Durango Divison Under Attack From The Air

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Cheese and Crackers!!.....This would only happen to me!!:eek:

My layout is housed in a converted garage in my backyard. On opening the door and turning on the lights this morning it was observed that various structures were being dive bombed by a large number of huge black flys!!!:eek: A rather rancid odor was also detected.:eek:

After poking around for a few minutes I found that a squirill had decided to depart this life in the attic of the building and the flys were getting in thru a vent.:eek:

The dead carcass was removed but how to get rid of the flys without causing havok on the layout. Bug spray will mess up the track and swatting them will damge the building and scenery.:eek:

THE SHOP VAC TO THE RESCUE!!!:thumb: :D ... It took about 45 mins but I sucked those "invaders" up and then took it outside (unplugged of course) and gave the container a shot of bug spray. The "invaders" have been repelled!!!:thumb: Borrowed the HERPA air filter from down at the house and the odor is gone too:thumb:

Just wondering if anyone else's layout has been invaded by "aliens":D ....and no, I'm not trying to start another "cat on the layout" discussion:D :D :D

Clerk

Nov 6, 2002
Esparto, California
Visit site
About two months ago, I decided to run some trains on my double track layout. On the south end of the layout are two mountains with tunnels separated by a tressell. When one train entered the southwest mountain, a mouse ran out the other end over the tressell into the southeast mountain. Just then another train entered from the other direction. The mouse turned around and ran back over the tressel into the other mountain, met the other train and turned back again. It ran back and forth about 3 times and then decided that I was less a danger than those trains. It jumped off the tressell and headed directly at me and before I could catch it, jumped off the layout, ran across the room and was gone. I don't know what happened to the mouse but I never saw it again. I guess he had peed on the tracks as both trains stalled inside the mountain. After I cleaned the tracks, the trains ran fine:confused: :eek: :curse: :thumb:

jsolie

Feb 28, 2003
Murrieta, CA
members.aceweb.com
ROTFL! :D :D :D :D :D

Shop vacs are also good for catching lizards (at least certain types of vacs... ;) )

I suppose you could have also used a badminton racket on those flies, but then you'd have to deal with the rebound factor, plus the errant vigorous swing... :eek:

-- John

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Uhh, you guys did all that without first checking the endagered species list? :rolleyes: For shame, that could have been a rare breed of fly, and that mouse, well, you could very well have caused it emotional problems that now it will have to rely on government for assistance.:D :D

Climax1880

Feb 13, 2004
At the edge of the woods
Visit site
Is this a form of "Killer Rabbit" story?

Hey Vic:
You're in BIG trouble boy!!! First of all, you didn't report this to the EPA (Environmental Pest Agency) How do you know that these flies weren't on the Endangered species list??? AND, that part about using the vacuum on them... PETA will hear about this let me assure you!!! Talk about cruel and unusual... Well, you can expect a visit shortly from :cool: :cool: :cool: agents. Right about now, they are thinking up nefarious ways to confiscate your garage and levy a fine of about a gazzillion dollars. They will also, based on your past performances, want to know what happened to that squirrel:( :( :( I mean, squirrels don't just up and die do they? I thought that they lived forever and all came to frolic in my backyard. Or at least they used to until I bought the dogs...Oh Oh...foget that last

Just thought you'de enjoy a little humor today.

JR

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
You Missed A Couple!!!

Hey JR, I am still laughing:D but you missed a couple....:D :D :D

I drive a 350 Horsepower V8 SUV!!!:eek: and have been known to smoke a big old stinky cigar on occasions. :eek: :eek:

Oh...and BTW....The SEP (Squirrel Elmination Project) was started today with the help of my 1924 Remmington pellet rifle (they made them to work back then:thumb: ) The score so far....Vic 6..,Squirrels 0 ! :D :D :D

aartwmich

Nov 30, 2002
SW Michigan
www.angelfire.com
Originally posted by Vic

THE SHOP VAC TO THE RESCUE!!!:thumb: :D ... It took about 45 mins but I sucked those "invaders" up and then took it outside (unplugged of course) and gave the container a shot of bug spray. The "invaders" have been repelled!!!:thumb: Borrowed the HERPA air filter from down at the house and the odor is gone too:thumb:

Brilliant solution!! ;) Well done Vic!! :thumb: LMAO

Clerk the mouse story is..... :D :D ... woulda been a great video!!

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
There is another more humane solution to this in another thread here. It has to do with frogs, princes and robber barronesses. Any one of them would be willing and able to take care of this situation without causing an uproar.:thumb:

Oh, and welcome to the Gauge JR (Climax 1880).:wave: :wave: Where do you hail from? Your "a little humor" will not be wasted here. :thumb: :thumb:

Hey Val,

I know where you're coming from, but would you have
the same opinion regarding rats?? :confused:

When you put a furry tail on them, people suddenly
get protective !!!!

When they are invading your attic and chewing on
your woodwork and wiring, they are just like any
other pest. I really don't think hustling them on to
their next incarnation is all that harsh. :) :) :)

Shooting them is generally more humane than poison.
I realize this is non-train, but I just wanted to give Vic
a his Expert bar :D :D :D

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
I'm Sorry Val

I didn't mean to make you Boo-Hoo Val:eek:ops: They can be cute little critters but they are a terrible problem here. The reason being is that here it is not cold enough for them to hibernate in the winter and they multiply all year long:eek:

Just a few years ago the varmits gnawed into the roof of my house and there came a thunder storm. The result....over $3,000 damage to a plaster ceiling from rain water!!!:eek:

The local power company here hates them too....they are always "knocking out" tranformers!!:eek: and gnawing thru service lines to houses.:eek: There's been a number of house fires caused by squirrels gnawing the electrical wiring in the attics of homes.

Strange as it may seem, shooting them with a pellet rifle is the only legal way to get rid of them around here. Its illegal to trap or poison them, its illegal to shoot them with a powder weapon except during squirrel season but I can't do that because I live within the city limits where discharging a powder weapon is illegal but there is no ban on air powered weapons. Also its legal to kill squirrels out of season as long as you use an air rifle or a bow and arrow.

But I don't blame the "treerats"....their natural habitats have been destroyed by overdevelopment. But due to the damage they cause we have to just treat them as a "pest" around here.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Originally posted by ezdays
There is another more humane solution to this in another thread here. It has to do with frogs, princes and robber barronesses. Any one of them would be willing and able to take care of this situation without causing an uproar.:thumb:

Priththee mine friend and where doth such thread be located upon this board?:D Methinks that me trigger finger is beset with the dread stiffness of age and that mine eyesight be as murky waters.:D Alas! How doeth I long for the alternative solution:D :D :D :D