E Bay Fraud

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by Amazyah, Mar 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I was just checking out paper models on E Bay when I ran into a Model of the Yahmaha YZR M1 with the bidding starting at $9 plus shipping and handling.
    The seller says he also has other models available, just contact him.
    I contacted E-bay is what I did!:mad:
    He was even using the picture from Yamaha's site!
    A while back some joker did the same thing with Metmanias Helmets and now no one can enjoy them either because their locked down.
    A word of advice to anyone who wants to do something like that on E-Bay again...I'm watching every day for good deals on models...
    and if I see ya... nobody else will see you on E-Bay anymore!

Sorry folks, I just had to get that off my chest...my blood pressure is still up there.:mad:

People like this joker ruin it for the rest of us. I really loved those helmets and thought they would look really cool next to my models.
    I never did get any of them because they were shut down when I discovered them, due to copyright infringement. %@#*%&%^@#%%#$%&.

Well, I feel a little better now that I vented.
    At least I got copies of all the motorcycles before they dissapear too!:cry:
  2. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Yamaha Japan

I just got back from the Yamaha Japan Site, where I reported the infringement to them also.
    Time to sit back and watch what happens now.
    Hopefully, we won't lose our downloads of some really nice motorcycle builds!

OK, back to the cutting mat.:)
    Good day All!
  3. Kaz

Kaz Member

The truly bizzare thing is, Ebay wont do anything until the copyright holder complains.
  4. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

That's a crying shame. I hope nobody spends their hard earned money on these plans, not knowing that they are actually free.

The strange thing is that his ebay rating is near 100% with lots of good comments.
    Maybe someone sold these plans to him and he doesn't know that they are available to everyone, free of charge.
    Makes you wonder???? Could he be the one who got ripped off????
    Maybe, I jumped to conclusions too fast and should investiigate further.

I shouldn't be so quick to judge.
    I was up all night with sciatic nerve pain and I am still hurting after only two hours sleep.
    I am easy to aggravate when in this condition, but I still shouldn't jump to conclusions. My bad.

I think I will send him an e-mail and ask him if he is aware of the copyright infringement. It couldn't hurt.
  5. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Oh well...

I emailed the guy and politely informed him that he is breaking a copyright law.
    His answer..."mind your own business.
    That's about all I can do from this point on, anyway.
    Oh well. :sad:
  6. 46rob

46rob Member

Looking at the other goods he's selling, he's probably using an awful lot of trademarked images without consent. He seems to specialize in bogus money with cartoon characters, and mousepads....both of which can easily be made at home. Most designers watch ebay, to catch illegal copies of their work from selling on ebay. I check it at lest weekly. When ebay is notified of copyright violations, they do take immediate action.....but, it has to be done by the copyright holder. No one else really knows for sure whether or not permission to use the copyrighted material has been granted or not. When you sign on as a seller on Ebay, you agree to a certain set of guidlines, and reproduction of copyrighted material is one of them. It's a quick way to get your seller's privelges permanently revoked. Sooner or later, some animation studio's lawyers will take noteice, and then ..........
    Meantime, all it does is hurt legitimate license holders of the images. Some outfits, like Fiddler's Green, will sell you a license to sell PRINTED copies of their models...at least it used to be offered..
  7. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

I see it too... I sent him a short tirade about his money making scheme.
  8. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

If you look in the fine print in the middle of his shipping explanations, and I mean look for the tiniest print on the page.
    It says, These models are available for free download from Yamaha. I am only charging you for time and material to print and package. So there is no copyright infringement.
    What a farce! The whole page tells you he is selling this paper model and he has more available. That tiny line is hidden very well.
    I believe it is still a copyright violation because it is the image that is copyrighted.
    If he was selling a few sheets of card stock for $9 plus shipping, no one would buy it!

At the very least, he is unethical and I will not buy from him even if it was a good deal.

Hey Steve, I bet you get a nasty reply! This guy is not polite either!
  9. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Yeah ... enough of them from him and he gets attention from ebay.
  10. Alejandr0

Alejandr0 New Member

You think that's bad now imagine a guy offering 4 gigs worth of paper models for about 8 bucks both free and comercial... Now that's upseting. And worst of all, doing it so openly on the spanish brother of Ebay "merdaco libre" if you don't believe me look here.....

