Duratrax Evader

Discussion in 'RC Offroad Forum' started by Johndeer, Jan 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bandit1

bandit1 Member

Hahaha, very true! tell ur cousin good luck for me too.
  2. Roostertailking

Roostertailking New Member

Why do they make off road electric buggies if sand is not good for the motor at all? My cousin is probly just going to buy the Modified Stinger that came stock for like 17.00 bucks
  3. tfhughes_28

tfhughes_28 Member

They are made for dirt, not sand. Alot of guys do run in the sand though, and they even make "sand tires" for the trucks and buggys. I guess it is just a personal preference thing...i don't like ruining motors myself.

Tell him to get a real motor...not the stinker. He will be much happier.
  4. timrock

timrock Active Member

a Stinker Motor.lmao.good one.
    those Stinger motors are crap.you cant change the brushess.once the brushes wear down the motor is garbage.plus they have no bearings and no adjustible timing.its a 20turn,`throw away`stock motor.
  5. timrock

timrock Active Member

tfHughes,i posted the link for that speed control that handles 10 cells 12t.its a good one for the price.
    you said 10 cells 12turn would be cool...insane...but cool.
    when i take my car out i run at least 9-10 cells 14turn.people see it and some say HOLY SHAAhit.but if you think that is insane.ive ran 16cells 12turn 6wire motor(12x6)and hit speeds of well over 100MPH.i design my own mechanical motor/speed controls that have no motor or cell limit.
  6. rockn82

rockn82 Marx Brother

7. timrock

timrock Active Member

rockn82,whats up?you are a very strange forum poster.
  8. Johndeer

Johndeer New Member

What are some signs that the ESC is going bad?

I'm still having problems with my sons electric motor. I cleaned the motor and put in new brushes and the com is clean. THe motor runs fine until I put a load on it. Meaning that when the motor is not attached to the drive tran it works fine but as soon as I put in the car and try and run it the motor starts acting up again. It will running for a few seconds and then stop.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your input
  9. tfhughes_28

tfhughes_28 Member

what motor are you using and what esc as well?
  10. timrock

timrock Active Member

first thing i would do is try a new motor.it could be the springs that tension the brushes in the shunt to the com.but if that is the motor that came with the kit,i would invest in a new motor and see if the problem still exists.
    i can post a link for you of a good motor if you tell me if you want the truck any faster or the same and just running good.
    there are much better motors avalible that are inexpensive.
  11. Johndeer

Johndeer New Member

I took your suggestion and purchased the Trinity D5 12 turn motor last night, and with that I bought the new ESC that you suggested. The motor Im having problems is the "EPIC" motor I bought. I'm going to take it back to the hobby shop and have them look at it.

So the problems I listed on the previouse message doesnt sound like a ESC problem, but a motor problem?
  12. timrock

timrock Active Member

i think it is the motor.not sure though.to tell if it is the motor,try a new motor that the speed control can handle.dont think the old/stock speed control can handle it.it can`t handle the your new D5 12turn.i dout it.

try a new motor with the old speed control.if the problem still exists,that would indicate that it is most likely the speed control.then you would know for sure if you should return the EPIC motor to the hobby shop or not.

i would also suggest you have them hook up your new motor and speed control too, with the connectors i suggested in the prior posts.those connectors are called Sermos.they also make a plug called Deans.they are also good for running such a fast setup/motor such as your new D5 12turn.
  13. timrock

timrock Active Member

that D5 12turn will draw alot of amperage from the battery and discharge it faster than the stock motor which,inturn,will make the truck,tremendously,faster.so you need connectors with less resistance to carry the current.
  14. Johndeer

Johndeer New Member

I did order those connectors you suggested. Question.. do I put the conectors on all my batts and or do I put the connectors between the motor and the ESC or all of the above?

You have been a great help.. The hobby shop in my town have been telling me that there isnt much a person can do to upgrade the duratrax, but I knew there had to be someone out there that could tell me otherwise.. Thanks again for your time and information.
  15. tfhughes_28

tfhughes_28 Member

put them on the batt's, esc and motor if you have enough of them. I run a 13x2 and was using the tamiya connectors......they melted together. I now only use Sermos.
  16. timrock

timrock Active Member

that guy in the hobby shop is a JERK for telling you that there isnt much you can do to upgrade your truck from stock form.the sky is the limit with modifing your truck.

and like tfhughes says,put them on all your batteries and speed control.also you need them on your charger.you can use aligator clips on the charger.thats what i use because i ran out of Sermos connectors but it works for me.

also,you dont need them between the motor and the speed control.i just solder the wires to the motor.but if you plan on switching motors all the time then put them on the motors and the speed control wires that go to the motor.

but definitly put them on the battery part of the speed control and all the batteries.
  17. timrock

timrock Active Member

also,i take back my suggestion of having your hobby shop guys hook it up after hearing what they told you about your truck.do it yourself.it amazes me how missleading people can be.
  18. Johndeer

Johndeer New Member

Well I order all the parts you suggested but it takes about a week to get the items from Tower Hobbie.

If I go direct to the motor from the ESC isnt hard to work on the motor or am I misunderstanding what you are saying..

I think I have bought enough connectors to do everything but if going direct to the motor is better thats what I want to do.

And if the drain on the batt. is more with the 12 turn motor does it stand to reason that Im going to go through brushes faster also? Is there brushes out there that work better thatn others or are they all the same?

Thanks again
  19. Johndeer

Johndeer New Member

Another question...

The brush springs..

The springs have different tention. Which tention goes to the positive side?

Why are there different tention on the springs?
  20. timrock

timrock Active Member

if you want to change motors frquently(say,going back and forth from the stock motor to mod and back to the stock motor ect.)then put plugs on the motor.this way you dont have to solder the wires every time you change the motor.but if you want to keep the motor in it then just solder them to the motor.

as far as brushes,you are only runing 6 cells so they will last a pretty long time.
    springs are equal tension on both sides.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.