eager beaver

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by -Jim G, Jul 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Jim G

-Jim G Member

Now that Fiddlersgreen has published the DHC-2 Beaver model, it is time for me to come out of the woodwork.

I have been building mostly Fiddlersgreen models for the past 5 years. I got to modifying them and repainting them to represent planes of various veterans that I knew.

At the end of November 2005 I was diagnosed with Acute Myelogenous Leukemia and I found myself in the hospital for long stays. During this time I designed a DHC-2 Beaver model. It looks now as if my treatments were successful.

I sent the model to Chip at Fiddlersgreen and now after he has 'fiddled' with the model, he has published it.

-Jim G
  2. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Hey Jim!

What y'all don't know is that amount of work this guy put into this model.

Chip put his FG touch on it, and personally I liked the original better. Hopefully Jim will be able to release his original one day SOON!

The FG Beaver is OK, so go have a look. But remember...... it has been changed from the original design.

3. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Sorry to here about the AML. Glad you decided to join us. Last August I was diagnosed with Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia to go along with an already bad heart and a few other minror problems. I will add the Beaver to my collection. Again Welcome to the list.
  4. Texman

Texman Guest

Unfortunately, the beaver files are unavailable (even to the mk subscribers.)
    I don't think Chip/Nick has everything connected for this new model yet, so
    before some of ya'll start complaining, just be patient.

5. michik

michik Member

actually, the model really is available, but it's ab it tricky to get there. You have to go to 'my models' and search for 'Beaver' there. Then you get a link that works. It's true, both links on the 'my fiddlersgreen' start page (the one to the folder as well as the one to the zip-file) are faulty.

I encountered some troble with the database, therefore the triple reply. Could a moderator please remove the superfluous posts?

6. -Jim G

-Jim G Member

I hope they got that under control. Are you getting drug therapy, or do you get chemo? I know they treat that way different than what I got. I'm pulling for you.

We Leuks gotta stick together.
    -Jim G
  7. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

I am on Gleevec. I will find out Wednesday July 12. This will be my second PCR test for the mutated gene. If it comes out good then all is well. If not then we will have to do the Chemo and BMT. I was the lucky one. They found mine before the blast phase. White count was at 600,000 and climbing. But thank god for the Paper models. Helps you get through a lot. The group here will help also.
  8. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Jim and Dave,

I am pulling for both of you guys!

Hang in there! Better days are certainly on the way!

Great Beaver Jim!
    Do you have any plans to create more models?

9. -Jim G

-Jim G Member

leuks and beavers

When I was diagnosed in November my white count was 600 and dropping. (normal is 4,000-11,000) My marrow was crawling with blasts. I had an autologous stem cell transplant in March and for a few weeks my white count was zero.

Waiting for the results of tests is really hard. The mind can play a lot of games with otherwise insignificant 'symptoms'. Let me extend my empathy to you while you are awaitng your results.

On the way out of the door to get the results for my latest biopsy, I over heard my kids calling to each other: My 16yo daughter yelled, "Where's Mom and Dad going?!" My 14yo son yelled back, "They're going to the doctor to see if Dad is going to live or die this year!"

He had it exactly right - the Doc was giving me 50% odds - but the biopsy came back clean.

I designed the Beaver during my long hospital stays. I finally designed the floats when I was doing the transplant.

I am continuing to dabble in designing new models, but they will be slow in coming as long as I stay out of the hospital :wink:

Chip changed my beaver enough that the 20 or so versions that my friends have created would be very hard to change into the FG format. I am exploring other venues to publish these versions in the original format (1/48th scale, two sheets of airplane and one sheet for floats and accessories).
  10. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

"I am exploring other venues to publish these versions in the original format"

That would be fantastic Jim, especially after the comments made by John )(Bowdenja).

I am looking forward to even having a look.

All my best to you and yours,

11. 46rob

46rob Member

I'm working at getting something going with the national Museum of Naval Aviation with my models....I know they'd love to include the Navy Test Pilot School version, that John did.
  12. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Welcome Jim G!
    I'm late, as usual!

I complained because I had no shoes until I met a Man who had no feet!
    I applaud the Courage you Gentlemen have in dealing with this major Life issue. I, like many others, am hoping for the best outcome.

Don't forget to post some pics of your work!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.