Duratrax Evader

Discussion in 'RC Offroad Forum' started by Johndeer, Jan 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johndeer

Johndeer New Member

I have purchased 2 Duratrax Evaders (Electric)for my son and I. I have some question for you:

1. first what do you think of this RC car. Keeping in mind they are just for use on our property.

2. I have been having a hard time keeping the brushes on the motor working. The brushes keep sticking which causes the motor to stop working. Is there some kind of lub that I can put on the brushes?

3. Is there a better transmission?

4. Is there ways to increase the speed, power?

5. Any other tricks about electric motors that would help keep the cars running better?

Thanks for your time and suggestins.
  2. bandit1

bandit1 Member

hey i have an Evader. it was my first "real rc", and for being my first its a good truck. The problem with ur brushes sticking, i would say put some (i think its called) comm. lathe on the comm. i may be wrong with that name. As for a better trans. i dont think u could replace it for a bteter one but buying new bearings is always a good idea. Right now im running a 13 Turn Monsters of Touring Motor and a Duratrax 12 turn limit Streak ESC. Hope i could help out.
  3. tfhughes_28

tfhughes_28 Member

Hey
    I also bought an Evader for my son.

1) I think this truck is awesome for the price.

2) Check the springs that push the brushes, they my be getting weak. Also use electric motor cleaner on them...should help.

3) I don't think there is a better tranny, as Bandit said....get bearings if they aren't already installed.

4)To increase power/speed...buy a new motor (you may also need a new esc if you do this). The set-up Bandit has mentioned is great...but 1 13 turn may be a bit much for your son if he is young.

5) Use motor cleaner (electric) after each run and replace your brushes when needed.

Hope this helped.
  4. bandit1

bandit1 Member

very true tfhughes! 13 turns are fun but a bit much for "younger" ones.
  5. Johndeer

Johndeer New Member

In reference to your comments about bearings for the trany, this leads me to beleive that they dont come with bearings from the factor? Is there a specfic place I can order these bearings or should my local Hobby shop carry them?

When you talk about the motors and say "13 turn" what are you refering to? is that the mount of teeth on the motor gear, or what. I did buy a new motor for my truck it's a "EPIC Binary 2 Stock" and has a 20 tooth gear on it.

Whats a good brand for the esc and does anyone have a good place to buy it?

Thanks so much for your input I need all the help I can get.
  6. bandit1

bandit1 Member

For the Turn explination, i leave up to timrock, jus because it seemd anything i say about turns is wrong! but, yes the tranny coms with bearings, but since u asked if there was a better tranny, and there isnt one, we refered u to buy better bearings. for a place to check them out, go to towerhobbies.com. hope that made sence to u!
  7. tfhughes_28

tfhughes_28 Member

motors:

13 turns means that the wire is wrapped around the armature 13 times. A 13 turn will give you wicked take off and wicked speed but short run times (drains the batt quicker)

13x1 means that there is 1 wire wrapped around the armature 13 times

13x2 means that there is 2 wires wraped around the armature 13 times

13x3 means...well you get the picture right?

the lower the turns on the motor (13) the faster you go, but the less time you get out of a battery.

The higher the turns (27) the slower you go but you get longer run times. it all depends what you are looking for. I too run a 13 turn motor in my electric truck

My son however has a stock 27 turn in his evader (he is 8yrs old)

Also when you goto a lower turn motor you may have to drop a few teeth on the pinion or the motor will heat up on you.

Hope this helped and didn't confuse you more...lol
  8. tfhughes_28

tfhughes_28 Member

oh ya i have a intellispeed 8t esc with reverse...i think it is awesome for the price.
  9. timrock

timrock Active Member

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...XWC37&L=ASCM8410&S1=SPEED&S2=CONTROLS&S3=&S4=
    here is a web page from TowerHobbies with an asortment of speed controls.
    if you dont care for reverse,the Streak is a good buy.low cost and you can use a 12turn motor,wich is a very fast motor.twice as fast as the EPIC stock one you bought.plus you can run up to 10 cells with the 12t.thats enough power to propell your car/truck to 60+MPH
  10. Johndeer

Johndeer New Member

Thanks so much for the info you have answered some question, however gave me some new ones so here sre some more.

