Eagles Roost

Discussion in 'Robin At His Best' started by Matthyro, Apr 6, 2003.

1. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Like all railroad mogules, my Grandfather wanted a lodge with a view of his railroad. He chose Purgatory Peak in the Rockies for this log structure. He called it Eagles Roost. Today, it serves as a vacation spot for rail fanners and rock climbers.
    Purgatory Peak hides a step in the background of my N gauge MAT
    A closer view with folks enjoying the late afternoon air.
    Rock climbers trying to reach the peak. Cold work.
  2. interurban

interurban Active Member

Where Eagles Dare.

Very nice Robin, have any little people fell yet??:D

Love the Flags.:D :D ;)
  3. jmarksbery

jmarksbery Active Member

Great job dude, love the whole thing, hope those climbers have good insurance plan!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
  4. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

I love it! Are they booked in October? :)
  5. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

That is a great looking Lodge. Where did you get the logs and if you made them, how?
  6. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Another great model, & a great scene!
    Really fine work, Robin!
    :cool: :cool: :cool:
  7. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Outstanding, but fess up Robin! How did you make flat cereal box cardboard look like round logs? :confused:
  8. Matthyro

OK OK I fess.:D
    The logs are 1/8th dowelling. Had to do a lot of filing to get the log corners to fit.
  9. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Boy that IS a lot of filing! :eek: What did you use for caulking or chinking?
  10. satokuma

satokuma Member

Gives the look of a good "Lincoln Log" structure, very well put together...lots of detail. Guess it is in the HO scale?
  11. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Thats terrific Robin, reminds me of the Film "Where Eagles Dare" and the Castle of Eagles. Great work
  12. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Looks fantastic Robin!!!!! The logs, the dormer windows - really nice work.
    Just wondering though, where's the helipad?

;) Val
  13. wendell

wendell Member

It's a good thing that it has a very strong porch railing or it would be one giant leap man !:eek:
  14. RailRon

RailRon Active Member

Robin, one more fine model with built-in WOW!-effect! :cool:

There's on problem, though: Since I am a lousy mountain-climber, how could I get up into that fine lodge? :(
    I would prefer to RIDE UP in an elevator! Now couldn't you install a contraption for heavyweight railfans - a sort of a basket which is raised and lowered on a (hopefully strong enough) rope. So all these railfans could leave the train at a small platform along the tracks and then soar up to Eagles Roost. :D

15. Matthyro

Tyson, the logs fit very close together and when painted, the acrylic paint acts as the chinking.
    Val, no helipad but when building models one can take licence to say there is a very curvy road around the back that leads up to the lodge. So Ron you can ride up in comfort with no risk.
    satokuma, this is N gauge.
    Now I must admit that the logs are supported by cardboard reinforcement. The Shingles are cardboard as is the hand rail along the front. Something I forgot is a large chimney which I will add.
    Thanks to everyone for your kind comments. It just makes me want to do more.
  16. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

Robin models in "N" scale only.
  17. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Nice!!! All you need is a Hang Glider "Ready to jump off" into the blue yonder!! :D :D :D :D

Also make sure the LPPs don't do their climbing directly over the lodge. I hate it when they fall right through the roof...... :)