Dumb Regarding Trains...How much is my set worth?

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by Mystica24, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Mystica24

Mystica24 New Member

Howdy :). I received a lovely Gilbert American Flyer train set. I am curious how much this set is worth. I will give you as much detail as I can on it, and feel free to ask questions.

Gilbert 3/16" scale American Flyer

Comes with the following:

- 961 Jefferson Car
    - 962 Hamilton Car
    - 963 Washington Car
    -561 Diesel Horn
    -772 Water Tower

(These above items are in excellent condition in their original boxes).

These following items do not have their original boxes and do show some wear:

- Erector Toy Transformer
    - Oval shaped Remote w/ Miles Per hour indicator and red switch
    - Box FULL of track

Can anyone tell me anything about this set? Thanks :thumb:

P.S. The date on the boxes is 1947
  2. kchronister

kchronister Member

What it's "worth" is open to debate. Is it worth the "appraised value" is it worth the "insurance value"??? My opinion is it's "worth" what someone will pay for it. One easy way to get a read on this is to go to Ebay and search for similar items in the completed auctions.

Other than that, take any estimation of value as being "amateur" and "anecdotal" unless it comes from someone with expertise who explains what he/she means by "worth".
  3. Mystica24

Mystica24 New Member

Ok can anybody tell me what it could be worth in either amateur OR professional opinion? LOL. I need some sort of reply that can help, thanks :)
  4. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Boy, that's a tall order. Getting someone to commit to an appraisal on the internet without actually even seeing pictures is going to be tough. Take it to a local train shop and get an opinion, go find an antique appraiser if you want a specific price range. Your best bet was suggested, that you go on eBay and see if you can find like items in the same condition as your stuff and see what they're asking or bidding. Something is only worth what others are willing to pay, that's the best way to find out what the current value is of most anything, what are people willing to pay...
  5. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

Without the number on the locomotive I can't give you any kind of range on that. Track isn't worth much; figure maybe a dollar apiece for the straights and 50 cents apiece for the curves if they aren't rusty. Rusty track is pretty much worthless. For the transformer, a general rule of thumb is to take the wattage, then divide that by two, so a 100W transformer might be worth 50 bucks if it works. The higher the wattage, the better this rule works. It's pretty easy to find someone willing to pay $150 for a 300W transformer, maybe even a little more. A bottom-of-the-line 40W unit won't have many takers for $20. It might not even go for $10, although I think they're a bargain at that price. (Flyer transformers will also work with Lionel and Marx but not everyone knows that.)

My price guide is dated, so these values are only for a rough idea. I know postwar Lionel has taken a beating in recent years on price. The same may be true for Flyer. Since this isn't a run-of-the-mill freight set, I'm more confident that the value is at least what I'm quoting here.

961: $50
    962: $50
    963: $50
    561: $25
    772: $75

There are numerous variations of the 960-series cars. I went with the most common. This will at least get you in the ballpark. Now you know what to do if someone offers to give you 50 bucks for it. Condition is everything. If you're being generous when you say "Excellent," the value will be lower. If you're grading strictly, they may be a bit higher. Having the boxes increases the value.