Eastern Tn logging on the DG CC & W RR 1928

Bill Nelson

asl  M&NG RPO A.jpg M& N G rpo .jpg more rpo work

I have had more fun with this body shell that came to me courtesy of Tyler's Whiskey River RR.

I'm wondering if I ought to convert that center window into a man sized door.

Next I'll have to check these pieces, and be sure this miter box got good square cuts. it is handy because it is so deep, but the only say I have that deep has coarser teeth than I like, I inherited this miter box from my mom, and it comes in handy every once in a while.

Bill Nelson

Last edited:

Doctor G

I like the screw plunger in the miter box. That is a neat attachment for holding everything tight and square.

Tom:thumb:

Bill Nelson

I like the screw plunger in the miter box. That is a neat attachment for holding everything tight and square.

Tom:thumb:

This was part of the tools Mom had for working on Doll House stuff. the clamp goes up against a lower bar across the bottom of the miterbox for doing thin trim. while it keeps a car body in one position, it stresses it some , which tends to make the fat long razor saw, which has teeth much more suited for wood than plastic. still I can get a decent cut across the car body much faster with this set up. With an hour or two set up, I might be able to do better without it, but If I wait till I have more time I'll never start.

I'm hoping I can find a pair of trucks that will come close to the look the other two cars have.

gbwdude

General Manager, W.R.Ry.
Bill,

Let me check my stash of trucks, I might have a extra pair of ones that are close. If I remember correctly, that old Mantua combine kit of mine had some Bachmann trucks on it that since they were oversized (possibly On30 trucks) that they didn't allow much movement unless I was running 90" radius curves. I know I have one MDC truck that is from their line of Harriman passenger cars but I have eventual plans for that one truck, I might make it into a oddball MOW car.

Tyler

Bill Nelson

leftovers

I combined the windows removed from this current project (the RPO car) with a baggage door, which was removed from either the coach or combine, and put them together. I will narrow them, and this will become a small combine caboose for one of my Hon3 railroads.

I may document the rest of this car's construction in the narrow gauge section under my Hon3 locomotive shops thread, but had to show the start here, to show how pieces left over from a kitbash can inspire another kit bash When will it end????, I hope to never find out.

Bill Nelson

ASL rpo & cbss.jpg I have done some more work on the hon3 caboose that is taking shape out of the leftover pieces of the HO RPO andd combine kitbashes. I found a roof and coupala from an MDC caboose kit, and cut them down to fit the little HON3 caboose that is shaping up.

I have two curved roof pieces leftover from MDC 3 in one maintenance car kits that had three shorty flats, and lots of stuff to add to them. Dr Tom and I used these 3 in one kits as a cheap source of log cars, and ended up with lots of extra pieces. I'm going to splice two of the arch roofs together fro the RPO car, and then use that as a base to built a celestory roof in an attempt to get a shape close to the other two M&NG cars

Last edited:

Bill Nelson

ASL hby cbnt 1.jpg asl hby cbnt #2.jpg replacing my family room hobby cabinet

This last weekend I played musical antique knock down wardrobes. I had one made of poplar that was in my family room, housing modeling tools, projects, and miscellaneous ****. A couple weekends ago we had purchased another knock down wardrobe that was made out of American Chestnut. we had originally set up the new wardrobe in my daughter's old room upstairs, But I realized that the Chestnut was closer to the color of the paneling in the family room, so last weekend I emptied out the wardrobe in the family room, disassembled both cabinets and swapped them out.

The poplar wardrobe had been built originally with shelves on one side, and the other side was open to hold hanging clothes. Someone had altered it though, and added shelves on the open side as well. Up in my daughters room we were able to make a nice setup of some of my daughters large dolls and furniture on the large shelves of the poplar . The Chestnut wardrobe was originally open for hanging clothing , but the previous owner, whose hobby was looking for civil war relics with a metal detector, had outfitted it with glass shelves to show off his collection.. He was retiring, and moving to Orange Beach ALa., had sold most of his collection, and did not have room for the wardrobe in his next home.

The Chestnut wardrobe looks better in my family room, and the glass shelves are a little better set up for my hobby stuff, and I'm hopefully going to get the stuff in there a little better organized. I'd like to have room in there for some project trays, so I could move different project trays on and off my work bench, keeping my workbench more open for business.

Some of my current business is the M& N G RPO car. While sorting through the stuff in the cabinet, I found one truck matching the MDC truck used on the M & N G cars. I had used this truck as a test truck for track work. unfortunately best I can figure this truck was from a project I worked on 40 years ago, and the chances of finding the other matching truck are slim to none. Tyler's Whiskey River Railroad came through though, and provided me with a matching truck, which will help me greatly with this project, which is already complicated by not having a under body casting and roof to work with. but now I have two trucks I can proceed and see what happens

Last edited:

Bill Nelson

ASL M&NG RPO  #5.jpg I have cut a sub floor for the RPO car out of some thick plastic sheet that came with some of the kits I used to kitbash company houses. It was a square of gray plastic with expansion joints cast in on one side so it could be used as sidewalk material. it is of a thickness that it will make a good subfloor/frame, and is just the right thickness to build up the needed steps for the RPO car, although that will be tricky.

I had some arch roofs leftover from the MDC 3 in one kits I used to make cheap log cars out of, and I spliced two of them together to get an arched roof for the RPO car. I may try to build a celestory roof on top of it to get it to more closely resemble the coach and combine

Last edited:

Bill Nelson

ASL ch stps  #5.jpg coach steps

I got the coach steps in, next to work on the frame to get the trucks on and the couplers at the right height., and to do some paintwork on the RPO car to get it to a baby blue. the narrow gauge caboose will be green and black, like the State Line coaches.

