far as eBay goes, I can see where for some it's addictive, for others it's a way of life, just like some yard sale junkies. For me, I avoid going there, I guess I've reached a point in my life that I don't need that much and I'm happy with what I've got. Mostly though, I'm a bit skeptical about getting taken by some unscrupulous buyer or seller. I guess I'd be upset if I were "sniped", but it does sound like a fair way to bid, after all we have all those things built into regular sit-down auctions and what's fair for one, is fair for all.

Maybe I'm just afraid that if I get started on eBay, that I'll get hooked and will need to go to counseling to break off before I wind up with a house full of stuff I don't need...:D
  8. LoudMusic

LoudMusic Member

Well the way ebay works is that you don't have to pay what you bid. You have to pay one incrment higher than the next highest bid. Lets say ...

You bid $15.00.
    Someone else bids $8.50.
    You have to pay $9 (assuming bids go in 50 cent increments).

So bid what it's worth to you and be done with it. It's people that bid one increment higher back and forth 100 times that confuse me. Maybe they just don't understand how it works.
  9. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Send him another copy of the invoice.. Give him 3 days to pay or you'll report him as an unpaid bidder (I just did this and i got paid within 5 hours of e-bay sending him a warning) :D

When 3 days comes, if you still aren't paid, report him, then wait for e-bay to see what they can do (Remember youre paying e-bay for these services :)

Then, after e-bay cant force him to pay, close the complaint then offer a second chance offer to the second bidder and get paid! :) :)

These "Automated Sniper programs are a royal pain" -- I have had good and bad experiences with them....

As far as e-bay is concerned, "teh sellers arent complaining" so they arent going to do anything about it.. (Why would "I" complain if a sniper raises my selling price 10% to 20%???)

As far as bargains, unless you make a concious decision to bid a "Set price" you are doing something wrong as a buyer.. Remember:

~~ There will ALWAYS be another one coming along soon
    ~~ Be SURE to add -- selling price - shipping price - the costs to you as a buyer ( going to the post office to pick it up if you have to)
    ~~ yes - look at the shipping, go to USPS and estimate the weight of what you are going to buy and put the zip codes in the form and "Check" the seller's hidden costs for shipping materials ($1.00 added to every auction of mine) Some idiots charge $3 - $4.00 -- If you find one, dont bother bidding, you're paying a decent price, Plus a couple of more dollars in their pocket....
    ~~ E-bay is starting to crack down on sellers who constantly charge for (Shipping materials + E-bay charges + Pay-pal charges) As a seller - you can't charge the buyer for all you charges then add $4.00 onto the totals, it's not right.... You can however charge the buyers for all the charges... legitimately :D
    ~~ the "Waiting" period, (Yes sometimes i want it NOW sign1 )

When you add all these things together Bid a price, and Let it Go!!!! If you lost - you lose
    It's this kind of thinking that makes for a good auction, if everyone goes nuts bidding (God i lov that as a seller) the price + Shipping + hidden costs are always too high
  10. oldtanker

oldtanker Member

I stopped using evilbay a couple of years ago. Never got burned but watched as things when for way more than they were worth. I just got tired of bidding only to be outbid cause someone who had bid already was determined to win.

11. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

The first auction I ever attended, ya know, stand there and wiggle your finger or twitch an eye to bid, I saw a compressor go for more than it was selling for brand new at Sears. I couldn't figure it out then, and I still can't. On eBay it has to be hard since all you're looking at is a picture and a description, but it's even worse when you're standing there looking at the item you're bidding on. If they don't know what it's worth, maybe they shouldn't be bidding, but like Mikey says, that makes for a happy seller and a real happy auctioneer.
  12. stripes

stripes Member

"If they don't know what it's worth, maybe they shouldn't be bidding, but like Mikey says, that makes for a happy seller and a real happy auctioneer."

A little research would prevent someone overbidding! As others have said, decide what the maximum is that you would pay, do some checking to see what you would pay from a LHS or online store and bid accordingly!
  13. iis612

iis612 Member

I sell tons of crap on ebay, and let me fill you in on a little secret. By the time the bidding war is over, assuming it is a hot item, the buyer has to add shipping and handling, insurance (in some cases), and time spent waiting.
    For the most part buying on ebay is a waste of time and money.
    Not in all instances. I recently bought a bunch of atlas flextrack for nearly a quarter of the cost of new.
  14. ejen34

ejen34 Member

I agree, I recently bid 9.99 on a lot I felt was not quite worth that total, but I wanted it, so I bid up to 9.99. When I checked on it after closing it had spun up to 28.01. Three times what it was worth. Crazy...........
  15. tetters

tetters Rail Spiking Fool!

