Dumb thing to do...

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by spitfire, Dec 2, 2002.

1. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

How about this for a not so smart move? I go to the hardware store, buy a bunch of lights and such, and a 12v battery which I wanted to use to check out some new traffic signals I bought earlier.

I unwrap the battery and put it in my pocket, planning to go downstairs to check it out. I get distracted briefly (by the refrigerator and its contents if you must know) and I'm happily snacking out when I wonder - why is my pocket getting so HOT???!!!

Turns out it's the damn battery, which is apparently shorting out or something -- the terminals are in contact with the change rattling around in the same pocket!!!!!

Ooohhh. Yeah. Toasty!

:rolleyes: Val
  2. interurban

interurban Active Member

Hey were there any sparks ???:D :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :D :D
    Now you know how the traction units feel

Cheers Chris.:p :p :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  3. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

You know Val, you left yourself wide open on this but I'm going to be a nice guy and not say anything (I'll let Jon hammer ya :D :D :D ). :)
  4. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Great story Val and a cautionary tale for all! Will you be changing your Gauge identity to "Battery Powered Member"? :)
  5. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

That's a great idea except for one thing. The danged battery doesn't work now. I guess if I were battery-powered, with my talent for ruining batteries inside the Dark and Dismal Pocket from Hell, I would be lying flat out on the floor right now, waiting for someone to come along with an AC adapter.

---------------------------------------------- (that's my EKG)
  6. kettlestack

kettlestack Member

Val, what a lovely heart (or hip) warming story. :D :D It couldn't have happened to a nicer person :) .

I've heard of money burning a hole in ones pocket but I thought it was just an expression!!:D :D :eek:

7. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Thanks Val!

I always thought I was the only onme this had happened to!

And you're right...those batteries aint worth %$#@ after that!
  8. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Did you manage to weld your change together?
  9. Vic

Vic Active Member

You're Lucky

Glad no harm was done....I've seen them explode like a big 'ol firecracker when shorted out. :eek: Talk about "a hole in 'yer pocket"!:D :D :D
  10. davidstrains

davidstrains Active Member

I guess both you and us (the Gauge folks) are lucky that you messed up with a plain 12 volt battery and not your megabuck power battery for your new camera. What would we do without those great photos that you have been sending.

Did you learn anything from this "heated" experience?:D :D :p
  11. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Yeah - I learned that there's more than one way to have hot pants!

BTW, I'm thinking of marketing my latest invention. It's a pocket-warmer and change-purse* in one!

(*batteries not included).

12. RailRon

RailRon Active Member

Better sell them with a choice of batteries:

12 Volt - Change-purse & Pocket warmer
    24 Volt - Change-purse & Torchlight
    48 Volt - Change-purse & Arc-welder
    :D :D :D

13. PennRailRoads

PennRailRoads Member

Maybe that age old saying is kinda true.

"Liar Liar pants on fire!" :D

I hope you didn't lie to any one before hand. ;) :D

Just a reminder, 12 volt batteries and loose pocket change is NOT a good combination.
  14. billk

billk Active Member

Just be glad it wasn't a BA-5800 battery. You might be missing some (vital) body parts!
  15. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

Hi Val,
    Good thing you're not a sailor, or we'd have a case of " A salt and battery" ;) ;) :D
  16. davidstrains

davidstrains Active Member

Always did like a girl with "hot pants" Here is one that is a real "ball of fire" and perhaps a "pocket full of miracles":D :D :D. We gotta stop this. This is a "family" rated forum:eek: :eek: :) :)
  17. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

OK, Pete, as the official peanut gallery supervisor, I'm going to have to ask you to leave the peanut gallery for 15 minutes for that one:D :D :D , and in fact, I'm kicking myself out for 5 for quoting it :mad: :rolleyes: :confused: :p Val, you're in charge until I get back!:cool: :cool: :cool:
  18. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Ahhh, the power. Wait a minute - just what did you mean by "in charge"?

:D Val
  19. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

Batteries SHOULD NOT be included
  20. Ravensfan

Ravensfan Member