I have already brougth it to the portals attention, but as some of you pointed out it must be done by the legal holder of the copy rigth material... So if anyone has any contact or knows any of the autors whose works are pictured there, and are willing to let them know, and if they are willing to do something about their copyright. try and put a stop to this.

It's sad that it has become too easy to break the law so openly, in everybody's view and not being able to do something about it.
  11. Gil

Gil Active Member

I had an evil but satisfying thought..., put together a portfolio of really avant garde looking models and offer them for free. In small print it will say "the author retains all Copyrights and Distribution Rights. The author makes no express guarantees nor warantees the model".

The models are disguised but will absolutely not fit together no matter what you do. When the models turn up on Ebay we can complain that our Copyrights have been violated and that they need to cease and desist. If done so that the models are spread about it will get tapped by most of them. That's when the complaints go out.

Thinking about a Sting...,

12. Kaz

Kaz Member

I emailed the guy, his response was to tell me to p*** off, so I reported his threatening behaviour to Ebay! Also if you look at the page, he has edited it several times, I wouldnt mind betting they were edited after he got a response from us, or indeed Yamaha

Took another look

The seller ended this listing early because of an error in the listing.

Paper modellers 1, Shifty, dodgy dealer 0.
  13. TheWebdude

TheWebdude Just a Member

Occasionally the good guys DO win.
  14. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I went to the Spanish Ebay site that Alejandr0 mentioned and checked on that crook. The CD he is selling is $80 not $8 and all the pics of models are blatant copies taken right off of peoples web pages. Also I know all those models are web freebies as I have seen almost every freebie out there.
    I am disabled and spend an awful lot of time at my computer surfing for free models and good deals.
    I believe this is a war we cannot win, but I am sure we can take em down one at a time as they spring up! There will always be people out there trying to make a quick buck, selling something that doesn't belong to them.

Gil, your evil thought is quite interesting. Only problem is that innocent people would get ripped off. It certainly is something to think about though.

I think E-Bay needs to remind it's users more often, that selling copyright materials will lead to having your selling rights revoked.
    Youv'e got to hit them where it hurts most, the wallet! Although I prefer the groin, that's not possible.:-D
  15. TheWebdude

TheWebdude Just a Member

There are some very "grey" areas when it comes to eBay:
    Selling printed models from free downloaded patterns.
    Selling assembled models.
    What is not grey or uncertain is selling downloaded patterns.
    While it is true that only the copyright holder can register an infringement complaint, these downloaded patterns are electronic media and fall under eBay's policies and guidelines for electronic media.
    Any eBay member can report unauthorized copies of electronic media at this web page:

Point them to the author's website(s). Hopefully the author's have a no commercial use statement somewhere visible. (That's a hint to you designers out there):twisted:
  16. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I just recieved an e-mail from Yamaha Corp.
    They thanked me for letting them know about the copyright infringement happening on E-Bay.
    They didn't say what they were doing about it of course, but it was nice to hear from them. Below is a copy of the e-mail.

Dear Mr. Webb,

Thank you for taking the time contacting Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd. via the Internet.
    We value our customers worldwide and are always interested in hearing from them.

In response to your inquiry of March 22, 2006, we would like to thank you for letting us and E-bay know the infringement of our copyrights.

Thank you again for your kindness and we hope you will continue to patronize our website.

Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd.
  17. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Thanks for the web addrress WebDude! (Rick)
    Also, just in case you havn't seen my post earlier, thanks for letting me know about Shay-pan.
    I bought 5 of his models, great prices!
  18. TheWebdude

TheWebdude Just a Member

No problem! Shay's a member here now. You should be able to PM him a thank you. It took some digging to find that eBay link but it "is" something you can do if you're not a copyright holder and/or don't want to try to deal with the offender directly. eBay actually takes those unauthorized copy complaints very seriously so please be very certain before you use it.
  19. Gil

Gil Active Member

Second evil but satisfying thought for the day. Figure out where the violator is putting his stuff and put up a similar item for sale except it has zero values and minimum bids but is instead a list of sites to go to for free models. Probably wouldn't help a lot but would yield some satifaction in preventing the sucking sound of another innocent being hoovered up!

20. Gil

Gil Active Member

Second evil but satisfying thought for the day. Figure out where the violator is putting his stuff and put up a similar item for sale except it has zero values and minimum bids but is instead a list of sites to go to for free models. Probably wouldn't help a lot but would yield some satifaction in preventing the sucking sound of another innocent being hoovered up!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.