Duckunders are evil.

Hunkiedoo

Why does science refuse to recognize the strange physical properties of duckunders that cause them to lower themselves one inch per year? Probably something going on at the sub-atomic level. :)

I know this to be a fact; 20 years ago I would plant one foot under the duckunder, bend, turn and, presto, I was on the other side. Now I squat down, shuffle an inch at a time then slowly press myself up. Durn thing lowered itself - no other explanation.

But I am fighting back: Pipe insulation snapped to the bottom of the "L" girder helps. But the breakthrough invention is the "Geezer-glider" - just some old casters attached to a footstool.

Attachments

• Geezer_Glider.jpg
    Geezer_Glider.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 16
  • Pipe_insul_BP.jpg
    Pipe_insul_BP.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 17

Hunkiedoo

Duckunders - OOPS attached the wrong photo

Here is the correct photo. :eek:ops: :eek:ops:

Attachments

• duckunder_foam.jpg
    duckunder_foam.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 18

Pooh Bah
I add some foam insulation to mine. I also did it to the entry into the crawl space.
We were doing some major moving this week (Christmas boxes) and I removed the section and we still ducked going through the door.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
I think I read somewhere that it has something to do with the contraction and expansion of the benchwork, which may result in bumps on heads and scrapped up backs.
Sometimes the modeller expands too.....This may result in diets and memberships at Gold's Gym.

Sacrificed shorter radi for curves and remodeled the benchwork and layout to get rid of the dreaded duckunder, not for me anymore. Like HD states it was fine 20 years ago, but again that was 20 years ago not now..Ron..

Hunkiedoo, I hate to be the one to bust your bubble but your "Geezer-Glider" is only a temporary setback for the ever-lowering layout. Duck, step, and twist will in a very short time end up as hands and knees, then to lay,roll, and do your best to get up. I say "Death to all duck-unders".

Lynn :( :( :(

steamhead

Hi,

When building my layout (around the room) I was confronted with the fact that somewhere I would have to build the dreaded duck-under...Didn't give it much thought since I'm on the lighter side & still somewhat flexible. No problem. One day the ol' man came to look things over and he definitely couldn't manage the Beast (knee surgery..). I figured I might find myself in the same spot a few years down the road. So, out came the duck-under & built myself a lift out section. I was glad I did...

Gus (LC&P).

babydot94513

Member in training
I like the "geezer slider" concept. While I am not there just yet, I will keep the idea in mind for when I am - and like we all will be<g>

JD

Russ Bellinis

If you don't want to waste valuable model building time on a "geezer glider", get a mechanic's brake stool. I think Harbor Freight sells them for less than $20.00.

brakie

I don't know how or IF the thing gets smaller..We have several duck unders at the club and I have stood in awl as 60 and 70 year old members would use the duck unders with ease while some of us "younger" guys would hear our knees crack and bang our backs or heads on the layout.. :cry: :eek:ops:

A point to ponder..Why do they call 'em a duck under any way? I am yet to see a duck using a duck under.:rolleyes: