Dual Tech II 2800 controller run 3 trains?

Pelham Manor Ca

I have a unitrack layout using k1 & K3 sets. I am going to add another layout using Unitrack Set Double Track Viaduct Set.
I have a Dual Tech II 2800 controller which will run 2 trains.
When I add the new double track layout, I will have 3 tracks available.
Since my Dual Tech II 2800 controller has only 2 connectors to run 2 trains, how can I run 3 trains at the same time?

The double track comes with 2 connectors. Can take these 2 connectors and connect them to a Kato 24-827 3-way extension cord, with this extension connected to my number 2 train connector.
Will I then be able to run 3 trains a the same time or will it drain the power?
I hope I explained it clear enough.

I think it's time for you to go DCC... It's a lot easier to run multiple engines independently using DCC rather than cab control using electrical blocks as you are doing now.

jim currie

:wave: welcome to the gauge :wave: unless your loco have a very high amp draw it will be ok .if you want one of the tracks off you will have to put a switch in line with it or DC blocking as it is called.

pgandw

I believe you are saying you have 3 separate tracks for the 3 trains. As Jim said, if the current draws are reasonable, it will work. However, 2 of the trains are controlled together - they get the same voltage and direction at all times.

The best solution is always one throttle per operating train. You will need another power pack for this. Later, if you want to connect the routes and intermix the trains on the track, you will have to create electrically isolated sections of track called blocks so that each block where a train is can be assigned to the throttle controlling that particular train.

DCC does away with the need for blocks and their electrical switches by installing decoders in the locomotives. The DCC throttle then sends speed and other commands to the selected decoder. DCC is really worthwhile when you are running more than 2 trains simultaneously over the same track.

my thoughts, your choices

Pelham Manor Ca

Unitrack set Double Track Viaduct Set

Okay, thank you for the help.
Now I have another question.
Does anyone know how high the Unitrack double track viaduct set (KAT-20-840) is?
Is it high enough for trains to go below it?
I cannot buy it until I get this answer and I cannot tell from the picture.
Thank you

Pelham Manor Ca

Kato N scale 24-827 3-way Extension Cord

OOPS!!
I forgot to ask another question relating to my first question.

Is the Kato N scale 24-827 3-way extension cord what I think it is?

Does it give me the capability to connect 3 feeder track connectors to it and then one connector to my controller?

I need to know before I buy it.
Thank you
Be patient, I am very new at this and doing it very late in life.
I am not making a huge layout. Just enough so I can enjoy 3 trains running and adding some buildings etc.

pasayten

The Kato 3-way does have a blue box with 3 connectors to recieve the connectors from Kato feeder tracks or kato terminal unijoiners... and on the other side a single plugin connector on a 3ft wire that does go to a power pack... but really to fit into "their" power pack... You would most likely just cut this plug off and crimp on some spade connectors for your MRC power pack and you would only connect it to the terminals for one throttle... And all tracks connected would run thru the one throttle...

I have a MRC Tech 4 280 dual control power pack with dual throttles and have set up a multiple mainline control option... I use additional dpdt switches and have track sections electrically isolated from each other to route power/throttles in a variety of ways... Many good books and info on the net and forums like this about setting this up...

But, back to your case... I would skip the 3-way and just cut off the connectors on your feeder tracks and use crimp on connectors to join and wire to your power pack in the configuration of your choice... Maybe the wires for one line of the double track to one throttle, and the wires for the other double track joined to your loop track wires run to the other throttle... or something like that... You just need to keep the sections on different throttles electrically isolated from each other... If you decide to join all the sets into somekind of dual mainline option, and roughly sketch up a track plan you would like, I am sure you can get a response on the forum on how to wire it up... If I see a sketch, I will surely help you out as I just set up a 3 1/2 x 7ft layout using all Kato Unitrak, feeders/terminal unijoiners, and a MRC Tech 4 280 power pack.

Happy RR!

pasayten