Early Gifts

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by Bob Collins, Dec 19, 2001.

1. Bob Collins

Bob Collins Active Member

A friend from church , who also models HO, and I were talking about what else, railroads, when apparently another friend overheard us. The next day he stopped me downtown and gave me two publication that he said he ran across while cleaning the attic and wondered if I wanted them. Otherwise they were headed into the trash (one man's junk is another man's treasure!)

One of the items is a November 1972 Railroad Model Craftsman. The cover is gone, but I have looked through it and I am amazed at how it shows so clearly in looking at it that this hobby has changed a great deal in the almost 30 years since this magazine was published, but at the same time it is still the same. With the exception of the prices on locos and rolling stock you could almost lift the ads out of this magazine and put it in the November 2001 version! The other thing I found interesting about this magazine is that some of the articles look very much like things we see today. An example might be the article on Budd cars.

The other item I can't put a date on and would appreciate some help from others if you have a clue. It is Book 10, Modern Steam Locomotives, of the Kalmbach series, "Train Album of Railroad Photographs" It is a series of black and white photos of maybe twenty steam engines from various roads from a Conemaugh and Black Lick 0-8-0 heavy switcher to the 4-8-8-4 Big Boy. Shows an interesting array of Challengers from various roads. I say interesting because a close look shows that there were maybe a half dozen different driver sizes, running from about 63" to 80" on the UPRR versions.

I tried to scan a picture to put here but the book format is too large for my scanner. Maybe I can figure out a different way to do it later.

2. Dave Flinn

Dave Flinn Member

Please send me a private message off the forum to Dave@starflinn.com as a test. I am having problems trying to send messages to you, and I don't quite know why.

My apologies to others on The Gauge for posting this here, but it seems to be the only way to reach Bob.
  3. shamus

shamus Registered Member

You can also send a private message via USER CP above left, if you cannot send an email.