Dyed Batting

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
Has anyone ever tried dying batting (ya know, that fluffy stuff that you stuff pillows with)? I was thinking that I could probably buy a big bag of this stuff and dye it with green and black fabric dye. Seems it might be cheaper than buying lots of the WS stuff...

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Rory,
Yes I use it myself, get a "Cold water dye" Forrest green and away you go. You will have to dye it twice for it to take.

Shamus

Matt Probst

Mar 15, 2002
Hershey,Pa.
Visit site
If you've ever seen Tony Koester's Midland Road in MR, I believe that is what he makes his forests out of. I've seen a "how to" article before on that and once it's dyed and dried, roll it into balls, dip in diluted matte medium and sprinkle on various shades of ground foam. Haven'yt tried the method yet, but will in the future.

Matt-Hershey, Pa.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi Rory, A friend of mine and I used that on his layout where he needed a forest full of trees sorta in the background. We used toothpicks and skewers to support the batting, colored and textured them just like the others have said and they looked just great! Sorry I don't have a pic. We used Elmer's spray glue to attached WS grass to the batting for some additional texture.

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
Well, I went to Walmart today (yes, on Labor Day) and bought a bag of batting and some Rit Dye (dark green). I put it all in a bucket...and now I have BLUE batting. ???? The bottle plainly says "Dark Green," but I swear that it is BLUE! I got a little on my fingers, and it's definitely blue.

Ya know, at first I wasn't sure what color it would turn out to be. I thought, "Well, it really looks black...but I'm sure it'll turn out green in the end." I was right, except for the "green" part! :)

I'll give it another shot some other day!

On an unrelated note, I bought some of those long matches to light the grill with. They'll make excellent building timbers...