Dullcoat alternatives

Discussion in 'Weathering Forum' started by Gary S., Feb 11, 2007.

1. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

Is there another product that you guys use for dulling and sealing your weathering jobs? When we say "dullcoat" I am assuming we are talking about the little can that Testor's makes? There is bound to be some sort of flat sealer in a full size spray can that can be obtained from a craft store? Any brand names yall use?
  2. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

Ok, I sometimes seal my work with Artist's Flat Finish (comes in a can from your local art store) It's about $5.00 for a standard size spray can full of the stuff, and should last practically forever, even though I do many sealings a day in my weathering business.

Here's a link

3. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

Thank you kindly sir.
  4. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

You're very welcome! :) There is one advantage to the Flat finish that the Dullcote cannot achieve. When you use light powders w/ dullcote, it disappears! :eek: With the flat finish, it stays, and overall performs better than dullcote in the long run, plus, flat finish will keep your car nice for the next...mmm....1500 years! jawdrop
  5. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

1500 years! Woohoo! There is a moderate possibility that I will finish the layout within 1500 years!
  6. jbaakko

jbaakko Active Member

*hummm* I'll have to look into this!
  7. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Most sprays in cans, including Dulcote, put out too much spray to get a decent, thin finish. Dulcote is available in jars, and can be thinned with lacquer thinner, then applied with an airbrush, giving more control and less waste. Floquil and MicroScale also make flat finishes (for airbrushing), but I personally prefer Dulcote.

8. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Member

Make sure you experiment first. I've tried several clear "matte" or "flat" finishes available from hardware or craft stores. If you're not real careful and apply really thin coats, I almost allways ended up with a slight sheen that I didn't get with dullcoat. It depends a lot on what you're spraying.