Easy to assemble tracks

Ravensfan

I've gotten some good advice here about where to start with this hobby and am now looking at starter sets to get me going for the Christmas holiday. I went to my local hobby shop - and what a hobby shop it is - to check out the trains they have. Well, they boast in their yellow pages ad about having the biggest inventory on the East Coast, and I don't doubt it. Not only trains, but planes, RC cars, rockets, anything you can imagine. When looking at tracks, one of the employees indicated that the Lifelike Power-Loc was a very good track because they just snap together and you don't necessarily have to worry about the rails connecting or matching up, the system being almost foolproof.

Has anyone had experience with the Power-Loc tracks and what is that experience - good or bad?

justind

Good stuff

Actually I have quite a bit of this Power-loc track and I love it. It does just snap together and the power connections are perfect. You can have a simple loop and some sidings and such set up in a matter of minutes and with a good loco (something other than Lifelike) it is smooth sailing.

Now for the downsides...price. Your basic starter set will cost you enough, but will only come with enough track to make a loop or a loop and siding or such, nothing really overly fun to operate. You can buy more track, if your hobby shop has the stuff you can find the brass track for only about $2 for 4 straight sections, a turnout will cost you a whopping $12 though. It can add up fast, I have put my simple collection together over two years using mostly ebay sets that included the power-loc track.

Another downside to the Power-loc track is the limited selection. Plan on using turnouts and 18" radius curves, you won't find much in the way of crossings or anything like that.

In the end, it depends on what you want to do. I went with the Power-loc track because I needed something I could quickly setup on the carpet and run some trains (I live in a single bedroom apartment). But when the time comes, I won't use it for my own layout...it is too expensive and too limited. The track is preballasted and that is another downside, as you will no doubt want to apply your own ballast later. But if you want speed and ease, nothing beats the Power-loc brand of track as a temporary fix when you just got to run some trains :D .

Anyway, if you want to see the track in action check out my website:

http://www.angelfire.com/ut2/justindennis/trains/trains.html

Good luck and have fun!

Xaniel

Another good track as far as I've hear is also Kato's UNITRACK...

But I think that's quite expensive also...

Check this site. http://www.conner1.com

It's all made with that track. (incredible roster this man has!)

mykroft

Personally, I use Fleischmann Profi-Track.

Upsides:

Extensive, well designed selection,
indestructible (You can jump on it and it survives)
compatible with standard track (With or without adaptor piece)
everything is designed to fit a grid, so track planning is a cinch.
realistic looking ballast (Only Marklin comes close)
low profile (5.5mm from base to top of rail, 2.5mm/code 100 rail)
Clip on signal towers (of several different varieties and rather excellent construction)

downsides:
expensive ($5CDN for 1 36deg curved section, $40+CDN a turnout)
Odd lengths (Due to 20cm/8" default length of straight track)
Euro-style floating frog on 30cm (roughly #6/#7) Express turnouts

texaswildcat

OK now I'm currious

While I was at GATS I had a LHS tell me that Bachmann E-Z track held the majority of the market. Hate to think I got hacked but is that the case???

:confused:

Well never the less, I think I spent 30 minutes looking at the differnt types of track and actually bought the Bachmann set because I liked the train not the track. :)

My son (6 months old) gets the biggest eyes watching that train go round and round! What a great sight!!! :D :D :D

mykroft

Yeah, EZ-track does have most of the market here in North America, it's practically the only American HO track with roadbed I can find (I can get Marklin & Fleischmann track easier than True-Track or Unitrack). I still wouldn't recommend it, since the Atlas True Track can be converted into standard Code 83 sections and the Fleischmann track is compatible out of the box, either are a better choice IMHO.

wendell

I use kato uitrack it is expinceive but you don't need cork roadbed ,youdon't need to ballast it the switchs already have the switch machines installed, you can change the track design easly, Down side no flextrack and fixed radiuses. But I have never reget useing it. Wendell