Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge

paulherman

Jan 28, 2005
Here are a couple of pictures I took on our excursion on the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad.

Attachments

• train1.jpg
    train1.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Train2.jpg
    Train2.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 74

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
One train that I've been wanting to go on is the Durango and Silverton. It's about an eight-hour drive from here. All I've seen is the few pictures on their web site. Thanks for posting yours. If you have more, we'd all be interested in seeing them.

For those that don't know, it starts off in Durango, CO and runs to the mining town of Silverton. I think you can spend the night in Silverton and either take the train or a bus back to Durango. It is suppose to be the best in the west...

paulherman

Jan 28, 2005
The Durango & Silverton is a narrow gauge railroad in continuous operation since 1887. It makes three daily tourist excursions from Durango, Colorado (elevation 6512) to Silverton, Colorado (elevation 9288). They have at least 4 steam locomotives. The round trip is 45 miles each way, and takes 3-1/2 hours each way with a 2 hour layover in Silverton. The route winds along the Animas River through the mountains and crosses at least one high trestle. You can find out all about it at their website at http://www.durangotrain.com.

The pictures below show:
(1) The turntable at the Durango station.
(2) An engine in the roundhouse.
(3) The Durango depot.
(4) Climbing the mountain along a cliff (you can tell we were sitting near the back of the train).
(5) Taking on water (there were two water stops each way).

Attachments

• train1.jpg
    train1.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 76
  • train2.jpg
    train2.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 85
  • train3.jpg
    train3.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 85
  • train4.jpg
    train4.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 81
  • train6.jpg
    train6.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 68

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Wow, I love those passenger cars. Are they authentic? We recently took the Verde Canyon RR trip here in Arizona and they used restored 1930-40 vintage cars. Comfortable, but not as much fun as these I'll bet..:cool::cool:

paulherman

Jan 28, 2005
The locomotives used for the daily excursions were made in 1923 and 1925. Don't know about the coaches and gondolas. The cost for the all-day trip is $62 per person - well worth the price.

N

nachoman

many of the coaches are well over 100 years old. Some are reproductions from the 1960s, and others reproductions form the 1980s. I believe they have 7 operable steamers right now.#s 473, 476, 478, 480, 481, 482, and 483.

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
Right when I thought I had weened myself from narrow guage, you have to throw that up here.

That's like offering a beer to an alchoholic.

I still need to get out there and make that trip.

paulherman

Jan 28, 2005
Yeah, if you really adore coal powered steam locos, you'd love Durango. You get to hear the whistles in the morning and evening as the trains come and go. And the whole town smells like coal soot.

Forgot to mention that they also have a nice museum on the grounds with another loco that was built in the late 1800's, a presidential pullman car, and other interesting things.

The excursion train runs in the winter too. They have a special car that is pulled just behind the tender that pushes the snow aside (picture below). This would make an unusual modeling project for some of you steamers.

Attachments

• train7.jpg
    train7.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 65