1. What is a good motor to buy? I would like to try the 12 turn.

2. What size gear should I go to so that the motor doesnt over heat.

3. When you say "plus you can run up to 10 cells" are you talking about the size of the batt. ? If I upgrade the ESC and if you are talking about the batt. size do I need to upgrade anything else to handle the up size in the batt strangth?

I sure appricate all the info.

Thanks again
  11. timrock

timrock Active Member

6 cells are what your battery packs are that you use now.more cells ran in series the way the 6 cells are,means more power.
    they make alot of nice 12 turn motors here is one of the best ones.
    http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDCY1&P=7
    if you put this motor in your truck,you wouldnt want to go any faster for a long time.it will be dramaticaly faster than it is with your EPIC stock motor.
    the only other upgrade i would recomend would be these low resistance plugs
    http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXD176&P=7
    put them on all your batteries and speed control.you can also put them on the motor but i always solder the wires directly to the motor on my cars.
    here is the link for the Streak speed control.
    http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXD523&P=7
    also,the stock gears should be fine but if you want to be safe,go with a smaller pinion gear.
  12. timrock

timrock Active Member

you dont need any other upgrades to use that motor with 10 cells but runing the 6 cell packs will be plenty fast.eventualy if you want to go faster you can if you get that speed control and add more cells but the truck would be so fast with that motor that it would be to fast with 10 cells for somone with minimal driving experience.
  13. tfhughes_28

tfhughes_28 Member

for motors anything made by Trinity or Team Orion is a good choice. I think the stock evader pinion is 20 tooth...i think. If you where to go with a 12t motor..i'd say you should go with a......what do ya think Timrock??? try an 18 tooth and see what happens? I just keep trying different ones until i find one that gives me good speed and doesn't heat stuff up. As far as running 10 cells...it would be a great idea...if you wanna smash your truck. Plus you would need an esc that can handle 10 cells or it will fry.

The stock Evader st out of the box goes around 20mph i think. If you were to put a 12t motor in it and run 10 cells....well that would be insane...cool...but insane. But that is just my opinion.
  14. bandit1

bandit1 Member

keep in mind tires! with the new 13T in my evader iv had to buy nore tires form all of the kick#@$%take offs! oh, i have Gladiator 2's on it, but other good ones are the Dirt Hawgs. Just keep it in mind.
  15. tfhughes_28

tfhughes_28 Member

Good point!! I run dirt Hawgs as does my son on the Evader. We are big fans of the dirt hawg. we have them on all the off roads (Rusty, Evader, NMT, T3, Yokomo mr-4mt...etc.) I find they have decent traction in dirt, very good traction on pavement and they last forever.
  16. Roostertailking

Roostertailking New Member

Ok my cousin has a Traxxas Bandit and the other day he was out bashing it jumping of my skateboard ramp then we went to a little track with alot of sand and a few jumps. Well he drove it down a hill there and hit a root in the groud the car did a few flips then the motor stoped working. We dont know whats wrong with it can anyone help me? Thanks
  17. tfhughes_28

tfhughes_28 Member

check all the wires and all the connections. Pull the brushes out to see if there is sand/dirt in there preventing the brush from making contact. When the brushes are pulled out give the endbell a good spraying with motor cleaner (electric).

If you are using the orininal 20t Stinger...spay the motor with the cleaner as best you can...if that doesn't work, chuck it and get another motor.
  18. bandit1

bandit1 Member

Also try and keep it outta the sand!! sand can damage a motor very easily and i wouldnt be surprised if ur gonna be buying a new motor.
  19. Roostertailking

Roostertailking New Member

Thanks everyone I will tell my cousin to check the brushes and such also his dad has the same car and his motro started to smoke I think he blew his up!
  20. tfhughes_28

tfhughes_28 Member

Electric motors and sand do not mix at all. I believe Bandit is right....looks like a new motor is the works for your cousin. As far as the smokin motor....lol, that's not good either. Maybe 2 motors are in order?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.