Dunny Rolls

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by Woodie, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Woodie

Woodie Active Member

I've managed to acumulate quite a few of those innner carboard toilet roll tubes. A 100 or so, actually, over the years. Any ideas what I could use these dunny rolls for? HO scale, or course. Also, I've got about 20 or so, of the those inner cardboard tubes from calculator/cash register rolls. Any ideas for a use for those as well?

Thanks guys. :wave:
  2. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

:D Grain Silos...Water towers, huge pipe load for a flat car.
    Got any egg cartons..You could make a catapiller :D :D :D :D ....
  3. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

The latest issue of Railway Modeller shows someone's use of cardboard tubes as a scenery former -- thick cardboard base and tubes mounted vertically and cut to shape, covered with newspapers.
    Hornby Dublo used to put little hard rolls over the couplings and buffers to protect them in the boxes.
    Which reminds me, Cable reels -- scribe planks around the outside and cover the open ends.
  4. petepuma

petepuma Member

I've never heard them called dunny rolls before...Interesting term!
  5. MCL_RDG

MCL_RDG Member

You're, uh, well...

... making nervous wood-man!

Mark :eek:
  6. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Cement plant cilos? You could create a huge complex with all you have!
  7. Zman

Zman Member

Alaska pipe line?
  8. RailRon

RailRon Active Member

Oil storage tanks, or other chemical tanks in an industrial complex.

Or in a rural setting: Polyester cattle fodder silos (how exactly are they called?) near a farm house or a barn. (Looks best if they are made of wrapped cardboard with a diagonally running separating line along the tube.)

9. mhdishere

mhdishere Member

I used a core from wrapping paper for the base for my coal silos, covered them with stained balsa-wood boards.
  10. engineshop

engineshop Member

11. Pitchwife

Pitchwife Dreamer

I tried Martha but she had no idea what to do with them. :D :D

Not for HO but for N, cut them in half lengthwise for quanset huts. :thumb:
  12. Glen Haasdyk

Glen Haasdyk Active Member

I use thm for paint stands when I'm airbrushing an engine or car, just push in into the shell from the bottom with a bit of masking tape to keep the shell on as you are spraying.
  13. jim currie

jim currie Active Member

never used dunny rolls but used tubes out of paper towels glued together in lots of 12 to hold brass and plastic rods and other shapes ;)