Just to add to what I said earlier on and what other have pointed out, shop around, know what you are buying and bid accordingly. If you are going to end up paying more then what your LHS charged you then it's not a smart way to bid. I've been picking up a fair bit of the Proto 2000 stuff over the last week for super cheap. Incl. the shipping. I've picked up a GP9, and a dozen or so frieght cars off of different sellers for just over a $100.00. I've passed up on a couple of other really nice items too, just becuase they were getting to be too much or the seller wanted some erronous amount for shipping.
  16. cedarcreekrr

cedarcreekrr Member

I have won and lost to the last second bid. I have also sold items on ebay with the starting bid on what is the minimum I want for an item. I have been lucky and not gotten burnt yet.
  17. Wabash Banks

Wabash Banks Member

A real auctioneer does a lot to create a sense of urgency and that the item is going for a great price. They are paid to whip folks into a frenzy. Once they have the sense of urgency and a couple folks get to bidding then they switch to the you don't want the other guy to win mode and play them against each other. It is easy to see as could be if you aren't a bidder. When you are one of the bidders though a good auctioneer can really work you over and have you bidding high. That coupled with the fact most people haven't done their research as to what the going price is for something or that they can't research makes this all the more easy.
    Now Ebay works more or less the same. You get the proxy to up your bid but you get outbid notices and the sellers do the job of enticing and creating the urgency. Do that well and you will have folks nibling away. Once that happens Ebay does the rest. Now the fact that you have PLENTY of time to research your item and figure out you are paying a good price or more than the price of the item new proves that Ebay does a very good job with the "You don't want the other bidder to win and you lose" mentality. It is just plain stupidity to pay more than new for something!
  18. conrailmike

conrailmike Member

It really is terrible how people will pay more than if you went into a store and bought it. What's even worse is that some sellers try to charge you more than what your local store will charge you. I've noticed this with a lot of rolling stock lately, particularly Walthers Enclosed Autoracks. For what some people are charging, I can buy them cheaper locally, especially when you add in shipping and handling.

19. nkp174

nkp174 Active Member

I have very specific things I go for on ebay, and I watch to see how much things are going for.

In the past 3-5yrs I've only ever seen 3 NKP hudsons (hence my name & my sig). I'm also only aware of 2 On3 DSP&P moguls.

The first hudson was unpainted and had elephant ears. I picked it up for $375. A couple years later, my dad nabbed the second one (after I tipped him off) as someone had place a buy-it-now of $240 on a painted one! I nabbed the third one yesterday for $215...I was utterly shocked. The key is, the market price is pretty tough to figure out when only three have appeared on ebay in the past several years...nor have I ever seen one at a show, a hobby shop, or online. Therefore...I'll pounce on any under $275...if I have the cash.
    Yesterday I set my bid at $200 with 5min left and the bid at $150. It jumped up to $165. I sniper bid it up to $212 with 10sec left...but I'd upped my bid with 30sec left to my full $250.06 that I'd decided would be, my ceiling (I'm saving for a trip to England in March...so I didn't want to go for $300).
    Last week I bid $30 on a Gloor Craft NKP 1000 series caboose with an hour or so left and it got sniped up to $20. I also had an 18 roomete sleeper that got sniped in the last minute from $8 to $16. That was fine for the sleeper with what I'm planning for it, and I didn't care about market for the caboose. I wanted the parts to duplicat for more cabooses...the Laser kit 1000 series don't come with hardware...despite their $38 price tag, so the extinct Gloor Craft was something I knew I wouldn't see again for a few years.

EDIT: the stuff I bid on is always rare stuff, or stuff I know to be a very good deal.
  20. CRed

CRed Member

I have to admit that I have made the last second bid,but it's just the way it is.You snooze you loose,I've lost out on items I wanted the same way and it doesn't bother me at all.

Now when an item goes for way more then it's worth,that's just stupid.I see things go for alot more then you can get them from your LHS or online,it's like people just can't stand to let someone beat them on a auction.I've seen listings on the same PAGE that had huge discrepencies in price even though they are the same item.Like one item will have a reasonable buy it now and a item just like it will have a ton of bids well over the others BIN just a few lines down.What a bunch of lemmings!

What really bothers me is the shipping charges.Since when does a freight car weighting a few ounces cost $10+ to ship!Then they want you to add a few dollars more for each additional car like your adding extra pounds and not ounces to the weight of the package.So unless the item is worth it inspite of the shipping I only bid on lots to save on shipping or if the person has several items I want,has reasonable shipping charges and combines shipping.

I shouldn't complain too much though,I've won several bids on freight cars and probably paid less the half of retail for them.