Note the snow from massive sanding of white evergreen sheet styrene.

Last edited:

Bill Nelson

ASL A_pntd rpo cr.jpg paint work

I painted the RPO car. I mixed more gray in the paint of the RPO than I did on the coach and combine. I like the more faded look of the RPO better. I have the trucks on, and the coupler height is right, so next I need to see what have for queenposts, or figure out how to best scratch some; and mark the locations using the coach, so the queen posts and truss rods will match the coach and combine.

I'm quite pleased with how the steps came out. I need to do some work on the cast brass end beams with hand rails and brake gear, and then paint them and get them installed ; and I need to get brave and tackle the celestory roof, which will be ****'s own **** to do right, but if It comes out badly, I'll just pass it off as a poor repair job by the car shop crew.

bill

Last edited:
Z

Zathros

When all painted up, the steps really fit the whole trend of the train cars. They look great! :)

Bill Nelson

AAASL-a1 Cabbese.jpg AAASL-a1 comb 1.jpg AAASL-A1comb#2.jpg AAASL-1a  Barge #1.jpg Back to the scene of the crime.

I was up in my Railroad room this afternoon measuring elements of my RR to get a better understanding of weather and how they might fit in a proposed rebuild of my railroad.

Tyler's recent work on cabooses ( se Whiskey River in the HO section), had got me thinking about cabeese in general, and I thought I would do an inventory. I found I only had three on the standard gauge portion of my layout. To put that in perspective, I probably have 18 or more locomotives in service at this time. I think I have more cabeese at the club than I do at home, so it may be time for some of them to migrate back home.

Now I often run mixed trains with a combine , or a few passenger cars in leu of a caboose, but I only have two DG, CC & W combines on the layout .

in anycase here are photo's of my cabeese. one in an ancient Mantua bobber, and both of the others are kitbashed from Manutua 1860 combines, one of which was shortened , I need to find it a copula.
I have thrown in some pictures of my combines two, one is a MDC shorty overton, and the other is a Labelle wooden kit that was shortened to help deal with the tight curves my railroad has.

lastly here is a seaport models barge, which is the first of a fleet of barges I want to do for my home RR and for the club.

Last edited:

Bill Nelson

AAASL-aa1 bargetrafic#1.jpg barge trafic

Tom, I like the looks of the barge, especially now that I painted it with blended spray paint, black and gray . Now it just needs a layer of faded and chipping white paint, to match the steam boat. I is small though, just under half as wide as the steamboat in Harlow. It does, however give me some details of wooden barge construction. I'm thinking, If I go with my RR rebuild, I may need to use the little barge as a guide for scratchbuilding a series of barges for both my home layout, and the barge facilities at the club. the

The paint should be dry enough for it to go on the river. On my railroad rebuild plan, I'm wanting to have a larger riverfront, and a siding along the river so I can load coal into barges, and load logs off barges onto log cars. That, along with the planned interchange log cars from the C&S, via the southern, I could actually have log trains originating in Harlow, as well as having them roll through on their way to Crooked Creek from the mountain.

Last edited:

Doctor G

Neat Photo

That is a really nice picture. The barge looks good painted and what an interesting load it is toting downstream.

Nice to learn about wooden barges that were used on the rivers of the past.

Tom:thumb::mrgreen:

Bill Nelson

AAASL-1A  2  more  cabeese.jpg The wooden barges of the past will be purely speculative on my RR, I have seen pictures of wood barges in use in logging, mainly in the swamps, so I will be extrapolating.

I have some pictures of two cabeese I had at the club. I believe the tan one is a silver streak model I purchased used in the late 60's. it was rough, and I repainted it for my railroad. the other is a recent Walther's kit, with a full interior. It went to the club, as it's turning radius is slightly large for my railroad, and it had problems in places. Most of those places will disappear if I do my rebuild, so It came back home provisionally.

Last edited:

Bill Nelson

AAASL-A  by wndw  bx cr cab #1.jpg ooking through my stuff I found a boxcar caboose project that had been abandoned , due to the bay windows being too wide, causing clearance issues. I hadn't given this abandoned project thought in years, till I saw some of Tyler's bay window cabooses in his Whiskey River Railroad thread. His caboose work got me to thinking my caboose roster was inadequate for the size of my RR. I took a photo of this car before I removed the over size bay windows, I used the union station as a back drop. I hope to build some less extravagant bay windows, and put this ragged piece of ***** into service.

Bill Nelson

Last edited:

gbwdude

General Manager, W.R.Ry.
Bill,

If RedGreen ever made a caboose, that's probably what it'd look like! It is definitely unique for sure, I like it.

Tyler

Bill Nelson

It was inspired by a boxcar caboose they had @ the railroad museum in Atlanta, where some of my friends and I did some volunteer work when I was in high-school. it was made out of an old outside braced boxcar and was so ragged they let some high school kids work on it unsupervised. we cleaned up the inside, and repaired some of the seats, and re tar papered the roof. I have removed the bay windows, and have to try to design some that have a similar look, but don't cause clearance problems.

I wish these trucks were screwed on instead of the cheesy clip on, also I have trouble getting decent wheel sets to fit this style truck and roll freely. It won't look near as good with archbars, but it may end up with some anyway.