E-Pass Pass Exchange

Discussion in 'ID Badges, E-passes and Faces Behind The Names' started by Roger Hensley, Jun 16, 2002.

1. Roger Hensley

Roger Hensley Member

e-Passes (electronic or virtual rail passes)

e-Passes (electronic or virtual rail passes)

In days gone by, when the passenger train was the way to travel, the railroads issued passes allowing people to ride free. They were issued to certain employees and their families and to some politicians and officials who may have been able to do the railroad a favor. Having a pass was a real asset.

Passes varied from railroad to railroad as did the restrictions and limitations as to division or trains to be taken that were printed on them. They were designed to fit easily into a billfold or wallet with the name of the railroad and authorizing agent and the word Pass.

As the hobby of Model railroading grew, many model railroaders created a pass for their railroad. Some were very inventive and humorous in the restrictions and/or rules being printed on both sides and even folded allowing 4 sides. The NMRA created a Pass Exchange for its members with a number of the 'better' ones being printed in the NMRA Bulletin. Today, there are pass contests at many conventions with first, second and third place winners.

I told you that to tell you this. Not to be outdone, model railroaders on the Internet have created an Electronic Pass or e-Pass to exchange with other modelers. As an example, most of the e-Passes are about 550x350 pixels in size and come in jpg and gif formats. They are as varied as the person (and railroad) that designed them. You can see examples of the ones that I have received on my East Central Indiana web site at http://cid.railfan.net/eci_new.html or directly at: http://cid.railfan.net/passlis1.html

It is likely that a number of people on this forum have a e-Pass available. In any event, I invite you to join in the enjoyment of this part of the hobby.

Roger Hensley - madisonrails@railfan.net
    == http://cid.railfan.net/eci_new.html ==
    == East Central Indiana HO Scale Railroad ==
  2. upguy

upguy Oregon Western Lines, CEO

I have developed an e-pass that I will make available to anyone interested. Just send an email with your request, and I will get one to you (eventually).
  3. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

While I don't have a web site or e-passes at this time it is something to consider in the future. I agree that it is one more way to enjoy this wonderful hobby of ours! :cool: I took the tour of your layout, your website and the layout are both very nice, you might want to consider sharing some of the pictures here with the other members. I was wondering if you are a fan of the Florida East Coast Railroad as your ECI logo is a dead ringer for it.
  4. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hi Roger,

Nice to see the e-passes around again, I used to have a page full of them. Now I haven't any room on my website for even one.

Here's mine.

Attached Files:

5. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

E- Pass

Here is mine.... If anyone wants one personalized e-mail me.. :D

Attached Files:

6. Xaniel

Xaniel Member

Same here. Anyone interested, please send me one email asking for one. I'll tru to send you as soon as i can.

Attached Files:

7. Roger Hensley

Roger Hensley Member

If you want one of mine, e-mail me your name, e-mail, city/state/country and I'll get one out to you. I have a number of people who have requested passes that don't (or didn't) have one.

FEC? No, but my railroad decided that it wanted circling arrows as a logo and the FEC logo fit the bill nicely with a little modification.
  8. Tyson Rayles

Thanks Roger, as soon as I get a color printer I'll take you up on that. :)
  9. Catt

Catt Guest

E-passes again

The Grande Valley also has an e-pass.

If you would like to exchange passes or would just like to have one send me the same info Rodger asked for.
  10. Tyson Rayles

Well I finally got around to making a e-pass. Because you cannot attache files to e-mails sent thru the forum if you want one please e-mail me at mtg6147@juno.com with the name you want on it. If you have one of your own you can send me it would be appreciated, but not required. Thanks

Attached Files:

11. I also have an "e-pass" available. You may reach me at michael21@earthlink.net. I will send the pass as a Photoshop jpg file unless you would rather have it as a gif or pdf (pdf requires Acrobat Reader 4.0 or higher)

Attached Files:

12. Roger Hensley

Roger Hensley Member

Tyson, Juno bounced your mail...
    Hi. This is the qmail-send program at m13.jersey.juno.com.
    I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
    This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<mtg6247@juno.com>: does not like recipient.
    Remote host said: 550 mtg6247@juno.com is not a valid user

In any event, here is a small copy of my e-Pass.

Drop me a line with your name, city/state/country, RR name, URL and e-mail addy and I'll get one out to you whether you have one to exchange or not. I keep records of where I send the passes just like the radio Ham. That's why I like to know where you are. :)
  13. Tyson Rayles

Roger I'm sorry I had a typo in my e-mail address and I just corrected it. Please try again, it should work now. Thanks
  14. alkcnw

alkcnw Member

Hey guys, just to let you know those passes all look great! I think what you are doing is a really nice idea.:eek:
  15. Vic

Vic Active Member

The Robber Barron don't give out a lot of free rides so if you would like one with your name on it send me an e-mail at k4vic@juno.com

Attached Files:

16. alkcnw

alkcnw Member

Hey Vic, I'm going to take you up on that at a latter date. My printer is out of ink and I can't afford to buy a new cartrige at this time!:eek:
  17. Vic

Vic Active Member

Tyson Started Something

Since Tyson inspired me to throw together an e-pass I've been getting requests for a pass from all over the world.:) :) :D :D :D

The most far away place so far has been The Sultrate of Oman:eek: :D :D

Thanks Tyson!!!:D :D :D ....Just what I needed....another hobby!!!!:D :D :D :p

Seriously though, I'm really enjoying it:) :) and with each pass that I send out I'm also sending an invitation to join The Gauge.:) Thought that it might be a good idea if every one here did that too if you send a pass to a non-member.
  18. Partsman

Partsman Member

Those are wonderful designs, fellas. Good job !

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Great idea, Vic, inviting each recipient of your passes to join The Gauge.
  19. Tyson Rayles

Funny you should mention Oman. I just exchanged passes with a gentleman of Arabic descent in the Phillipines!
  20. Vic

Vic Active Member

Hi Tyson, I belive that's the same one....he works in Oman and gets back to the Phillipines every 6-8 months.